Auction in Iowa

41chevy

See how much people paid for scrap? Saw one gentleman who paid $14000.00 for a 1949 Suburban with broken glass and mice poop. $27000.00 for a 1969Chevelle SS 396 with a crushed roof, 67000 miles an a partially disassembled big block, $1200.00 for a yard stick....Buyers remorse is coming soon..... See this pile of rust? 3 miles on it and never titled.... it's still a new car and only cost me $50000.00 :whistling::whistling:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Yes thats it....mid west states all look alike wih no oceans near em. :blush:

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Un-fickin' believable! I am a dye-in-the-wool Chevy guy,but no way in world would I pay 145K for a 58'Cameo! 60' Impala 4 door,really?............it must be true,some people have more money then sense!......Mark

• Like 2

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

It was on the History channel this past Saturday night. I'm sure they will replay it. I still can't believe those prices and some of the buyers were dealers buying with the idea of reselling. I would not want to be at the end of that chain.

This is my job, collector cars. What many don't realize is that the story is what brings the price so high. When is the next time you will ever get to buy a 58 Cameo pick up NEVER SOLD NEW still on MSO with under 5 mikes on it? Never. Most of these low mileage cars are going to museums and collections and most likely the dust will never be washed off. The big thing now is "barn finds" in as found state. Once you do any repair on these cars to fix the damage, the originality, history, and story is gone.

If there was an old Mack dealer with original b61s and b81s, R models and Superliners with no miles laying around, we would all scramble with fat checks in hand to be the first owners of them. Nothing different about this auction.

I agree the prices paid are ridiculous but again, a situation like this is not going to happen again.

• Like 1

A lot of those vehicles caught my attention but the '78 Indy Pace Car 'Vette would have been my dream. Left parked inside the entire time. Yeah, it still would have needed a frame-off restro but damn would that be a car to have.

Terry, the whole point is NOT to restore that car. It's worth more money as it sits over cleaning it up. Decent Pace Cars can be had for $12,000-15,000 that you can drive. Something like this is going to be a static display in a collection or museum for the rest if its life.

I watched it and my mother in law had me record it so she can watch it when she comes over. History channel talked more about the stories than the auction part, they made it sound like everything was sold but I had been watching the web site and they sold cars the next day to. Most of the stuff that I was watching was the trade ins. Just about all of them were missing parts and some form of glass. Most had the radiators cut out of them and hood trim and emblems missing, seen a lot of the had to find stuff missing also. You could bid online and most of the bids were $1000 more than I wanted to pay or what I could get locally from CL.

I get the no mile/MSO cars but a trade in that was half stripped and setting with the glass busted out for 40 years. That is crazy, I think if I ever do an auction I am going to have them come and do it, cant get those kind of prices with the auctioneers around hear.

Yes thats it....mid west states all look alike wih no oceans near em. :blush:

You come all the way out here and did not stop by Superdogs??? That's is like going to the moon and not getting a picture with the flag!

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Un-fickin' believable! I am a dye-in-the-wool Chevy guy,but no way in world would I pay 145K for a 58'Cameo! 60' Impala 4 door,really?............it must be true,some people have more money then sense!......Mark

Just find out the Cameo is coming to NH. One town over from me.

Guess I will go check it out and see if I can borrow some money from the new owner.

Couldn't hurt to ask?

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Terry, the whole point is NOT to restore that car. It's worth more money as it sits over cleaning it up. Decent Pace Cars can be had for $12,000-15,000 that you can drive. Something like this is going to be a static display in a collection or museum for the rest if its life.

Don't care what "the point" is, It's my money, I bought the car, I own it, I can do with it what I choose. This would be no different than when an owner posts a picture of his Superliner with a huge visor & front bumper. It's his truck, his money, etc. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion about a look, style, what have you but in the end the only person who has to be happy is the person spending the money. Do I like the big visor & bumper look? NO! Am I gonna run the guy off the forum because he likes it? NO!

Everyone should feel free to voice his/her opinion but don't chastise those who feel different than you. That Corvette was built to be driven in 1978. Not to set, collecting dust for 35 years then to set forever, covered in dust in a museum. Corky Coker is huge on barn finds and leaving them "untouched" but he has also said when the time comes some of his (probably 100's) cars will be restored or become customs.

I agree about the barn find thing to an extent. the other extent is what good is it? sure I would love a barn find B61 but what good is it if you cant drive it. im with Harbinson on this one I think, you can only collect so much but if you cant enjoy it sometimes and all you do is sit around, drink beers with your friends and stare at it and cant drive it, what good is it? id love an AC Mack or a chain drive F but in reality, I cant jump in it and drive it 200 miles to Macungie either.im more pissed off at the people who walk into a Barrett Jackson auction and buy 6 100,000 cars without blinkin an eye , meanwhile we are in a recession and the country is broke and the government is shut down..

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Buying a "brand new old car" is worth what the buyer paid for it, although Indiana DMV was requiring titles issued on the auctioned MSO cars, it is still new. What I saw was the interview with the guy who bought the Suburban for 14k to make a resto rod, he figured about 50k more to do the drive train and interior and clear coat it to save the "patenia".. The person who bought the '69 Chevelle SS for 27k said point blank he bought for the "numbers" to make a plain Chevelle to a SS. One couple made sense on buying a '77 Mona 2+2 with 4 miles on it, "we paid to much for it, it will cost to much to restore then it will ever be worth, but it's a twin to the car we had when we first met, honeymooned it and brought our first baby home in. BUT some purchases were just plain Auction frenzy purchases. Curious what will end up in the Car Corral from that auction when I'm at Hersey next week. Paul

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

Don't care what "the point" is, It's my money, I bought the car, I own it, I can do with it what I choose. This would be no different than when an owner posts a picture of his Superliner with a huge visor & front bumper. It's his truck, his money, etc. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion about a look, style, what have you but in the end the only person who has to be happy is the person spending the money. Do I like the big visor & bumper look? NO! Am I gonna run the guy off the forum because he likes it? NO!

Everyone should feel free to voice his/her opinion but don't chastise those who feel different than you. That Corvette was built to be driven in 1978. Not to set, collecting dust for 35 years then to set forever, covered in dust in a museum. Corky Coker is huge on barn finds and leaving them "untouched" but he has also said when the time comes some of his (probably 100's) cars will be restored or become customs.

Apparently my statement was taken in the wrong way. Once you buy it its yours to do what you want with it. I've seen cars that sat for 60+ years get road worthy but maintain their patina. The best example of this was the flooded 1911 Oldsmobile that was in the Swigart museum in PA. The car stayed in a static display for 50+ years with tires that were disintegrated. The new buyer (at $1.65m) got the car running keeping as many factory installed pieces as possible and put new wheels and NOS tires purchased in the 60's on the car while keeping the originals. It was then displayed at Pebble Beach and the owner has used it sparingly.

The thing about this hobby is everyone has their idea of what they want but the most important thing is to preserve old iron. They can only be original once. The best thing is all of these cars went to new homes and they live on and not get crushed.

• Like 1

.The thing about this hobby is everyone has their idea of what they want but the most important thing is to preserve old iron. They can only be original once. The best thing is all of these cars went to new homes and they live on and not get crushed.

Be nice to photo document the factory marks, gaps, crooked seams on upholstery and the orange peel, .runs and over spray.

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

• 1 year later...

Vlad it makes my work shop look pretty basic and no doubt about it that is one good looking show room

Thanks for sharing

Paul

Paul, on my mind it's nice to see so many beautiful results of some one's efforts to build his collection.

Although your work shop is YOUR WORK SHOP and usually the best place to spend time :)

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012