56 F100

Maddog13407

heres a few pics of my 56 F100 project someone wanted me to post. recently bought a pass door for it from Cali, truck came from Wyoming and lost its original Y block and original Fordomatic transmission. i have found another Y block and am puttin it back together with a C6 tranny. i have the 360 someone stuffed in it for sale if anyone wants it for junk price. runs , just dont need it . im a diehard GM fan but always had am soft spot for these old fat fendered fords

post-6-0-05984400-1369533732_thumb.png

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

this one is pretty solid, definately not a NYS truck. box is junk but readily available. id like to make it a restomod a little. old school glasspacks and headers with babymoon hubcaps and wide whitewalls but keep the original look, emblems and Y block. if anyone needs or wants the big block 360 thats in it let me know. ill let it go for cheap and it runs.

heres a few pics of my 56 F100 project someone wanted me to post. recently bought a pass door for it from Cali, truck came from Wyoming and lost its original Y block and original Fordomatic transmission. i have found another Y block and am puttin it back together with a C6 tranny. i have the 360 someone stuffed in it for sale if anyone wants it for junk price. runs , just dont need it . im a diehard GM fan but always had am soft spot for these old fat fendered fords

Maddog-Nice-just don't weaken and put some V-8 in it that has the distributor on the back end! IMO, the 53-56 F-100 was a timeless design. Show a picture of one to a non truck person and my bet is most would not come close to guessing they were looking at a 60 year old design.

im a GM diehard fan thru and thru but i still believe Ford needs to be in a Ford. not a fan of all these hotrod Fords with the ''distributor in the back'' as you put it.

I like your opinion Matt. I do respect that, wish everyone felt the same about all vehicles. My dad worked for Ford Glass Plant here in Nashville and we could get any vehicle at a reduced price, actually 2 percent under dealers cost. I like all vehicles, we have had mostly Fords and Chevy's in the family since 1927. We had one F100 that had the 360 engine and was a 1968 pickup. I liked it better than any Ford pickup that my dad owned. I never knew that it was a big block motor until reading your post tonight. I bought the 1966 Ford Galaxie from my dad when I was in my senior year of high school and it had a 352 ci 4 barrel carter and changed it to the 600 holly carb. for, don't remember why reason. I rarely see those cars any more. It was a good solid car. I do remember putting 5 dollars worth of fuel would fill up the tank.

mike

The grille appears to be in great shape also. My favorite pickups vary depending on the year. For 67-72 it's GM but 53-56 it's Ford all the way, with the '56 cab being my favorite of those. My Uncle owned a Texaco station on LI and had a '59 1 ton as a wrecker. The doors looked the same but I believe the cab was larger.

Why do many of these have small-block Chevy motors? Are they more readily available or is there another reason?

Jim

most hotrods USE to have small block chevys in them but thats changing lately. i get Custom Classic Trucks and Classic Trucks Magazines. you see alot of Hemi's and fords in Fords now. the Chevys use to be more readily available and easier to get parts for and actually cheaper to get parts for. think thats the reason. the grille is also in almost perfect shape, has a small ding but there is a Chrome Shop in Syracuse Ny i think im gonna take it to. this is an original Custom Cab truck also and had the door panels on the inside and emblems on the doors and the chrome around the windshield. it came from Wyoming originally and was an original automatic truck which i guess is pretty rare back then. i found out alot of trucks that were ordered out west had automatics in them. ive had this truck about 7-8 years now, just cant stand to see it sit anymore. need to do something with it. ready to yank the big block and make it more original. keep it original lookin, might go with a candy red or dark metallic blue color tho as it was that original nasty mint green color brand new. my preference changed on trucks also,. i like the 48-56 fords and the 57-63 ford looks. but would love a 55-57 chevy truck or a 68-72 chevy two tone short box truck someday. every redneck and their brother seems to have a 73-79 Ford truck up here to but the rust ate them bad in Ny

A fellow near me put a 60's vintage Cadillac motor in his 49 F-1.

Easy decision because the Ford was blown and the Cadillac ran perfect beside wanting to have something a little different.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

53-56 is the best years for those fords, and the 56 is my opinion the best of all the 50's trucks. Great find! As for Chevy motors in the ford trucks, there are many factors. I know one of the biggest is the Chevy oil pan design makes it easier to fit in different chassis. Also many people do subframe conversions using Camaro/nova clips so SBC bolt right in. Even the aftermarket front end units like Fatman fit the Chevy better. Another reason as mentioned before is the cost factor. Chevys are the cheapest V8 to build and parts can be had anywhere. We have a saying at the swapmeet there's more Chevys than shit.

I like the 56 F-100'sand i'm NOT a Ford guy! as JT said,the smallblock Chevy is an easy swap into an early Ford,and makes the most sense. Anyone who has ever built a Ford knows the expense! its much more cost effective to do a smallblock Chevy,parts are more readily available,and a lot cheaper! most don't agree,but i'd go Chevy in any make rod/custom that I built...................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

A fellow near me put a 60's vintage Cadillac motor in his 49 F-1.

Easy decision because the Ford was blown and the Cadillac ran perfect beside wanting to have something a little different.

Now that would be cool, and hell on the drive tires if your not careful.

Jim

Heres a picture of my buddy Mike Capoferri's Dodge pickup,it was a "Little Red Truck" originally,he bought it as a project with a blown 360 and bad trans. I built a 350 4-bolt main for him out of a GMC pickup (Sorry Ernie!),bored,ported polished Edelbrock intake,Holley 650 cfm carb,along with a nice Edelbrock dress-up kit backed by a fresh turbo 350 trans,with a B&M shiftkit his son still drives it today!.....................................Mark

post-5836-0-94437400-1369663664.jpg

• Like 1

Heres a picture of my buddy Mike Capoferri's Dodge pickup,it was a "Little Red Truck" originally,he bought it as a project with a blown 360 and bad trans. I built a 350 4-bolt main for him out of a GMC pickup (Sorry Ernie!),bored,ported polished Edelbrock intake,Holley 650 cfm carb,along with a nice Edelbrock dress-up kit backed by a fresh turbo 350 trans,with a B&M shiftkit his son still drives it today!.....................................Mark

I just run to the bathroom an tossed my breakfast!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE shame!!

ARNIE.....I just can's do it!!

• Like 1

I just run to the bathroom an tossed my breakfast!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOO THE shame!!

ARNIE.....I just can's do it!!

I feel sick in my stomach....a chebbie in a MOPAR....how unorthodox!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Heres another one i'm pretty proud of! Denise Ferrantes's 32 ford Coupe,this is a 72 454 out of a dump truck,bored .030,Arias pistons,Lunati cam,Moroso dress-up kit etc. all the machine work was done at Morleys speed shop Pitman,NJ I put it back together and in the car when it was finished. The car was built by Mike Wales Vineland,NJ painted by my uncle Barry Killoran,Malaga,NJ for Denise,she was real happy with the way it turned out! it ran/sounded great!.........................Mark

post-5836-0-23014800-1369701417_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-97075500-1369701428_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-34514400-1369701439_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-42554100-1369701448_thumb.jp

Yeah I have to agree. I'd rather stab a 440 into that thing then swap a Chevy into it. I've had a bunch of Mopar trucks - 3 Ramchargers, a 86 short box 4x4, 94 Dakota 5.2l and my 03 ram. I wouldn't buy one with a Chevy in it.

wow 454 in that little Deuce! that's like the 460 Fords these guys stick in the 53-56 F100's. what the hell! mine has a 360FE in it and its heavy enough, its getting yanked and scrapped if no one is interested in it. ran good afew years ago, have not had it runnin lately. im not a Ford guy at all but my 2 picks would be a 53-56 Ford and a 32 Deuce. my grandfather has a 53 F600 with a flathead V8 in it with 18,000 original miles that we are probably gonna put on an F100 frame someday. it was the original grease truck for his fathers trucking company back in the day. originally came from SJ Grove trucking

The Chevy small block is a lot shorter and narrower than the Ford small block, 260, 289, 302 and the 351W and would fit better, ie. less fabricating. To which I say "bullsh-"

The old 292 and 312's were a good engine and shared the bell housing with the 352, 360, 390 and the awesome 427. High performance parts for the 292 and 312 are hard to come by thus making the upgrade seem more feasible.

It's a sharp looking truck and it's nice that you're going to restore the ole girl.

THAT"S IT!!!! I'm gonna find me a nice nova a stuff a nice 383 Mother Mopar in her .............OH SH_T the late Jungle Jim already stuffed a Chrysler Hemi in a Nova! Come ta think of it??? I think Chevy and Ford Stuff Hemi's in all there fast cars DAM I thought I was on to sumpin

Mopar Ernie AKA BULLHUSK

THAT"S IT!!!! I'm gonna find me a nice nova a stuff a nice 383 Mother Mopar in her .............OH SH_T the late Jungle Jim already stuffed a Chrysler Hemi in a Nova! Come ta think of it??? I think Chevy and Ford Stuff Hemi's in all there fast cars DAM I thought I was on to sumpin

Mopar Ernie AKA BULLHUSK

And that won't be enough. Next you'll want an R700 with a V-12 Detr...oops...never mind.

Jim