E9 Engine Brake

I have a 92 CL-700 with an E9-500. The engine brake works great when the engine isn't super warm, (i know, not the time to be running the jakes) but when it gets to normal operating temperature, it won't turn on. When I let off on the pedal, I can hear a buzzing coming from the dash but nothing happens. Occasionally if I leave it for a long time, the jake will eventually come on, but not always. If I leave the truck idling with the switch on, the jake will randomly come on and the engine will sound like a drowning water buffalo. It's a great truck other than that, leaves all our other ones in the dust, but I'm scared that I'm gonna end up with an unwanted hood ornament made by Ford, GM, or Chrysler if i can't get this brake working.

Check for power at the heads and that the throttle switch and clutch switch are working. They work better cold because of colder thicker oil but there may be an issue of the pump arm not moving as far hot as cold so no activation. Does your truck have an air throttle or cable? If cable stick your toe behind it and pull up next time the switch is on and it doesn't activate.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

also you can take a jumper wire to the dynatard stud at the head unhook the factory wire and test all 4 independently when the eng is warm this will tell you if each head is functioning properly. also check eng brake relay in fuse panel. you could replace the pump and clutch switch with a foot pedal switch next to the throttle pedal, depending on driving conditions.

• 3 years later...

I was having the same issue went through everything trying to figure out why it wasn't turning on or bouncing off and on turns out it was the throttle return spring was weak and eventually broke that tuned me into the fact that with the air throttle the rod had a tendency to bounce off the switch

20171121_111226.jpg

01212_5jqC6v78zNs_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1