Another US Company Bites the Dust

farmer52

India's Apollo Tyres Ltd agreed to buy U.S.-based Cooper Tire & Rubber Co for about $2.5 billion in a deal that would make it the world's seventh-largest tire maker and reduce its dependence on a slowing Indian auto market. The acquisition of Cooper -- the second biggest U.S. tire maker and No. 11 globally with annual sales of $4.2 billion -- will give Apollo access to the U.S. market for replacement tires for cars and light and medium trucks, Cooper's main business. ...

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

I own Cooper stock so I'll make about a 40% profit on the deal, but still sad to see it happen... Even though Cooper wasn't totally an american company since they bought Avon tires a few years back. Both companies produced some excellent tires, Cooper for light trucks and Avon for classic cars and motorcycles.

And then we have GM . . . .owned by the UAW (52%) and the FEDS moving a large part of their body stamping and body assembly operations of Cadillac and Buick to China. It's ''more cost effective'' because it's ''closer'' to the raw materials. course it does give the UAW an entire new source of dues paying members. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Gettin' hard to define an "American" company- Most of these companies are owned by shareholders, who are mostly big institutional and investment funds. As such, you might find that what appears to be an "American" company is majority owned by a european pension plan and chinese investment fund! As far as Cooper goes, they've previously bought Avon, a british firm that for all I know has factories in India as well.

Sad days ahead. A couple of days ago I needed brake shoes for the rear of my car and enquired of the old brands I used. Well found out all are now made in Mexico or China. Yes I bit the bullit and bought Wagner. Or i'll have to go with the Fred Flintstone method of braking. Yaba Daba Doooo.

mike

• Like 1

Looked at a new RAM 5500 Chassis with a 6.7 Cummins in it, had a Made in China tag on the engine, Made in China on the Turbo and Hankook tires. Hope the entire line isn't going

asian.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

ive ran cooper tires here and there and my local tire guy is a dealer, even got recap coopers on the back of my B61. have thought for years cooper was a POS tire. had then on my truck and cars and never had good results, never liked goodyear either. have ran BFGoodrich off and on and never had any problems. put coopers on my truck and switched back to Bfg

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Looked at a new RAM 5500 Chassis with a 6.7 Cummins in it, had a Made in China tag on the engine, Made in China on the Turbo and Hankook tires. Hope the entire line isn't going

asian.

You'll be fine. Just don't eat any paint chips

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

You'll be fine. Just don't eat any paint chips

Well it's Omaha Orange, cause that and red got the most lead.... made me all I am today. :)

P.T.CHESHIRE