GMC General at abandoned house

JTFormula

Chris,

That's awesome! Thanks for continuing this thread! I have a blog I started too "Save the General" but was slow on the updates. Let me get that up to speed first and then you can send me updates so I can post it. I couldn't be happier with the buyer.

Those door latch issue bothered me enough to know it should be fixed but I learned to live with it. You have a better workshop since mine was always outside.

What did you use on the Pot Metal?

I've done pits an cavities on parts to be rechromed with Conductive Epoxy but do have a few items that need "weld" repairs. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Small world. I'm the guy in NY that bought this and while searching for some parts for this old girl through the power of google, I stumbled across this thread. If it's alright with you guys, I'd like to do my best to keep the progress of this truck documented in this one location since JT has done such a good job so far.

While cleaning the cab, I realized the rubber floor mat was soaked, most likely from a water leak in the cowel, so i removed that and vaccuumed the floor clean to let it dry out. I will wire wheel and paint the floor to protect/seal it and then remake the rubber mat. I had to replace a few s194 bulbs in the dash to get all the warning/turn signal indicators to work, and fix some grounds to the cab lights. Im just really impressed how complete and rust free the truck is. Today i decided to take both door panels off to address the door latches and exterior handles. A plethora of broken torsion springs really compounded to not allowing them to work the way they should. Anyway, like what was already mentioned, this will be a truck to haul tractors to pulls and shows and will be painted black to match the rest of the fleet.

That's cool you continue to track down the progress in the same tread.

Congrats on the purchase!

Nice looking truck.

On my mind it might be kept in dark blue (or darker than now) to keep its originalyty and match the fleet with a little exception.

And welcome to the forum!

Vlad

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Silver 92, they made alot of power with the large nozzles, and a lot of rpms, sound really nice with a gutted muffler or 2!!

Yes, I owned on for five years in a 1980 Chevy Titian....It was Rated at 365HP when I bought it (it was in OK city and I flew down and drove it home to Maine) and I had it turned up to 435HP. If I recall those were the min/max HP of that engine if all was stock. It did run very well but.........4 miles to the gallon loaded or empty was the average mpg in the entire 5 years I ran it.

Hope you'll go smooth through al the story.

Would like to see a progress.

And just forgot to mention, I'm agree on the black with red strips paint scheme idea.

Would look cool on my mind.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Holy crap! You've taken this to the next level. Makes me happy.

Paul - the back of the hood where it meets the cowl was chewed up from people letting it slam down on the cowl. I drove to MA to get that green hood two years ago. The back yard looks weird with it gone now. I wanted to use it for a picnic table one 4th of July.

• Like 1

I just said to my wife after showing her these pictures "you know, Chris has three things I didn't have"

1. A place to work on it

2. The right equipment to work on it

3. The skills to work on it

I'm excited to see the progress.

The battery box came yesterday, so after work I spent some time brainstorming on how to fit it. I will have to re-locate the supply reservoir and the dryer to under the cab. I also need to keep in mind a location to mount the pogo stick for the trailer lines. I will move the air line bulkhead from the lower cab seam to along the frame so the battery box will be able to open and sit flush against the back of the cab. I also got the rear tank mount off so i can move it to the front of the frame to shift that tank. Still trying to brainstorm how i'm going to package everything and still maintain some sort of routing for a Y pipe for a second stack.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

• Like 1

Hope your not planning on drilling thru the flanges of the chassis to mount the box as this is a no no out here and they wont let your register it once its been done

just saying

Paul

I'd probably drill the battery box and clamp to the flanges.

Nice welding on the battery box. I would think some gussets on the battery box for support. After some miles of bouncing around the aluminum would either crack or bend. Like Mrsmackpaul said drilling frame flanges is a nono.Maybe mount a cross support to frame to bolt box to. Joe D.