I need opinions!

tkobes43

Ever since i sold my pick up truck i have missed it dearly!! So I'm selling my Dump truck in order to get another pick up. Please read the description of the ebay auction for the dump truck and you will figure out why I'm asking 16k for a 96.

My truck-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-Ford-F350-Mason-Dump-W-9ft-Fisher-Plow-/170955509151?_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1182

And here are the two trucks i am looking at. Both located in texas.

250k Miles F350

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-F350-Lariat-4WD-Powerstroke-Diesel-Leather-Tool-Box-Crew-We-Finance-cummins-/360519257462?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item53f09f4d76#ht_7208wt_1167

and 150k Miles F250

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lariat-FX4-4-/150953737291?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619&forcev4exp=true

Don't try and get me in the seat of a cummins or duramax, Im a ford guy all the way.

I would like your opinions on which one i should peruse. and why.

Thanks Guys,

Tom

"Nothing Breaks Wind Like A Bulldog"

1) Go down to the local bone yard & pull the bed off a truck that was hit in the front.

2) Paint the bed to match the truck.

3) Swap the dump bed out for the pickup bed.

Problem solved.

In all honesty, I doubt you're going to find anyone willing to pay $16K for a '96. That's more than 3x what I paid for my '96 F250 4x4....and I bought it a little over 8 years ago. Your best bet would be to take the truck that "anything that can go wrong has already been fixed" and convert it into the pickup truck you desire. Hell, if you want a single rear wheel, just pull the hubs off a 250/350 SRW truck while you're in the bone yard looking for a decent bed. You could probably even mount the pickup box on top of the hydraulics to have a truck that looks like a regular pickup but dumps like your dump....might have to do a body lift on the cab to get the body lines to line up....but it'd be one heck of a truck when you're done with it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

1) Go down to the local bone yard & pull the bed off a truck that was hit in the front.

2) Paint the bed to match the truck.

3) Swap the dump bed out for the pickup bed.

Problem solved.

In all honesty, I doubt you're going to find anyone willing to pay $16K for a '96. That's more than 3x what I paid for my '96 F250 4x4....and I bought it a little over 8 years ago. Your best bet would be to take the truck that "anything that can go wrong has already been fixed" and convert it into the pickup truck you desire. Hell, if you want a single rear wheel, just pull the hubs off a 250/350 SRW truck while you're in the bone yard looking for a decent bed. You could probably even mount the pickup box on top of the hydraulics to have a truck that looks like a regular pickup but dumps like your dump....might have to do a body lift on the cab to get the body lines to line up....but it'd be one heck of a truck when you're done with it.

Well Rowdy, I had the truck sold at 13k last year. and i backed out the day before cause i didn't want to take that big of a hit. I just put 16 up there so i have negotiating room to work with.

tom

I have never heard anything good about a 6.0L or a 6.4L. Lots of problems. I have a '01 F-250 SD. There is not enough money to buy mine. The turbocharged 7.3 is the best motor that was put in a super duty. I have to agree with Rowdy. Either put a bed on the one you got or spend $58,000 on a new one. I have heard good things about the 6.7L.

This is Mack country. On a quiet night you can hear a peterbilt rust away.

I have never heard anything good about a 6.0L or a 6.4L. Lots of problems. I have a '01 F-250 SD. There is not enough money to buy mine. The turbocharged 7.3 is the best motor that was put in a super duty. I have to agree with Rowdy. Either put a bed on the one you got or spend $58,000 on a new one. I have heard good things about the 6.7L.

My last pickup was a 6.4 and had no issues, My dad had 2 6.0s and my uncle had one both had no issues. My dad traded his 04 6.0 in 2007 for a new one cause the 04 has 150k on it and he wanted something newer. Ive had all fords in my family and im not affriad of the issues that a 6.0 may have. I know how to deal with them.

The 6.0 is a good engine, but the 6.4 is another story, if you get a good one you are ok, we had six fleet trucks with the 6.4 and 3 of them had engine put in under warrenty, one of them had one put in at 20,000 miles and then had another one at 60,000. and turbos and other things with the other ones. The 6.0 have had egr problems and injectors but at around 110,000 miles. Now the trucks get the piss drove out of them but they never miss oil change, and change fuel filters every month. My opionion is go with a 7.3 if i could they have a 99 with one in it and it has 200,000 somthing on it and it is a 450 with a dump bed and the only thing been done to it is a clucth.

Contact that guy you had it sold to last year and see if he is still a player. I agree $16k is strong money for that truck. It's clean and miles are relatively low for a 16 year old truck

I backed out cause that guy was a Douche Bag. And once again i put 16k on the auction so i have wiggle room to negotiate. Im not expecting 16k but if some moron hits BIT he legally has to pay for it.

Tom

have a 6.0 in out 2007 F350 lariat i drive for work everyday. over all a good engine, no problems, just a gutless piece of junk in my eyes. had 121000 on it and just had to put a new computer in it for the injection and have it set up at the dealer for $1800. only other thing we did was put a low oil pressure switch in it. overall a good motor, but gutless, we have a 99 f350 xlt with the 7.3 international engine it it with 230,000 on it. best engine i ever seen . the transmission is a weak spot tho.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I backed out cause that guy was a Douche Bag. And once again i put 16k on the auction so i have wiggle room to negotiate. Im not expecting 16k but if some moron hits BIT he legally has to pay for it.

Tom

Problem is you are going to scare away people who see $16k and say this guys nuts and move onto the next truck. There is no second chance to make a first impression. You have to be the best truck for what is out there similar to yours, and justify the price you are asking. For that price you have listed, someone can get a much newer truck and the newer body style. I just did a quick search and most 96ish mason dumps were priced from $7,000-$11,000. Right now you are $5,000 over the highest priced one I found (96 7.3 extended wheelbase with behind the cab tool box and only 96k miles by the way for $10,900). Its nice to have some room for negotiations but to tack on thousands of dollars is just going to work against you. Add $500-1,000 to your rock bottom price to give an asking price and just stand your ground between that threshold. You also have to remember, last year you had an buyer at $13k. Now your truck is a year older and more miles. It may not be worth the same as last year anymore. Its a mason dump with a much more limted audience than lets say a Toyota Corrola.

You want your buyers to say, that's a nice truck I should call him instead of saying whats that guy smoking? Right now is the slowest time to sell a vehicle and you want take advantage of everything you can to sell it as quickly as you can. Traditionally, car sales are down from now until March. Make your offering attractive to as many people as possible and not hold off and wait for that one guy who says maybe. You want multiple buyers/offers instead of waiting for that one magical buyer.

When I list something personally for sale, I add maybe $300-500 of fluff room. I never put in my ads take best offer because that opens the door to stupid people. I just say Price is $XXXX. Then when a real buyer comes to see it, and asks if there is any room, I say I can take off a couple hundred but that's it. I also don't negotiate over the phone or email. Those are the people who waste your time. Are you interested? Come down with dead presidents and then we can talk. Until then, you're just another tire kicker.

Problem is you are going to scare away people who see $16k and say this guys nuts and move onto the next truck. There is no second chance to make a first impression. You have to be the best truck for what is out there similar to yours, and justify the price you are asking. For that price you have listed, someone can get a much newer truck and the newer body style. I just did a quick search and most 96ish mason dumps were priced from $7,000-$11,000. Right now you are $5,000 over the highest priced one I found (96 7.3 extended wheelbase with behind the cab tool box and only 96k miles by the way for $10,900). Its nice to have some room for negotiations but to tack on thousands of dollars is just going to work against you. Add $500-1,000 to your rock bottom price to give an asking price and just stand your ground between that threshold. You also have to remember, last year you had an buyer at $13k. Now your truck is a year older and more miles. It may not be worth the same as last year anymore. Its a mason dump with a much more limted audience than lets say a Toyota Corrola.

You want your buyers to say, that's a nice truck I should call him instead of saying whats that guy smoking? Right now is the slowest time to sell a vehicle and you want take advantage of everything you can to sell it as quickly as you can. Traditionally, car sales are down from now until March. Make your offering attractive to as many people as possible and not hold off and wait for that one guy who says maybe. You want multiple buyers/offers instead of waiting for that one magical buyer.

When I list something personally for sale, I add maybe $300-500 of fluff room. I never put in my ads take best offer because that opens the door to stupid people. I just say Price is $XXXX. Then when a real buyer comes to see it, and asks if there is any room, I say I can take off a couple hundred but that's it. I also don't negotiate over the phone or email. Those are the people who waste your time. Are you interested? Come down with dead presidents and then we can talk. Until then, you're just another tire kicker.

well i aint taking 9-11 on the truck. I have more into the truck then that.

Tom

well i aint taking 9-11 on the truck. I have more into the truck then that.

Tom

Just trying to give some professional advice thats all. We all think our stuff is worth $1,000,000 and the buyer wants to pay $1. You just have to find that common ground. You also have to price it with what the market calls for, not what you think its worth. If you want to buy a new pickup, you dont want to have to hold onto this one for months and all the good deals go by then you sell the Dump for less and pay more for the pickup. If selling the F350 for a little less to get you into a pickup thats priced right now, thats the important thing. Theres more of a market for a Pickup then a Dump. Think about this, you are looking at a 2006 F350 Diesel Crew Cab (sweet truck by the way) for less then the $14,500 you are asking for a 1996 F350. 10 years older and more expensive.

I just sold a street rod 37 Ford Pickup at my shop for $50,000. The guy built it in 2007 and had $70,000 just in parts plus 2,000 hours of labor to build it. Lets say $75.00 an hour , thats $150,000 for a total of $220,000 into the truck and sold for $50k, or a loss of $170,000. Just because you have lots of money into it doesn't mean you will get it back. Take offers and the best one wins! Then buy your new street cruiser!

Of course, I have a picture:

37FordPURod_psf.jpg

37FordPURod_dsrr.jpg37FordPURod_int.jpg

37FordPURod_dash2.jpg37FordPURod_eng1.jpg

I have to agree...an outrageously high price tag and I just walk away. I saw a really nice '97 F350 crew cab 4x4 long bed...7.3 diesel and a 5-speed. It was EXACTLY what I was looking for (except for the color...but I could've painted it white later). When I saw the $10,000+ price tag, I didn't even bother calling the guy...not worth my time. Even the "professional" car dealers screw up like that sometimes. I saw an '87 Ranger at the local Ford dealer and stopped to check it out. Extended cab, 4wd, same V6 that I've got in my '92, and a 5 speed. The bed was a little rough on the inside, the body lines didn't all match up in the front, and there was a fist-sized dent above the rear glass on the back of the cab. If I could have got it for $1000-$1500, I would have written a check and driven it home. When I asked how much they were asking, they came in at $3900. I laughed, asked if they were serious, and started to walk away. They tried explaining to me how those negotiations work...that they start high, and I'm supposed to come in low, and we'd agree on a price somewhere in the middle. I told him they were already twice what I was expecting them to start off with as a high-ball figure, so even if I started at $0 and we met in the middle, it would still be more than I was willing to pay. The truck was 24 years old. The 1986 Ranger parked in my garage was bought brand new off the dealer floor for $6500 out the door back in 1986...and I know vehicles depreciate over time. It's a Ford Ranger, not a rare 1-of-a-kind vintage automobile.

It sat on their lot for about a month before it dissappeared. Not sure if they found a sucker willing to pay a stupid sum for the truck or if they sent it to the auction house to get rid of it.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Sell the dump body and the accessories and plop on a F 350 Dualie pick up bed. IMO Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

My brother and a good friend are ford diesel techs. The 6.0 has a few problems that onced fixed should never come up again. After they are gone it is a very powerful engine. I love my 7.3 but would love to have a 6.0 also. The 6.4 is the engine that is making the Ford into a hotrodable truck also.

I vote that you just do the right thing and buy a GM :twothumbsup: Ben

That would be like kissing your sister! :thumbsdown:

1962 B733 L cab

My brother and a good friend are ford diesel techs. The 6.0 has a few problems that onced fixed should never come up again. After they are gone it is a very powerful engine. I love my 7.3 but would love to have a 6.0 also. The 6.4 is the engine that is making the Ford into a hotrodable truck also.

You sir know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Thanks for the input, and you actually know something about the 6.0 and the 6.4 before opening your mouth!!!!!!

Finally

Tom

You sir know EXACTLY what you are talking about. Thanks for the input, and you actually know something about the 6.0 and the 6.4 before opening your mouth!!!!!!

Finally

Tom

Why thank you. I'm a Ford man through and through as well, but I do own two cummins. One in a Do$*e and the other in my Mack. Good luck on your sale.

Ben

1962 B733 L cab