woops

randyp

Was running both dump trucks today, had a new driver in the old 80 model. He just so happened to dump, not lower bed, and drag power line down on himself, snapped transformer pole off at ground. I had just dumped and was bout 100 yards away. i yanked brake button out, jumped out, and for an old dude, i think I set a new 100 yard dash record getting to him. I guess its a good thing i did, cause he had plans on trying to step out! I kept yelling at him to sit still, dont move, dont blink, keep hands where they were. He told me there werent any wires around door, I think I can get out. Yeah my friend, your foot hits the ground and you are fried meat! Long story short, he stayed in truck and lived and power company got there and all is well now,,,till i get their bill I guess. Im just glad nobody hurt or killed. Im getting way too old for that much excitement. I need a long vacation. I may go to Virginia and watch Other Dogs garden grow or sumpin. randyp

Glad to hear nobody got hurt. That's the kind of thing that keeps the temptation of becoming anything bigger than an owner-operator down for me. I believe if you have one foot or hand on the truck and the other on the ground, you complete the circuit and it's lights out. I could be wrong, though.

• Like 1

Jake

I dint have camera, was prolly too nervous to operate it ifn I did. You never try to exit vehicle, sit very still and wait for help. If vehicle catches on fire and you must leave, a matter of life or death, then you jump as high and far as you can from it, again, only as a last resort. randyp

• Like 2

Glad to hear nobody got hurt. That's the kind of thing that keeps the temptation of becoming anything bigger than an owner-operator down for me. I believe if you have one foot or hand on the truck and the other on the ground, you complete the circuit and it's lights out. I could be wrong, though.

You are correct,,,randyp

Whoa. Glad you guys are alright. Any pictures? I know your not supposed to get out if the vehicle if lines come down. But here's a serious question, what do you do in that situation?

You stay in the truck and don't touch anything until they cut the power. If you touch the ground you ground yourself and then your fried. and as above if burning jump without completing circuit

• Like 2

Matt

...rather than discuss what all you are s'posed to do (or not do) if you knock over a power line, wouldn't it be easier to just not knock it down in the first place? :idunno:

...and if I had a driver dumb/inattentive enough to get tangled up in some power lines, if the 'lectricity didn't kill him, I WOULD! :angry:

No telling how much damage was done to the truck...bearings pitted, steel belts in the tires burned, etc...power company's bill might just be the beginning of the financial repercussions. :wacko:

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Randyp last summer we was hauling asphalt to a smaller town here and late in the even they got in a hurry and told us when we get thru dumping in the lay down machine pull out and around the truck in front of you.And for them to be raising their bed and then dump when they feel the lay down machine. And the emty truck pull out and around in front and stand your bed up and clean out.This truck behind me did that and as i was backing up he stood his bed up into a hi/line wire or wires. Sparks and a grass fire. I grab the mic and told him ten times that he would die if he gets out. little later electric .fire and police was there and got him out. Two hrs later i pulled into my place he called me and thanked me for keeping him in there cause he said he would have got out cause he wanted to see. Funny thing bout drivers they all want to see whats going on.But he said he did not have a clue what i was talking about when i said he who burn if he got out. So happened the wire that fell on his truck was hot and did not break a circuit like it should have.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Glad to hear evryones OK ,Randy! Every year we have a Mine Safety Refresher Course and they always remind us about the dangers of live wires.Nothin' to mess with!

• Like 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

About five years ago a friend of mine had a driver take out a transformer and five poles. No one hurt but the bill was $21,000. Retirement looks better and better every day doesn't it Randy?
About five years ago a friend of mine had a driver take out a transformer and five poles. No one hurt but the bill was $21,000. Retirement looks better and better every day doesn't it Randy?

yes it do David!

Glad to hear no one was hurt! is'nt "thou shalt lowerest body after dumping" one of the 10 commandments? been lucky as to never pulled down any power lines,but back when i was a rookie local mover,i went to a job on a dead-end street,had to turn around,to get back out,not taking into consideration the crown of the road (higher on one side) well,long story short,i took down a SHIT-POT of cable TV wires with the trailer! lemme tell ya' there were a lot of pissed off old ladies and housewives that were going to miss their "stories" and Judge Judy! lucky to have made it out with my life! i called the cops myself,and when they arrived,they said not to worry about it,the wires are supposed to be high enough for trucks to clear,its the cable companies problem! never heard anymore about it!.............Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

I hope the driver, truck and your heart are OK Randy! I havent ever done it but Ive seen it done, its pricey for sure, oh and jumping and actually getting clear depends completely on the voltage if its big power, itll jump with you, there is a clearance point for each jump in voltage I think 60kv is 9 feet! good luck jumping that far, I always said if I did it and the truck was still running Id keep going till the line broke or gounded so I could get out.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Now that the drivers ok, how's the truck? Seen electricity damage bearings and shafts that fail shortly after the "shocking event".. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

All seems to be okay on truck, he ran it all day today with no problems. Old 80 R,,just dont make em like that anymore. It was actually his first time to drive a truck, he just got his CDL. I thought I had covered all he could encounter,,,,but that is silly,,,cause its a lifetime learning process. He will be okay, just needs to get settled, relax a lil and pay close attention. Just glad hes okay. Thanks all for concerns. randyp

• Like 2

Being that he is a green rookie it can be forgiven to a point. Shit happens but it cost dearly when they fawk up. Bet he remembers drop the bed within 5 ' of the pile coming out. and make sure he remembers to turn the pump off

...rather than discuss what all you are s'posed to do (or not do) if you knock over a power line, wouldn't it be easier to just not knock it down in the first place? :idunno:

...and if I had a driver dumb/inattentive enough to get tangled up in some power lines, if the 'lectricity didn't kill him, I WOULD! :angry:

No telling how much damage was done to the truck...bearings pitted, steel belts in the tires burned, etc...power company's bill might just be the beginning of the financial repercussions. :wacko:

Yeah, course it would be easier to just not knock it down, but he learned a valuable lesson on the start of his new career, and survived. He may wind up being really top notch driver someday and tell his kids or grandkids bout it. Hes got a wife and lil one that he got to go home to. Dont really give a rats ass bout truck, or 100 just like em. I can buy trucks, but not somebodys life. randyp

• Like 2

Being that he is a green rookie it can be forgiven to a point. Shit happens but it cost dearly when they fawk up. Bet he remembers drop the bed within 5 ' of the pile coming out. and make sure he remembers to turn the pump off

I know you right! randyp

Yeah, course it would be easier to just not knock it down, but he learned a valuable lesson on the start of his new career, and survived. He may wind up being really top notch driver someday and tell his kids or grandkids bout it. Hes got a wife and lil one that he got to go home to. Dont really give a rats ass bout truck, or 100 just like em. I can buy trucks, but not somebodys life. randyp

That changes things quite a bit with him being a rookie and all...I was figgering he had a few years under his belt. Everybody makes a mistake or two when they are first starting out....haven't been out long enough to learn from other people's mistakes yet, so they gotta make their own. One of the risks, I guess, of hiring & training somebody brand new to the job. The plus side, though, you can train him to do the job the way you want the job done and he don't know no better. When I was teaching the Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes back in college, it was always easier to take somebody who had NEVER ridden a motorcycle and get them up to speed than it was to have an "experienced" rider who's had time to develop bad habits that I'd have to break before I could teach him the proper way of doing things.

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sorry I'm late to the party.

Yes randy, I did the same thing in March. Lost all 10 (ten) tires that were on the ground.

With insurance, it still cost me $2500.

Oh, and the power company was $1200 since I didn't take a pole with me.

Yes, when you are in the seat, that AW SHIT!!! hits, then the desire to get out. Luckily, I knew to stay put. Although one tire started smoking good and I thought I might have to take that leap of faith.

Have not found anything that I can directly relate to the incident as of yet.

Few years back, a WM driver got caught up in some wires, Jumped out all clear.

realized he forgot his cell phone in the truck. that was it.

Glad to hear your newb is fine, maybe smelled a little, but drawers is cheap. Teach him right

• Like 1

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian