PA Roads.............Really?

Freightrain

Larry - welcome to PA. I can feel for your frustation. That is why I try to take major highways even tho it may be a longer route. Timewise it sometimes can be quicker taking the longer route. Hang in there!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Larry

You just learned what we discussed on another topic a while ago. NEVER TRUST A GPS!!!! or for that matter Mapquest or other computer generated mapping systems. Remeber that the Geeks who put the information into the computer probably have never driven a car, let alone a big truck, off the interstate and their local city streets.

Go to Wally World and pay $6 for a Raqnd McNally road atlas then double check your computer generated routing against what it looks like on the map, and then look at alternatives.

After the interesting "scenic tour" I hope that you had a good racing weekend.

Brocky

• Like 1

Brocky

I've been through PA before, but only major highways(and not in a big truck). I know it's "hilly", but never really considered how bad the back roads could be. OMG.

I have a new version of Truck R/M map. I've found it is kinda hard to read and the clarity isn't as nice as the typical car versions.

Rt 74 down to Carlisle was crazy. Very little room and one interchange I had to kinda "borrow" some of a churches yard to get back around again. That is after I let the buggies through LOL!!

Racing? Well, I blowed my tranny up on the first pass. I had issues last year with a detent in the box. It's allowing it to slip into 3rd when I hit 5th. Not a good thing when it goes into two gears at once. Didn't know what was causing it, but after talking with friend in Carlisle I now know what to do to fix it. Learned something new to check and fix if need be. It was a great day, had a great turn out. It was an "all FE Race and Reunion". All 60-70's cars/trucks with FE power ONLY!!! First time and they talk it will be annual now. Had 150 cars total between racing and show.

Did get to meet a TON of people that knew me from the FE forum I'm on. Had a Ford magazine taking pictures, so maybe I'll get some more print(I collect everything the car gets into).

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Welcome to pa and those stories you heard about the old mountain routes on rt.22 with names like Cresson. Munster, and Laurel Mountain were true. Now not so much since reconfiguring and re-engineering the roads. There are those "off the beaten path" roads that will sneak up on you..

84 and 81 have been under construction for 1/2 century, They only have time to set the cones out in the morning before they have to start picking them up after noon. I swear. That road will beat your truck to death and it's the main artery. I've been stuck on the old Pa. farm roads when I was 83' long and 9 1/2 wide empty. I had to call my girlfriend in Iowa to get on the computer and find me, she then would try to leed me to a bigger road or a place to turn, I drove 60 miles before I got back where I made a wrong turn. Pa. has got hills, to be honest, Denver hasn't got anything on Pa. they might be longer but not steeper.

I was really surprised the Pike was in as good a shape. Most construction has been cleaned up since last year when I came through Pittsburgh for my last race in 2012.

Larry

I was really surprised the Pike was in as good a shape. Most construction has been cleaned up since last year when I came through Pittsburgh for my last race in 2012.

They are redoing another section from MP31 to MP38. And still some work on the Blue Mountain Interchange. Worst section I was recently on is EB Breezewood hill (RH lane).

Ken

Holy mackle, I finally found you on the road atlas...144...45...235...Bald Eagle State Forest...Shade Mountain...Thick Mountain...Jack's Mountain. Ol' Shade, Thick, and Jack- 3 of the best mules ever, worked themselves to death trying to get that wagon across them hills.

Nobody wants to hear "you shoulda went this-a-way", or "you shoulda went that-a-way" after they've been somewhere,.. but- looks like when you got to Lewistown you could have turned on 522 and went up the valley straight to Beaver Springs, it's straight and flat all the way. At least it is on the map.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yes, my friends went home 522 to the Pike. They came from more southern Ohio, so it's closer for them anyhow. They came a worse way, don't recall how. I came from the North, so 80 was a good start for me. Didn't finish so well LOL!! I've been to Carlisle in my pickup and went across the Pike with no issues. If I'm stupid enough to want to go to that track again, I'll take the pike to 522.

Live and learn.

Larry

We like it this way...keeps all you flat-landers at bay! :loldude:

attachicon.gifIMG_8125.JPG

And likely the real reason you bought the Superliner. You couldn't take getting beat to death and going 10 mph up all the hills in your B. I think that picture is a duplicate of EVERY road in PA LOL! Put a 40ft trailer behind you and HAVE FUN!!!

Ohio has a few bad roads, but most are ALOT more passable then what I saw this past weekend.

Larry

That is what made my trip rough. No jake(not that a 673 makes enough umph to make one work well enough). Plus, mine likes to jump outta 2nd under decel. Have to keep your hand on it or it works out and leaves you in Georgia Overdrive. Only gear that does it, and not an issue under load.

Larry

A nice new road in Pa would be 99 from Altoona up to 80. I just ran that way for the first time up to Scranton and Wilkes-Barre and I have to say it was a really nice road to drive on.

99 from Altoona to 80 is the newest section. It was opened a few years ago.

Ken