Road trip to Superdog's place

Well, I've got yet another stupid question for all y'all supertruckers out there. Whenever (IF) the weather breaks, I'm heading north to Superdog's to pick up a truck, then another 20 miles or so to pick up a hopper bottom a friend just bought. I've always just run local and never drawn the first line in a log book. This is going to be a 9 hour drive one way, and I'm just wondering what would be the best way to at least appear legal? I know better than to ask our local revenue office about the subject... It's hard enough just getting a tag renewed every year. Should I try to figure out what each state requires as far as drive out tags are concerned, stop at the scales to buy a 72 hour permit, or just play Arkansas dumb and outlaw it home? I'll only be going through Missouri and a short piece into Iowa. Thanks!

Jake

Never really done anything like that but when I drove a none apportioned truck out of state I had trip permits and I think ifta permits also. Only state that busted my balls was Sd they wanted all the paperwork. Not all states sell permits at scales so keep that in mind before you pull in and get bent over

Never really done anything like that but when I drove a none apportioned truck out of state I had trip permits and I think ifta permits also. Only state that busted my balls was Sd they wanted all the paperwork. Not all states sell permits at scales so keep that in mind before you pull in and get bent over

I heard that too. I'm not really sure what the best plan of attack is gonna be.

Jake

Can you run around the scales? I run around em here all the time so I dont have to deal with their B.S. I would take a log book for sure, use one page to show off duty for the preceding 36 hours, you are allowed to log more than one day off on one page just put the total hours on the right side then you will have 70hrs available, then if you arent driving a truck till you leave SUperdogs place start your log there, show off duty till that point if anyone asks you are telling the truth in being off duty since you were not in a cmv till that point but if anyone asks someone drove you there to get the truck. Just remember you can be on duty for 14 hours total, driving for 10 off for 8 to get 14/10 more, you need 36 hours to restart with a full 70. I think as long as it is your truck and trailer and you have a bill of sale and or the title in your possesion you are ok to drive it home, but if you go get a trailer for a friend you are operating as a business and are subject to all cmv rules and cannot cross state lines legally with a load (an empty trailer for someone else qualifies) without tags, insurance, log, pre trip and annual inspection.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

I heard that too. I'm not really sure what the best plan of attack is gonna be.

Best plan of attack is to 2 lane it to the house and skip the scales all together, takes a little longer but it will save you some worries and you can look for old Macks in the fence rows too.
  • Like 1

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Can you run around the scales? I run around em here all the time so I dont have to deal with their B.S. I would take a log book for sure, use one page to show off duty for the preceding 36 hours, you are allowed to log more than one day off on one page just put the total hours on the right side then you will have 70hrs available, then if you arent driving a truck till you leave SUperdogs place start your log there, show off duty till that point if anyone asks you are telling the truth in being off duty since you were not in a cmv till that point but if anyone asks someone drove you there to get the truck. Just remember you can be on duty for 14 hours total, driving for 10 off for 8 to get 14/10 more, you need 36 hours to restart with a full 70. I think as long as it is your truck and trailer and you have a bill of sale and or the title in your possesion you are ok to drive it home, but if you go get a trailer for a friend you are operating as a business and are subject to all cmv rules and cannot cross state lines legally with a load (an empty trailer for someone else qualifies) without tags, insurance, log, pre trip and annual inspection.

Dang, I didn't know the empty trailer for someone else world be considered for hire. I'll definitely have proof of insurance and a bill of sale, though.

Jake

Best plan of attack is to 2 lane it to the house and skip the scales all together, takes a little longer but it will save you some worries and you can look for old Macks in the fence rows too.

Superdog said there weren't any southbound scales on 61 going into MO. There's a big gap between IA and AR that I'm not sure about though. Lol

Jake

go to a local sign shop that makes vinly decals and get NOT FOR HIRE made up and stick it on both sides of the truck for the drive, you can put it on the dirty truck without wiping it off that way it will come off easier when you get home, I have done that before it makes you legal to operate in "your" truck with "your" load without operating authority, forgot to put that above. I have it on my sleeper its 2" tall and about 14" long

84 super dog is partially correct. it is 11 driving total 14 for the day with a 10 hour break. also as explained to me after flying to get a truck once I left the house I was on duty go figure. Also it is a 34 hour restart 36 is Canada. Even if you show your trip up you can scribble something and start it showing a 10 hour when you get the Truck. Run it legal less headaches. Also not for hire doesn't mean you will not get stopped and looked at. As soon as i get the email I'll post a pic of a multiday off log and what it should look like as explained to me by the log gods at the glass palace in Jacksonville. AKA Landstar when I was leased there

• Like 1

Some states will give you a 48 hr permit online. I can go to the auctions in MN from iowa with a $10 pemit. IFTA tax is the other permit you might need. Don't remember the regs on that. You will legaly need dot number to cross state lines. Found that out the hard way bringing home a truck I purchased.

84 super dog is partially correct. it is 11 driving total 14 for the day with a 10 hour break. also as explained to me after flying to get a truck once I left the house I was on duty go figure. Also it is a 34 hour restart 36 is Canada. Even if you show your trip up you can scribble something and start it showing a 10 hour when you get the Truck. Run it legal less headaches. Also not for hire doesn't mean you will not get stopped and looked at. As soon as i get the email I'll post a pic of a multiday off log and what it should look like as explained to me by the log gods at the glass palace in Jacksonville. AKA Landstar when I was leased there

Damni did screw that all up, I just went back and read it out loud, oops, yeah 34 hour restart and 11 hours driving, man I must have been completely out of it I fill one out every day you think I would be able to tell someone what to put on it! MY BAD!

We'll all just show up one day unannounced in a convoy.

I could be up for that I just need plenty of notice so I can sell everything else I have to finance a lowboy and whatever I bring home on it.

:worthlesswithoutpics[1]:

I know it.. Mike posted a couple of pics of it a few weeks back.. I haven't quite got the hang of posting yet but I'm working on it! Anyway, we decided it best to wait until spring to come after the truck, seeing as it's in the back of a pasture with about 4 feet of snow on top of it. We're just gonna take my buddy's 05 Vision to pick up his trailer. I appreciate all of yall's input though!

Jake

"Field trip- everybody get on the bus,we're all going to Mike's place- woo-hoo!"

Y'all can swing down this way and pick up Mark and myself, then we can go across Tennessee and get Joe, other Mike, and Mack.

Eveybody???

This thing looks tiny for.

At least you need to add a bus trailor to it.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

"Field trip- everybody get on the bus,we're all going to Mike's place- woo-hoo!"

Y'all can swing down this way and pick up Mark and myself, then we can go across Tennessee and get Joe, other Mike, and Mack.

I call "shotgun" wherever that might be!........................................Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.