Should have went to work (what a day!),,,

leversole

FIrst thing this morning, off to Service Truck Tire Center in Milton to get new outer wheels and spacers, and new Yokohama's for the front....

Sold out of the Yokohama that I wanted...substituted Kelly KLS...did a quick web search and didnt find anything negative, said it would be a couple of weeks till he could get the Yoko's...WTH I figured why not...

Anyway, they took my 83mph smooth running cadillac and turned it into a bucking shaking monster! I watched them put the rears back on and they didnt give a lot of effort aliging them, I figured they knew what they were doing...WRONG...took it back, they spent another hour on it and it is still undriveable above 50 mph....gonna let some air out of the rears to see if that makes an improvement...I AM PISSED!

Coming back thru town a city cop tails me all the way thru town, then lights me up less than a mile from home...says he pulled me over because of no DOT numbers on the truck, I explain this is a classic truck and has no DOT numbers...he grills me on what I use the truck for...then takes the registration and goes back to his car for a few minutes...he comes back (to the drivers side this time) and asks me to open my door...he is looking around for a weight registration plate...I tell him I dont know where it might be, we walk around to the other side and look in the that door jamb...nothing...he asks me if I have done any work and maybe removed the weight sticker...I say no...he explains that I need a class B non comercial license, even though, he says (he is still holding the registration) the truck is registered at 21600...he tells me that even people that drive heavy RV's need a class B or A non commercial license...then tells me I can go, and to have a nice day...

...he explains that I need a class B non comercial license, even though, he says (he is still holding the registration) the truck is registered at 21600...he tells me that even people that drive heavy RV's need a class B or A non commercial license...then tells me I can go, and to have a nice day...

Leslie: I'm kinda confused here....(ok wait kinda bullshit I AM confused....) We're talking the Superdog, right? That's a full blown grown up class A tractor, which should have a GVWR of 80,000....Yes? No??

Are you sure it is only registered as 21,600? Or does it WEIGHT 21,600?

He is absolutely, positively correct. I have reviewed the law inside and out, forwards and backwards and even have a letter from the Commissioner of PENNDOT to confirm it. You do NOT need to have a CDL for any privately owned antique vehicle, not operating in commerce and weighing less than 26,001 lbs. You do however have to have the appropriate-class NON CDL for anything in excess of 26,001.

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Ha a non-cdl, never heard of such a thing in TN, you can get a class D for driver as in to drive ANY personal vehicle, a class D with an F, or for hire endorsement, that does anything under 26,000lbs commercial carrying less than 15 passengers, a class C for commercial under 26,000 lb carrying more than 15 passengers- you have to have it to get a P-passenger, and S-school bus endorsement to drive anything over 15 passengers under 26,000lb, then the class B- trucks over 26,000lb trailers under 10,000lb, then the class A tractors with trailers over 26,000 and all the endorsements therefore. I however have never heardo of anybody that got a non-commercial cdl to drive an RV or personal vehicle, even though most are well over 26,000, actually in TN you dont even have to have a CDL to drive a farm truck even if its a tractor trailer hauling agricultural over 80,000lb. some states get screwy and most cops have no idea of the actual rules so you get a different answer every time you ask the question and most of the laws are written so as to be up for interpretation so they can hang one in you when they want to.

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Leslie: I'm kinda confused here....(ok wait kinda bullshit I AM confused....) We're talking the Superdog, right? That's a full blown grown up class A tractor, which should have a GVWR of 80,000....Yes? No??

Are you sure it is only registered as 21,600? Or does it WEIGHT 21,600?

He is absolutely, positively correct. I have reviewed the law inside and out, forwards and backwards and even have a letter from the Commissioner of PENNDOT to confirm it. You do NOT need to have a CDL for any privately owned antique vehicle, not operating in commerce and weighing less than 26,001 lbs. You do however have to have the appropriate-class NON CDL for anything in excess of 26,001.

Superdog weighs 16800...the original GVWR is 50,000...12K front, 38K rear...you are thinking of the GCVWR (C is for combination), which is 80000...

The person at the "Messenger service" asked me what the GVWR was, I told her I didn't know (I did not at the time), she aked what the truck weighed, I told her 16800...I dont know how she came up with 21600, but I was Okay with that...

Guess I have to find a "weigh" to my license upgraded pronto!

I have read horror stories on what test they give for a non comercial class A license, most examiners (I have read about this on the RV forums) have never heard of a non comercial class A....I would be happy to get my Class A CDL, but dont know if I can back a trailer to pass the driving test, I think I am good on all the rest, and there is no one I know in the area to practice with!

Superdog weighs 16800...the original GVWR is 50,000...12K front, 38K rear...you are thinking of the GCVWR (C is for combination), which is 80000...

The person at the "Messenger service" asked me what the GVWR was, I told her I didn't know (I did not at the time), she aked what the truck weighed, I told her 16800...I dont know how she came up with 21600, but I was Okay with that...

Guess I have to find a "weigh" to my license upgraded pronto!

I have read horror stories on what test they give for a non comercial class A license, most examiners (I have read about this on the RV forums) have never heard of a non comercial class A....I would be happy to get my Class A CDL, but dont know if I can back a trailer to pass the driving test, I think I am good on all the rest, and there is no one I know in the area to practice with!

I would go for the full CDL, you already have to take the test if your gonna get it so you might as well be certified ( or certifiable), surely someone there can get you a trailer to play with, the only other thing youll need is a medical card to get it done and then every two years you get your medical card again and every 5 you renew your license and if you feel the urge you can go drive for someone part time. You may have to get your insurance swapped around to pull a trailer, my insurance allows me to pull anyones trailers but if you have antique insurance you better check.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Leslie - if you can back a pickup and camper/trailer, you can back a semi. Find someone with a trailer and practice. Look in the yellow pages and you might find a truck driving school that will rent "by the hour" and you can practice on their closed course. For the most part, a CDL is a good thing to have in your pocket. And the medical card...find a CVS drug store and hope there is a good lookin' female medic who will check you for a hernia.

As for the 21,600, that is likely the "declared weight" for license/title purposes.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

FIrst thing this morning, off to Service Truck Tire Center in Milton to get new outer wheels and spacers, and new Yokohama's for the front....

Sold out of the Yokohama that I wanted...substituted Kelly KLS...did a quick web search and didnt find anything negative, said it would be a couple of weeks till he could get the Yoko's...WTH I figured why not...

Anyway, they took my 83mph smooth running cadillac and turned it into a bucking shaking monster! I watched them put the rears back on and they didnt give a lot of effort aliging them, I figured they knew what they were doing...WRONG...took it back, they spent another hour on it and it is still undriveable above 50 mph....gonna let some air out of the rears to see if that makes an improvement...I AM PISSED!

Coming back thru town a city cop tails me all the way thru town, then lights me up less than a mile from home...says he pulled me over because of no DOT numbers on the truck, I explain this is a classic truck and has no DOT numbers...he grills me on what I use the truck for...then takes the registration and goes back to his car for a few minutes...he comes back (to the drivers side this time) and asks me to open my door...he is looking around for a weight registration plate...I tell him I dont know where it might be, we walk around to the other side and look in the that door jamb...nothing...he asks me if I have done any work and maybe removed the weight sticker...I say no...he explains that I need a class B non comercial license, even though, he says (he is still holding the registration) the truck is registered at 21600...he tells me that even people that drive heavy RV's need a class B or A non commercial license...then tells me I can go, and to have a nice day...

Sounds fun... Yeah, the only thing I do at the tire store anymore is write a check and throw the new rubber in the back of my pickup. Nobody around here knows how to line up a Dayton wheel... You know what they say... if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself!

Jake

Ha a non-cdl, never heard of such a thing in TN, you can get a class D for driver as in to drive ANY personal vehicle, a class D with an F, or for hire endorsement, that does anything under 26,000lbs commercial carrying less than 15 passengers, a class C for commercial under 26,000 lb carrying more than 15 passengers- you have to have it to get a P-passenger, and S-school bus endorsement to drive anything over 15 passengers under 26,000lb, then the class B- trucks over 26,000lb trailers under 10,000lb, then the class A tractors with trailers over 26,000 and all the endorsements therefore. I however have never heardo of anybody that got a non-commercial cdl to drive an RV or personal vehicle, even though most are well over 26,000, actually in TN you dont even have to have a CDL to drive a farm truck even if its a tractor trailer hauling agricultural over 80,000lb. some states get screwy and most cops have no idea of the actual rules so you get a different answer every time you ask the question and most of the laws are written so as to be up for interpretation so they can hang one in you when they want to.

Ryan, sshhhhhhh......don't tell all of our secrets. They may want to move here.

mike

• Like 1

If it is correct the registered weights go in increments. Sounds about right at 21k as I went to 33k for mine as I know with the trailer it would be more(gcvwr). I knew the 22k would not be enough.

Time to put non commercial on the truck to help aide these jokers in determining what you are doing.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Time to put non commercial on the truck to help aide these jokers in determining what you are doing.

It may or may not help. Part of the problem here in Pennsylvania (as I am sure it is everywhere else....) is the lack of knowledge, even and across-the-board enforcement and also lack of knowledge among PENNDOT offices.

I have many friends and contacts who are Police Officers through my being a firefighter. I have the opportunity to speak with these guys professionally and personally at many events, and every time the subject comes up, I try a little experiment. I ask them what the laws are. And almost never do I get the same answer, never mind the correct one!!!!

The biggest offenders of all are Pennsy State Police Officers!!! The ones who SHOULD know!!!!!!

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Equal enforcement is also gone. Know a guy that got pulled into the shed for a Level 3 inspection. Passed, got the little sticker and headed off. Florida State Trooper stopped him before he hit the ramp to get back on 95 and wrote him up. DOT guy pulled up, shrugged his shoulders and left.

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Get the CDL in the long run you'll be better off. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Ha on a side note I just put a set of Yokohamas on the front of the Superliner, used 12oz packs of counteract tire balanced in em and they are super smooth. I'm still gonna have em trued, I need to replace my right from king pin so I'm going to take it to TAFA in Nashville and let em do the king pin, true the steers and do an alignment. I want it to ride right if I'm coming to Watts next month.