Paving Mt. Wahington

Timothy Maikshilo

There was snow in the White and Green Mts. last night; saw pictures of Mount Mansfield, VT and Bretton Woods, NH covered in snow. Littleton, NH received about 4 inches.

Drove through Hinsdale, MA last Sunday; first time in my life although I have been to Hinsdale, NH several times.

bulldogboy

What do you pay owner operators up there?

They are getting 72.00 for tri axles.

Get much snow in the winter? :whistling:

A lot! and they got a dumping up there yesterday.

I hope the plant is close by for that job!! Or no inspectors on the job.

Hauled out of Gorham,NH not far from there. Here is anotherpost-426-0-67347800-1369598423_thumb.jpgfrom up top of the mountain.

• Like 1

That rate still kind of sucks. I can imagine fuel to figure in and wear and tear and the rate is not enough. Just saying as I don't know the cost of living in New Hampshire is. The pic of the Pete is wild since you can only see sky next to the road.

i bet it is all white up there this mornin' tim. only 36 degrees here @1240 above sea level. whole lot higher up there.

Jim we had snow here and windy! have had the wood stove going for to days!

That would of been a cool experience to do that job.

Rob, it's a long pull up and a long push down!

Cool.

If you can ever get over this way Mt. Washington is a must see and bulldogboy your right about all the snow we had on our hill tops.post-426-0-43261500-1369598909_thumb.jpgCouple pics. from the ernie mills collection of our paving.

That rate still kind of sucks. I can imagine fuel to figure in and wear and tear and the rate is not enough. Just saying as I don't know the cost of living in New Hampshire is. The pic of the Pete is wild since you can only see sky next to the road.

Rob that is the going rate in northern New England. No tri state rates here.post-426-0-48802400-1369599154_thumb.jpg

That does sound low,down here on Long Island the norm is 100 an hr sometimes a little less for a fast payer..

Tim, how many times did any of the trucks roll out of the box going down hill? I bet they were on their brakes the whole time. Some paving companies down here use those wheel locks that grab your rims I really don't like them. I have to say I have rolled out of the box a few times. :whistling:

There are guys up here doing it for 65 when were trying to get at least 85

$85.00 sounds about right. I know my old boss Gulino gets a different rate for NY as opposed to Jersey. You will always get guys to work for nothing. It's the same in my business with the landscape design some are happy making $100.00 a day,. :(

When we climbed the auto road I seem to remember that a good part of it was still dirt because, we were told, that it was too steep to hold asphalt. Did they pave the entire length or just re-pave the existing paved stretches?

I cannot imagine climbing that road in a class 8 truck. Did they go all the way to the top to turn around or did they use one of the "rest" areas part way up?

And for those folks out there that have never done so put climbing the auto road on your list. It is quite a unique experience, especially in a full size pick up. It is narrow enough to require you to pull in your mirrors if you meet another truck.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

When we climbed the auto road I seem to remember that a good part of it was still dirt because, we were told, that it was too steep to hold asphalt. Did they pave the entire length or just re-pave the existing paved stretches?

I cannot imagine climbing that road in a class 8 truck. Did they go all the way to the top to turn around or did they use one of the "rest" areas part way up?

And for those folks out there that have never done so put climbing the auto road on your list. It is quite a unique experience, especially in a full size pick up. It is narrow enough to require you to pull in your mirrors if you meet another truck.

The Mt. Washington Auto Road:

The Mt. Washington Auto Road is considered by many hillclimb racers to be extremely technical with a narrow road surface that averages just over 16 feet wide. In addition to being very narrow with precipitous drop-offs that vary from side to side, the road is also incredibly steep, with an average 12% grade and gaining slightly more than 4,600 feet in total elevation change from the start line to the finish line. The road surface is mostly tarmac with approximately one mile of gravel and contains more than 100 turns and switchbacks as it snakes its way to the 6,288 foot summit of the Northeast’s tallest peak.

post-1374-0-33873600-1369657654_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Those are neat pictures. Isn't Mt. Washington where they got the highest wind speed ever recorded in the U.S?

Yes, 231 MPH. At one time it was the highest wind speed recorded on Earth. It has since been bypassed by a recorded speed in New Zealand several years ago. Still, it's a different place

to visit; it can be summer at the base and snowing at the summit. There is a NOAA weather station and NH state park at the summit. Another route up, other than hiking, is the Cog Railway.

It's an experience but expensive. On one side of the mountain is Tuckerman's Ravine. People usually ski there into late spring but beware of avalanches, they can be dangerous.

bulldogboy

nice place to go and see but always use lots of cautiousness driving there, and please dress acconrdingly !

as for the rate of $70.00 for a 3 axles is low !

must have been a pretty special job to pave that road !! was the asphalt still warm when it arrived ???

Makniac , collector and customizer of die-cast model in 1/50th scale