Dynatard on 1988 R w/ 350

mimscorp

Hi All, I have a coupng of questions

#1 My truck has a dynatard engine brake. I've had numerous problems with the Micro switch on the accelerator linkage. In my opinion Mack didn't use a very suitable switch for its application. I straightened this out with a much higher quality switch. Now, having got the switching issue under control I am not at all satisfied with the hold back property of this system. Consequently, my question is this. Seeing how the brake is definately workiing is there some problem that can make it have a reduced effect or is this "As good as it gets" with this type brake. If it is possible to be operating but not well what can I do?

# 2 My 1988 R model is a heavy spec truck. I'm, for the most part, very satisfied with this unit and would like to restore it to A-1 condition. The problem is that it has a double frame that is rusting between the members and making them tweak out of shape. What can be done short of dissassembly?

Thaks in advance for any help you can give Bill

A engine brake on a E 6 engine is not what many people exspect.They work better if you open both doors wide open with windows rolled up when you want to slow down. But they are great to shift with on a up hill shift.

On the rust you will have to open up the frame rails to get it out.

• Like 1

glenn akers

On the engine brake keep in mind you only have 672 cu. in. of engine there. it will never hold as well as an 855 Cummins or a 14.6 liter Cat.The valve adjustment has a huge effect on the effectiveness of the Dynatard. Keep a good tight .016 for intake and .024 for exhaust.As for the frame little can be done short of replacing the rails. I'ne changed 2 RD's with double frames to single 3/8 " rails.That will eliminate the problem. Steve

• 2 weeks later...

some people use an air hammer to knock the rust loose depends on how bad it is, the biggest thing is to get it to stop rusting, lots of thoughts on this from drilling the inner frame and installing grease fittings, to soaking it with diffrent chemical soulotions or paint, I would think it really depends on how bad it is splayed/rusted

• Like 1

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

• 6 years later...
On 4/21/2013 at 9:16 AM, mimscorp said:

Hi All, I have a coupng of questions

#1 My truck has a dynatard engine brake. I've had numerous problems with the Micro switch on the accelerator linkage. In my opinion Mack didn't use a very suitable switch for its application. I straightened this out with a much higher quality switch. Now, having got the switching issue under control I am not at all satisfied with the hold back property of this system. Consequently, my question is this. Seeing how the brake is definately workiing is there some problem that can make it have a reduced effect or is this "As good as it gets" with this type brake. If it is possible to be operating but not well what can I do?

# 2 My 1988 R model is a heavy spec truck. I'm, for the most part, very satisfied with this unit and would like to restore it to A-1 condition. The problem is that it has a double frame that is rusting between the members and making them tweak out of shape. What can be done short of dissassembly?

Thaks in advance for any help you can give Bill

Do you happen to know what switch you used?