type of motor oil

is this eng. rebuilt or org. if org. id would use non detergent a heavy detergent will clean 60 years worth of crud out of where its stuck and put it in the suction of the oil pump (where you don't want it) id also use a single grade oil according to ambient temp. if eng has been cleaned and rebuilt id use a detergent single grade (that's what it was designed to run on) and the detergent will keep it cleaner

I have a 54 Mack with the 707 gas engine ,I was told to use 15w40 motor oil ,should it be detergentor non-detergent oil type? thanks

I use SAE 30 as what was originally called for. Most of these guys would probably say use a 15w40. This is really your call. I try to go with what Mack would have used. I like a detergent oil in all of my engines but chose to use the oil that was already in my thermodyne.

mike

Just from personal experience, I had no idea what the previous owner had for oil in the B C R's motor (END 673D w/turbo added),when I bought the truck in '01. I changed to Rotella 15W40 (the same oil I had run in my work trucks). I ran for a few weeks (running the truck every now and then-probably 20 hours),drained it.Then I took off the removable sump (great engineering) off the oil pan and found a little sludge.Cleaned it up,replaced the sump and changed oil & filter. Had a slight decrease in oil pressure last spring when I started it up. Changed out the oil press. guage,with no luck.Then went to the oil press. relief valve,pulled it out & cleaned it.Got my oil pressure back. Whew! Easy fix!!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

If you want to go through the hassle add a couple of cans of oil flush(risolene or equivilant) then drain. Repeat until oil is clean, You should.

pull the pan and clean the screen and sump, Fill with 15W40 detergent oil as others have said. As stated above the newer detergent oils are far superior

to non detergent oils. However it is more of a hassle and a little more expensive. Good luck.

• 8 years later...

How about pre filling the oil filter, fill the engine til its in the range,  count your qt's..  crank it , run 1 minute, let sit for 10 minutes and top off, keep track of what you put in..   easy breezy...  jojo

• Like 1