Work begins on the B-815SX

The fire engine is running. I just re-torqued the heads per instructions and am working to finish that up and get the hood in place. The brake booster is out for rebuild and I'm hunting down two wheel cylinders. Other than that I need to tighten up some wiring, make sure the fuel pump and filter can handle the job, and get some 9:00R20's on it. It's really close and I plan on having it in the Woburn parade next October if I can.

Keep the pictures coming. I'd hang that door on the wall as a souvenir and get one without rust to replace it. It would make a great decoration. Good luck. Mike

That's a great idea. I have two doors in better shape off of a parts truck I picked clean. I have to fix up where mirror brackets were welded on and bolted but the damage should be easily fixed. That door has no bottom...the hornets love to build a nest inside the hole where the lock should be every year. I hate those suckers.

I'll have to find a spot in the garage for that old door...that's art!

The brake booster is out for rebuild and I'm hunting down two wheel cylinders.

If you have the wheel cylinders the best route is to send them out to be sleeved. It will cost you around $50.00 each and they are guaranteed for life. Try White Post Restoration in VA if you don't have a source.

If the wheel cylinders are missing give me a shout; I may have what you need.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

If you have the wheel cylinders the best route is to send them out to be sleeved. It will cost you around $50.00 each and they are guaranteed for life. Try White Post Restoration in VA if you don't have a source.

If the wheel cylinders are missing give me a shout; I may have what you need.

Funny you mention that. I sent the four out to be rebuilt mostly to save time and ensure quality work. The post office (the institution with which I will never send packages again) did me a favor and lost one each of the front and rear cylinders. I can do one side and not the other. I need a 2" and I believe an 1 3/4" to finish the set. I don't recall that they were left/right handed so any should work unless you know otherwise.

Let me know! I need to buy some somewhere.

Thanks

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

5111613_zps11f94153.jpg3111613_zps1caedb23.jpg

1111613_zpsce807fe4.jpg6111613_zps8a532b96.jpg4111613_zps2d0287fd.jpg2111613_zps8ba99436.jpg

Did some work yesterday. Tore the left front off, both doors, the air cleaner and the corner markers from the bumper. The floors look solid although they have plenty of man made holes to patch up. Once I have stuff all apart I will start blasting and prepping for paint. I suspected but am sure it was orange from the factory. I kind of like that as it will not be yet another red or green Mack. Tanks and radiator to be black I think. I need to write to the museum for the info on it still...guess now is a good time. It's kind of a pain that they used nuts and bolts rather than captured nuts. They must have assembled them in teams as one guy can do both ends. I think I have to pull the heater box to get the air cleaner bracket off...Oh well. Hey is the that an oil cooer in the picture of the engine? The hoses out to the housing by the drivers door are hard as rocks. Is that an oil filter housing? if so what goes in it? I plan to replace the hoses. what do we think of orange?

Thanks

Greg

• Like 2

Sent a note to the Mack Museum for the paperwork for the truck this morning. Can't wait to see what comes back. If I came up with an 864 to try to run, are there any parts available anywhere or is it 100% custom made to order if at all cause you can't buy it anywhere? I'm wondering if it is a major risk or not. Pushing the old girl would suck!

Greg

Yes from the pic that appears to be a oil cooler. The line coming off the front by the rad hose is a pressure line just like a hyd hose so it will be hard and not very flexable. And yes that is your luber-finner filter housing it takes a large cartridge style element. There are two sizes (if i remember correct only two) a small and large most macks take the smaller of the two sizes. The other line is lower pressure back to the cooler. As far as the v8's their hard to find and parts are even harder. This was brought up on a different page and it was said that parts are almost non existent. If im wrong here someone please correct me.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

I spent some more hours cutting stuff off and up. I have almost two of everything and none of it is good enough to just clean up and paint. I have a bunch of items that if I take half of each of the pair and weld them together I'll have a good piece. I see a lot of cutting and welding in my future. It's almost funny that the top of my original is solid and the bottom rotted off and the exact opposite for the other parts. No complaints though. I'm having a blast.

I hope to sand blast the parts up and start making good parts piece by piece. I'll prime them all up as they are completed and get them ready for finishing and paint. It is amazing how much extra stuff there is on the truck. I pulled a pile of stuff off that was added for one reason or another along the way. I ordered some sheet steel and some small angle irons to patch up the nose pieces. They are all either rotted or torn from abuse along the way. I have a good plan to make up some nice pieces as long as I don't run out of wire or welding gas.

I drained two gallons of oil out of the oil filter housing. My passenger saddle tank has a pretty good leak too. I've got to empty it (or wait it out). I figure if I get it empty and blast it up I can find the leak. I bet it wore through on the rear tank support as that is where it is dripping from. I'll have to purge it with CO2 and weld it up if it doesn't look too bad.

I'm thinking Hugger orange for the body work and black for the frame, radiator, tanks and battery boxes. It looks so far like the entire truck was orange and that is of course the other option...I'm not 100% on it yet...

• 1 month later...

Still struggling to post here for some reason. Here goes for the fifth time. Got my mack info Friday on the truck. It was one of four ordered for United excavating in Linden nj. They cancelled and Pacifica trucking wound up with mine. Serial numbers were B815sx 1227 through 1230. Mine is 1229. All were orange dumps. I found mine in Perthamboy three years ago. Does anybody know anything about the companies then or now? Does anybody know where the other three trucks might be? A reunion would be cool.

Thanks.

Greg

Greg,

Good choice with the hugger orange cab/fenders and black chassis and running gear. I've got an 82 steel nose RD686SX roll-off that I am both rebuilding and shortening into a tractor and that's my choice for colors. I am a huge fan of red and black, but want to do something a little different.

• 3 months later...

I've got a 2V E6-250 turbo replacement engine in the 815. The stock oil filter is in place and I'm good with that and know what to get. The fuel filters are not numbered and I need new ones. They look like they came with the E6 and sit up under the nose of the truck. They are spin ons and one is green and one is orange or red. I think they are mack primary and secondary filters but what is correct? Any help is appreciated.

Work continues. The nose is comming along and hopefully close to paint soon. The LH saddle tank is off as it is rubbed through and rusted through in two spots. I blasted it saturday and plan to flood with CO2 prior to welding for safety. I'll use a second bottle and regulator, block off all but one way in and one way out and purge in good shape priort to welding. Diesel is much less volitile than gasoling but I don't want to take any chances...

Pictures to come soon...such a pain to post here but I guess it is for a reason...

Thanks for the filter thoughts guys

Greg

Some progress pictures attached. Hopefully I have a handle on how this works...The front end was all ripped or rotted but I've patched it all up with lots of fresh steel. I have parts off of three trucks and some sheets of steel in the works in these pictures. Making everything straight is a challenge as dents and twists are the norm not the exception. A bad day of this is still better than a good day at work...More to come.

post-7266-0-77357700-1399375598_thumb.jp

post-7266-0-96199000-1399375618_thumb.jp

post-7266-0-77585100-1399375640_thumb.jp

post-7266-0-68290200-1399375657_thumb.jp

post-7266-0-55907000-1399375680_thumb.jp

post-7266-0-41237400-1399375705_thumb.jp