Some Star-Spangled Bulldogs

Nice article and pictures Al ! thanks for sharing,i remember seeing the Danella Bros.Construction R-Model when I was younger. I always liked the stars and Stripes on a Mack!..............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

Interesting that it was 1972; almost everyone came out with some version of the stars and stripes paint scheme for the bicentennial in 1976. I guess Mack was showing the way.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Thanks,Mark.I figured one of you east coast guys would recognize some of the trucks.The outfit with the DM-600's on the cover,had 110 of the stars & stripes DM's running around D.C. at that time! Had to be a sight to see! While building the subway at that time,the trucks were running 24 hours a day.I think the stars & stripes campaign actually started in '70 or '71 if I'm not mistaken.I think Mr. Hansen wanted MACK to be ready for the Bi-centennial celebration earlier than anyone else. :bulldog1:

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

always thought it was 76 to. funny to learn it was earlier. looks like they had a few different paint schemes, some has white frames and white rims some had white frames with red rims and some had complete red frames and wheels and rims. somewhere I have seen a picture of one of the big off road quary Macks in the red white and blue to

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It says that the Prestonburg "CF" was the only red, white and blue Mack fire truck in the U.S. I seem to remember that the Baltic Fire Company in Sprague, Ct. had one also.

Reading the Baltic website, it said that in 1976 they painted both their 1958 "B" model and 1968 "CF" pumpers red, white, and blue. Unfortunately, they don't have r/w/b pictures

on the website. Perhaps Prestonburg's was the only one delivered from the factory in that paint scheme.

bulldogboy

I agree that the CF was probably NOT the only one at the time. I tried to buy one a couple years ago, but the owner decided to keep it. I think the price would have been higher if it was the only one.

Chevy had a Spirit of American Nova and other models out in '74. I Always thought it was dumb that is was not done in '76. I stole this picture from the intraweb. I'm pretty sure Cub Cadet had its own version but maybe not. Mike

post-7810-0-85400800-1389193601.jpg

Edited by yarnall