Polishing Advice

I have all the right tools, they make it look easy on Youtube!!!

What am I doing wrong? Is it because I didnt get all of the aluminum oxide off of the wheel before I tried to polish?

Is the black stuff excess polishing compound?

Should I start with a chemical wash? Sand it off?

It looks worse now than before I started!

post-6773-0-44575600-1362699891_thumb.jp

That looks pretty rough to me, I have been polishing wheels and takns for a long time now and for a wheel with that kind of pitting the best way to do it is to start from scratch. I would start by sanding the wheel smooth either with an electric sander and some 180 or by hand, remember the key is smooth dont push on the sander let it float, then wet sand with 1000, after that dry the wheel and use a buffer with some green jewlers rouge and cut the aluminum this wil make it shine like new money, but your now done, to remove the machine marks polish by hand with any aluminum polish and after the polish drys use a clean terry cloth towell and some flour, put the flower in a bowl and just dab the towell in it then tap the excess off then iuse it to lightly buff away the dried polish. they will look brand new when your done.

below is before and after, the tanks and wheels were pitted pretty bad but they came out great.

post-5240-0-81579700-1362701434_thumb.jp

post-5240-0-86774100-1362701505_thumb.jp

• Like 2

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Oops missed something, dont put chemicals on your wheels, those are pitted from salt ,road grit, and acid (aluminum brightener) used to make em shiny(bright silver), the only problem is the acid eats at the surface of the wheel and over time pits it out worse so you have to use more to get em lean and shiny again and it gets worse faster, its a vicious cycle. With wheels like that I would start by sanding they are too rough to polish without a smooth surface first, sorry man its a bunch of work, or you can hire somebody I had a guy do some of mine for $25/wheel from the sanding all the way thru cause I was lazy.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

What I usually do when it's polished aluminum is hit it with a acid like aluminum brightener sprayed on let it sit for no more then a min then rinse with water, then u have the clean surface, then I used a cutting type polish and clean off then last I use mothers aluminum polish and it's a mirror finish every time it takes a while but it's worth it

Here are some air tanks off a CL tractor. First step was to steam clean, then start to wet sand. 600-1200-2000 (wash in between each sanding). Then hit with a brown rouge bar with red wheel, clean off (use brake clean) then hit with a yellow wheel and green rouge for finish.

post-38-0-26475900-1362702441_thumb.jpg Before

post-38-0-09173200-1362702475_thumb.jpg Sanded

post-38-0-28151300-1362702498_thumb.jpg All done

• Like 1

Oops missed something, dont put chemicals on your wheels, those are pitted from salt ,road grit, and acid (aluminum brightener) used to make em shiny(bright silver), the only problem is the acid eats at the surface of the wheel and over time pits it out worse so you have to use more to get em lean and shiny again and it gets worse faster, its a vicious cycle. With wheels like that I would start by sanding they are too rough to polish without a smooth surface first, sorry man its a bunch of work, or you can hire somebody I had a guy do some of mine for $25/wheel from the sanding all the way thru cause I was lazy.

Right on Superdog. I have seen so many guys use acid time and time again and completely ruin there aluminum. I saw a guy by

me turn a shiny new East Genesis dump trailer white in two weeks. Just awful. Or like Mack Man said a quick rinse with acid to

clean the heavy stuff and then polish, but to many acid baths = ruined rims, tanks. A lot of guys are always looking for a quick

fix when it comes to polishing but the truth is, it is just hard work and elbow grease.

• Like 1

Sleepy, I use Busch sealer after I get mine polished, the Busch polish makes you work a bit harder than the Zephyr and I think it leaves more scuffs so I always ended up polishing twice with Busch once to get it shiny then again really light to remove the swirls. The Busch products are great stuff I have two or three bottles of the sealer in the garage right now, I think I still have some cleaner and polish too, I used to buy every kind I could find looking for the best one, the Busch guy gave me a full set last year at Mid America, by the way Im going to Mid America saturday, anybody else?

slpwlker, I said sleepy just fyi! ha!

• Like 1

slpwlker, I said sleepy just fyi! ha!

Hell Sleepy is right. Dozed off earlier and can't seem to shake the cobwebs. Hope that means I will sleep longer then 3 hours tonight.

Hell just don't call me late for dinner and I will probably answer to most anything

10-4!

As bad as those wheels are they need sanded first. You should start with a rough grit about 200 then 800. Then use jewelers rouge if sanded you should be able to use green. If you want a good shine that look like new after the green use white. You will need a varible speed grinder with polishing pads for the grinder. Dewalt work the best. It is dirty work but when you are done they look like new.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

Not shure you'd go well with discs.

They are good on flat surfaces and with low revs. Be careful.

I also worry too much applying any acid.

Mine had deep corrosion when I looked 'em up close. I mean max.close.

I had to cut off no less than 1 mm of surface with a big lathe.

Than sand them hard with 240 on a wooden block to flat waves. It took 2 working days for each one.

After 240 I made 600, 1000 and 2000 wet during 1-1.5 houres and polished with just a cloth by hand in half an hour.

Of cource I tried soft disc with green agent for a first but got black stains where I touched it. Needed too slow revs.

So continued with a piece of leather and got a bunch of little scratches.

Ended up with chrome polish and clean cloth.

And again, when I look them over up close I can see little black traces inside aluminium. Wonder what acid would do if it penetrates into :whistling:

post-3971-0-39840300-1362850823_thumb.jp

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

I got into a polishing project today, my new company truck has an aluminum fuel tank that was unpolished figured id get it done while it was nice out.

post-5240-0-85304500-1362867787_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I got into a polishing project today, my new company truck has an aluminum fuel tank that was unpolished figured id get it done while it was nice out.

Brilliant...!!! pardon the pun...

need some advice for a newbie polisher...

my rear wheels look like they have never been polished, or, at least for 10 years. Some pitting corrosion has set in and I'm sure when I remove the wheel nuts I will find more problems..

I have used Alodine previously to remove corrosion out of pits in aluminum plate, any probs using it on truck wheel rims?

are these wheels beyond hope of ever shining again?

I have heard, but not yet seen the results of, machining a small amount of aluminum off the rim as a solution... I assume it is done within factory limits for material remaining.... anyone had this done??

added a pic of my worst wheel, hope the res is good enough to see the pitting...

advice gratefully accepted

BC Mack

post-10384-0-35422800-1362887093_thumb.j

• Like 1

I would sand em then machine polish, I think they'll come out ok, when sanding don't use force just let the sander or sand paper slide across. It takes longer than applying pressure but you don't get sanding scratches and you won't have to wet sand before machine polishing. I would start with some 200-300 then work down to 800 then hit em with some green jewelers rouge on a stiff yellow buff.