truck crash, loader kills truck driver

rsb502

I had forgotten about this wreck until I stumbled on it today, I looked around at all the pics again and I can see the truck was going downhill and I don't see ANY chains or binders on the trailer, even if it broke loose there would be pieces of tem still laying there somewhere, I got nothing.

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2013/01/13/clarksville-police-reports-man-dies-when-front-end-loader-shifts-on-his-flatbed-and-comes-to-rest-on-the-cab/

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I see whats left of about a 5/16 chain on the loader but the thing on the road is a flag, I just looked again, no binder or other chain I can see.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

if you look at the semi day light pic of it on the cab there is one binder near the chain on the loader on the ground and one on the other side at the front of the trailer nothing at the back, it seemed odd to me when it happened I remember looking at the pics I got on my email saying theres no chains on the back(front of the loader) and theres no stop sign or red light it had to just start rolling downhill. Hell I would have at least 5 chains on that sucker, one on each corner and one on the bucket, had stuff shift on me when I was getting started so Im more cautious now. Of course I used to haul 330 excavators with 4 binders on the grouser pads and no chains too.

Not be be annoying but if you look in the picture thats shows the front with the firefighter on the left and the cops on the right you can see one ratchet binder next to the cop's foot and then there is a chain close to the person taking the picture and then another binder back by the firemen. Whatever did happen its still a terrible thing that happened.

Matt

yeah, just seems like there wasn't enough and it was only on the back of the loader pulling forward toward the truck, sucks for sure and being a nationalease truck and trailer it may have been something he rarely did. Just goes to show you can never be too careful, this stuff will kill you if you let it.

The daylight photos definitely show two binders and a partial chain laying in the road. One of the nighttime photos shows an oversize flag on the roadway.

Denny

330-550-6020

A "Mack Pack" Charter Member

As my grandfather & his drivers especially his lowboy driver always said "you never have enough chains on a piece of equipment ."

We used a MINNIMUM OF 4 Chains to a piece of equipment . I have seen my pops lowboy driver have 6 to 8 chains on a TD15 IH Dozer.

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

Just moved our 644 the other day and had 5 chains on it. 2 front 2 back and one across the center. D.O.T wants everything with a bucket

to have a chain across it also nowadays. I think they are just being picky though with that. I figure if the bucket is going somewhere its

because I'm upside down and have bigger issues at that point. I also thought you should always try to face the exhaust of the machine

away from the wind as not to have the turbo spinning with no oil. Always see covers on truck stacks when they are being towed backwards.

post-13943-0-51049200-1383269236_thumb.j

• Like 2

Anything with a cutting edge, the edge is supposed to face the rear. Those turbo savers are pretty cheap, you can make your own cheap. I have heard of a couple guys here getting tickets for hauling dozers loaded like your loader because of the edge facing forward.

• Like 1

I like to load rubber tire loaders down with the bucket pushed into the neck. Just like Peter did in his pic. Yea it's one extra step in the secure process but I like knowing the bucket is helping keep the machine from moving forward. Not to mention when you are hauling forks and a bucket. It keeps it in view and again easy to chain to the deck.one other thing, I wish all of the mfg of these machines would put d rings on the arm of these loaders. It would allow you to secure the arm and machine with just 2 chains/binders. Same at the rear. Some mfg put pick up points at the rear lower corners that really make securing them down safe and easy but not all mfg have the d rings at the rear.

Anything with a cutting edge, the edge is supposed to face the rear. Those turbo savers are pretty cheap, you can make your own cheap. I have heard of a couple guys here getting tickets for hauling dozers loaded like your loader because of the edge facing forward.

yup that law has been effect here in Tn for a number of years now .

I know 2 Excavating companies in Memphis that fined out the ass for having a Dozer blade or loader bucket facing the front .

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

I can't imagine what difference it make having the edge one way or another. Any way you slice it, if you get wound up with that edge it's gonna peal you open. You can hit it and it can hit you in either orientation. I'd prefer it forward where it can fetch up against the goose neck and do something to stop the load in an emergency. More chains and binders and some straps for insurance are a good thing...I'd say 5 is the minimum and they need to be in tension in line with the truck to help start and stop the load with the trailer. I see guys with all sorts of criss cross stuff and I don't think any of it does anything except protect from cross winds...

It's dangerous stuff. Good to know about the regulations and the turbo concerns. I'd never heard either...thanks for the tips and God Bless!

I bet you could do the same thing a 1000 times and never get the loader to stay on it's wheels long enough to go over the goose neck. I can't believe it didn't tip over before it got that far.

This is definitely one of those where God said "You;today" to the driver. God bless him and his family.

• Like 1

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Machines and chains are weird. For example I moved a cat 314 excavator today. Chained the boom and put binders on all 4 corners. Tight as I could. When I got to the job 2 of the binders were slightly louse. You just cantw always get the all the slack out of the tracks untill you crank down on them a few times after you have driven a few miles.

Dozers I put blade rearward and in the center of the deck. This is for weight balance and ease of loading and unloading getting it centered on the deck.

Combination and rubber tire always go bucket into the goose neck...regardless what some book says. Real world experience is what works best for me. But that's just my .02

To me this pic looks like a few issues. 1 Lack of chains or binders? 2 the machine did not have a good parking brake 3 he really hit those brakes hard for it to slide up and over like that.

Probably thew 2 chains on it, one on the front, one on back, and didn't set parking brake, or it didn't work. On my detach I haul loaders and dozers blade/buckets to the back with a chain on each corner and one over each attachment. On my fixed neck blade goes on the gooseneck, so I can see it better. Too bad things happen fast before you know it.

Bob