spoke wheel info

mackniac

Never heard of such a thing on newer wheels.

I think on the old, at least front wheels, on our "LF" there was only one or two ways the cleats on the rims on either side of the valve stem would fit between the spokes of the front wheels.

The wheels were made special to allow them to only go on in these positions.

I know this has nothing to do with Macks but if you ever fool around with 15" dayton wheels whether they have tube or tubeless tires on them there is usually a special

place to place the valve stem on the inside rim. There is a notch cut in the brake drum to clear the valve stem.

Ron

my dawg is a 1990 Mack RB688S a friend of mine told me that there was only two location but he could not remember from when to when .

thank you all for the info .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

The rims of my 1945 NR fit onto the hubs that way.

There is a plate welded on the inner surface of a rim wich you should place between the two spokes.

Those spokes have special ribs on the sides opposit to each other so there is a space quite to fit the rim's plate in.

That way a rim can't turn over the hub being locked with a plate. The air nippel slot is just in the middle of the plate.

You can also install a rim with the plate between any other 2 spokes but there aren't the ribs and the space is wider.

A rim would play around the hub having some extra space for.

There are 2 pairs of spokes with the ribs (of all 6 spokes) just opposit to each other so there are 2 position to fit a rim.

I think a rim wouldn't really turn over a hub so hard and that all is a kind of additional securing.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

nope never heard of that on a Mack. I know on Wc series Whites the front spokes were like that tho. you could put the valve stem in between any of them but only one way was right. two spokes had ears off the side where the old style Dayton rims with the riveted on valve stem protectors would slide into.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

From what I saw last evening on the spoke "VALVE STEM ONLY FOR DISCK BRAKE" I was very surprised I will take pics

tonight and post it on here , and make sure that what is written in the cast .

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale

From what I saw last evening on the spoke "VALVE STEM ONLY FOR DISCK BRAKE" I was very surprised I will take pics

tonight and post it on here , and make sure that what is written in the cast .

I do remember seeing this on the front wheels of the used '78 "F" models we bought.

They had 20" wheels when we bought them and the front wheels were marked as stated above.

We changed them over to 22" and the 22" wheels were not marked that way.

Must have only made a difference with 10.00x20's or 11x22.5's with disc brakes.

Ron

I do remember seeing this on the front wheels of the used '78 "F" models we bought.

They had 20" wheels when we bought them and the front wheels were marked as stated above.

We changed them over to 22" and the 22" wheels were not marked that way.

Must have only made a difference with 10.00x20's or 11x22.5's with disc brakes.

Ron

We were discussing that it said that only on trucks with disc brakes Disk brakes on trucks :pat:

• Like 1

Matt

here are two pics ( I will post some better ones ) ,

I think I understand what this meant.

With the smaller 20" inch wheels there must have been one space between two of the spokes that was shallower than the other five.

When installing the tire and rim you probably had to bend the valve stem closer to the edge of the rim to get it to fit in this special space, this would insure

clearance for the valve stem with the brake caliper on trucks equipped with front disc brakes.

If it had regular "S" cam brakes it didn't matter where the valve stem went, for that matter if it had 22" wheels it probably didn't matter where the valve stem went with either kind of brakes.

Ron

• Like 1

disk brakes on a bigger truck. who would have thought. I know where I use to work we had a 80's or early 90's GMC dump truck(the square style) with a 10 foot box on it that had disk rear brakes. what a pain in the ass when you spin the rims on the hub and end up with two flat tires cause of the broken valve stems.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg