Wheel upgrade

Yeah just cross reference the mack numbers at any Fleetpride, TruckPro or other truck parts place.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I gotta ask why? I work mine everyday and yes the convenience of a hub pilot wheel would be nice,but there is no way I could justify the cost of a complete all axle swap .

I think Leslie is having a difficult time locating "nice" stud piloted aluminum wheels. But I will leave the explaining to Leslie.

P.S. Notice I didn't type "assume". :rolleyes:

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

You should be able to swap a front axle for about $400-$500 and a drive for around $650-$750, that's new bearings, drums and all. I can get used stud piloted aluminum wheels around $200 ea and most are rough, used hub pilots are around $150 and most are nice, just need to be polished.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

What Ray said, you don't have to do it all right now, just swap the rear hubs and you can even go low buck and put some steel wheels on it for now, do it as you have the cash, of course I have noticed the hub pilot wheels from the scrap places are about 50-100 for steel and 100-200 aluminum, so its not much different. Also remember that there are several stud lengths and you need to get the right studs to be able to use aluminum wheels and even longer for two aluminum wheels as they are twice as thick as steel. I don't think you would need aluminum inside and out though unless you just really wanted them, your not going for a lighter weight for payload just looks so that will save you some cash right there, $50 each for 4 steel inside wheels and about $150 each for 4 aluminum outside wheels thatll save you $400 right there.

Only on certain hubs FullFuel, most of the 90's hubs were the same hub diameter but 70's and 80's they are rare to cross and center the wheel properly. If it doesn't have tabs sticking out, it won't hold center and you'll get a bounce.

Do the hubs on your older trucks have hub alignment tabs? I've only seen very few on older trucks and always figured they swapped the hub, my 85 doesn't have em.

There were 6 stud-piloted 24.5 Alcoas at Macungie this past summer for $75 each.

Looked weel and needed polishing for shure.

I payed the same figure for the same amount in the same condition, they're travelling over the sea right in the moment.

On my mind a reason to use inner steel's is doubty, they'll need to be cleaned up of rust and pained just to not to be pieces of sh*t.

As far as used alloys need polishing there's a matter to think more about new ones.

And if you go that way you can get Dura-bright's but hub-piloted only.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

when you upgrade buy some of theses so you don't get the vibration problem of off center wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMffpydv_0

They are a little pricey I think but everyone I talk to say they are worth the money and don't have to worry about the tire man not getting it right. Different manufactures out there so you can shop a little

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I'm going to have to take a look on my front hubs. Pretty sure my front hubs the centre of the rim rides on a solid ring in the centre.I want to put a wider set of aluminum rims and a set of 365/65x22.5 steering tires on someday and it's a lot easier to find hub pilots than stud pilots whether you're looking at new or used. I bought new Accuride aluminum rims for my drives in the spring for $225 each brand new. For that price I couldn't bother with used ones everyone wanted $200 for used around here.