Polishing Advice

Just start to sand and you will see.

On my way I worked with "wooden" biggest grade paper (it was on a cloth though) for about 20 minutes on two hands area. Had nothing good to continue with less grade. So asked to machine them and got it done. There was nearly 17 mm thikness at all and the only 1 was stealed. So I don't worry. But the wheels were not being polished, protected and maybe just washed for more that 15 years.

84Superdog, the tank looks mmm... very nice!

Wonder what I would get of my old poor aluminium stuff.

Have half a meter of snow around the truck still.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Brilliant...!!! pardon the pun...

need some advice for a newbie polisher...

my rear wheels look like they have never been polished, or, at least for 10 years. Some pitting corrosion has set in and I'm sure when I remove the wheel nuts I will find more problems..

I have used Alodine previously to remove corrosion out of pits in aluminum plate, any probs using it on truck wheel rims?

are these wheels beyond hope of ever shining again?

I have heard, but not yet seen the results of, machining a small amount of aluminum off the rim as a solution... I assume it is done within factory limits for material remaining.... anyone had this done??

added a pic of my worst wheel, hope the res is good enough to see the pitting...

advice gratefully accepted

BC Mack

the tire shop near me can redo any alum. Wheel and polish it to a mirror finish on a machine.

A MACHINE! You don't get nearly dirty enough like that, you know you've been polishing when your blowing out black boogers the next day.

LMFAO! thats a good one! damn near spit out my coffee this morning laughing!............................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

On my "to do" list is polishing my fuel tanks. They are nicked from "road debris" and oxidized. I do not need a mirror finish but would like to remove the oxidation. Don't like acid wash. What do you recommend? I read the previous posts and I am SO CONFUSED! :)

The left tank is the "leaker" and trying to decide how to repair...likely welded band. I will polish the tank after repair while it is still off the truck.

Going to MATS Th and F and would like to come home with a good polish.

Not really interested in "black boogers".

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

If they aren't smooth you'll have to either wet sand or use a buffer and a polishing wheel with some jewelers rouge. The tanks will shine like new after you use a buffer on em, I like a yellow (medium) wheel and green jewelers rouge for a one shot polish. Oh and it beats the hell out of hand polishing you'll have to wet sand then hand polish two or three times to get the same effect.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

gotta agree sanding is the answer. never really liked acid wash myself. i have used them all myself. have some Speedy right now in the cabinet. worst shit i have ever used was Mothers mag and aluminum polish. might look good for a few days and thats it. anyone got any opinions on what to polish the stainless machine finish fenders on the back of my B with? everything i use is either a pain in the ass, comes off hard or leaves smears.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

gotta agree sanding is the answer. never really liked acid wash myself. i have used them all myself. have some Speedy right now in the cabinet. worst shit i have ever used was Mothers mag and aluminum polish. might look good for a few days and thats it. anyone got any opinions on what to polish the stainless machine finish fenders on the back of my B with? everything i use is either a pain in the ass, comes off hard or leaves smears.

Zephyr pro 40 metal polish go easy by hand, use a terry cloth wax pad to apply it and terry towel to remove after it dries if there's a film when you're done just wash with regular car wash and dry it off.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

• 2 weeks later...

use the speedy,but let it dry before you wipe it off, i use on my stainless stuff.

• 2 months later...

What color of jewelers rouge should I use for polish my Fuel Tanks? They r new just unpolished thanks.

new unpolished go with green, itll smooth em out and make em shine in one step, or you can start with red, then go to blue for a two step both will shine about the same on new aluminum.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm nice work.. well i think wet sanding is enough to wipe off the hard water stains.... and then polishing the wheel with a good metal wheel polish.. but guys you work is also great.. thanks for sharing this stuff. This thread is very helpful I learn many new things from this thread.