D Day

41chevy

YES this something that should never never be forgotten . should be taught in every grade in schoolhow soon we forget but how soon we will be reminded me and my family will never forget

Every President has went to Normandy since 1945 ,except for 5 times....2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 disgraceful sure a show of disrespect.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Every President has went to Normandy since 1945 ,except for 5 times....2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 disgraceful sure a show of disrespect.

I bet we can guess who that President is...

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

D-Day, certainly history of bravery and sacrifice that must never be forgotten.

The D-Day casualty figures have been estimated at 10,000. A horrible loss of life in any regard. However, all considering, the event went largely in our favor, saving countless lives. Our ruses to deceive the enemy worked better than anyone could have hoped, helped by Hitler’s feeling of insecurity, erratic behavior and incompetence with battlefield tactics. Eisenhower successfully chanced sending the invasion fleet across in horrible weather, and the Germans made many mistakes. We indeed had a great deal of good fortune on that momentous day.

Hitler, Rommel, Rundstedt and members of the High Command thought the Allies would land at Calais, the narrowest distance between England and France. Their assumption was based on phony buildups of Allied troops in the English seaports opposite Calais. As a result, Rommel and Rundstedt positioned the bulk of their troops (15 infantry divisions) around Calais, while a smaller number was stationed 200 miles away near the Normandy beaches (deemed the unlikely landing location). The bulk of the panzer divisions were located north and east of the Seine River, where they were unavailable for counterattack in Normandy.

The Germans also incorrectly guessed that the invasion would come during May’s more favorable spring tides. But the landing never came. With the arrival of bad weather in the beginning of June, the Germans assumed the Allies would not cross the English Channel due to the high winds, rain and heavy seas.

In another stoke of luck, the man most crucial to the Germans on D-Day, Erwin Rommel, spent the driving to La Roche-Guyonan (the result of the Germans having lost air supremacy). Adding to our luck, the front-line German troops were leaderless as most of Rommel's army, corps, division, and some regimental commanders had traveled to a war game in Rennes.

For German field commanders at Normandy, the first minutes of the invasion brought alarm and confusion. The bad weather had interrupted German aerial and seaborne reconnaissance while the French resistance was actively cutting phone lines. Field commanders made urgent phone calls to their generals, who in turn phoned the German High Command. However their ranking officers were away, staying with Hitler at his Berchtesgaden retreat.

The Germans were never able to coordinate a counterattack and, most importantly, Rommel's plans for fighting the D-Day battle were never put into motion.

Another immense benefit to the Allies was Hitler's mistrust of his generals (and the generals’ mistrust of Hitler), which was incredibly damaging to the German command structure.

The only high level German military commander who responded correctly to D-Day was Field Marshal Rundstedt (a veteran officer ironically scorned by Hitler). Two hours before the seaborne landings began, he ordered the two reserve panzer divisions available for counterattack in Normandy (12th SS Panzer and Panzer Lehr) to head toward Caen. His intuitive judgment was that the airborne landings were on such a large scale that they could not be a mere deception and would have to be reinforced be a seaborne landing. And the only beach locations in Normandy suitable were on the Calvados and Cotentin coasts.

But the panzer divisions were under the control of the Supreme Command (OKW), so Rundstedt had to get approval. At 7:30am on D-Day, Rundstedt was informed the two divisions could not be committed until Hitler gave the order, and Hitler was still sleeping. Hitler slept until noon. This event alone saved thousands of lives.

Hitler didn’t give the order for the two panzer divisions to engage until 4 o’clock in the afternoon. And by then, the weather had improved allowing Allied fighters and bombers to provide air support over Normandy, forcing the panzers into hiding.

• Like 1

My grandfather was to jump behind enemy lines near Normandy and cut of the Germans from reinforcing the beach. He cought the flu a week before d day. Unknown to him att he time that that may have been his true destiny. Instead he was sick in England and ended up helping out as a medic. I have all his old photos of gliders and other war birds that we're getting ready for the invasion.

I have so much respect for his generation...

• Like 2

84superdog, my only reason for the mention of the C in C' s actions was it shows the disdain and and hatred of veterans and the freedoms, laws and values that we fought for. I did what I was asked when I was called up. I took my physical wounds and mental baggage and never complained. Now this administration "thanks" me by classifying me and other vets as "prohibited people" and "home grown terrorists"...can't "legally" own a weapon, singled out at airports because we did what was asked of us and that puts us on a "watch list"? This entire administration from the top to the local dogcatcher and the schools, have taken all that Americans have fought, sacrificed and died for over the last 237 years and made it all meaningless and sin full and not worthy of mention. I will let people know every chance I have. I do not meant to up set you, but We All fought for this right to state our opinions. Paul

• Like 2

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My dad landed today 69 years ago under easier conditions. He said the beach was cleaned up to help the moral of the countless GI's landing.

My Respect Goes Out to All that Served and Serves.

mike

Makes you wonder .....what if he had jumped on d day

? Would you be here today?

I was in Normandy and saw that place. Going to be again. We Russians too thankful for opening the second front. It saved millions of soliders' lives and shortened the war in Europe.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012