New purchase with camelback issues!

R.E.D

As I mentioned before on a different tread...I purchase truck in avatar because I believe it was a great set up for the work I do.96 rd688 with a 9 speed maxitorque..my rear suspensions has a lot of side to side travel when taking a turn (as much a 6")...Thinking it would solve the prob I had the trunnion bushings replaced along with the rubber supports for the springs..but still the issue persists mostly when making a right turn....Also it looks like previous owner ran truck with bad trunnion bushings for a good while cuz all the four botton caps (see pic below) are busted in from the spring constant rubbing.Trunion has no outside cap so im guessing its 38k but im not sure.truck has a very short wheelbase which I believe contributed to this whole deal.Im running out of options and don't relly feel like spending another grand on parts and labor...things got so bad that chassis smacked against a axle side cover and cut a whole in it and oil was everywhere..please advice on this matter.

thanks for your support

RED

post-16358-0-72270000-1387079074_thumb.p

Edited by R.E.D
  • Like 1

Put the body up and take some pictures of the top side of the rear diff. With that kind of movement, it sounds like the track bar is not there. Should be a bar running from the right side frame rail to a bracket bolted to the rear diff.

There are two other bars, one each to the diffs that bolt to the trunnion cross member that run parallel to the frame rails.

Something is really worn or broken or missing.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

If there's no cap on the trunnion shaft its got rubber bushings and they have more movement than the bronze bushings. Like above sounds like its missing the transverse torque rod, they made that addition in the mid 80's to stop the walk of the axles. The transverse torque rod has a bracket bolted to he back of the rear carrier and the torque rod runs across to the right frame rail and bracket which has two bolts holding it in the frame. If you replaced the trunnion bushings, wedges and shock absorber pads at each end of the spring it shouldn't be able to move enough to touch the carrier to the frame. Did you replace ALL the pieces, both top and bottom rubber pads and the wedges on each side?

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Also make sure items 7,8 and 9 in your drawing aren't cracked.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Item #11 usually don't come on 38k but you can install to keep the spring from twisting in the spring cap .also item #7 can be change to a one piece steel bonded spring saddle . Ive always change and did away with rubber bushing . A little costly but well worth it.

• Like 1

Ed

Can anyone post a pic of how the torque rod sits as installed in a truck...and how much am I looking at for that part.Part # 9 is severely worn where the arrow is pointing , all four of them!!...can I just run a couple weld beads to return is shape or it would not matter after the torque rod is in place..

(fyi the diagram above I took off the web to show what I was trying to say, its not an exact representation off what is in the truck).

thanks in advance

RED

Here's a pic of the brackets and rod, mines not bolted to the back of the carrier yet just the bottom and the frame. Global truck parts, Winrock truck parts, the list goes on should have them on the ground.

post-5240-0-76565500-1387136307_thumb.jp

Make sure u bolts are torqued to 1700lb. ft. before you do anything else.

+1,also let someone move the truck back and forward while turning hard and you get back there and see what and where its moving, take a close look at the saddle #8 where the spring sits,very possible the spring is twisting in the saddle if its worn on the sides from previous movement, the way your talking something is very very wrong, broken, or just plain worn out.Good luck