Anbody want a "new" CH?

When I was truck shopping several years ago, I found a fire-department-owned mid-80's Pete with a Cat 3406B 425 with next-to-nothing on the odometer....asking way more than I could borrow on a truck that old, but in prestine like-new condition. I mean heck, when a truck only gets driven once in a blue moon to pull a ladder trailer to a fire a few blocks away.....and spends the rest of it's time in the garage being cared for & kept clean....

That truck is going to have to be a cash-purchase, because no bank is going to loan you that much green for a truck that old....even if it IS all-original and still pretty "new".

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

even with less than 8K miles, it is still an 18 year old truck. i dont know how it was kept, since there is no detail on the listing, but i would actually be concerned that it was not used enough. i think that were i asking that much, i would offer alot more detail on the listing . . . .

personally, i am surprised someone bid 40K$ for it already.

of course, what do i know . . . .maybe it is worth every penny . . . .

That is definitely low miles but as stated above if it had a pump on it the hours would be about triple what they would be on another truck with equvalent mileage. I wonder how much it was actually used and how many times they just pumped off the tank for water supply with the truck sitting there at high idle, still crazy low miles and I doubt there is any rust or scratches anywhere on it, its probably been sitting inside its whole life.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Any one catch this in the description: Class: Class 2 (6,001-10,000 lbs.)

I agree, if you are going to put an ad up on eBay, put some information to tempt people to call or bid, not just "Truck, low miles, buy it" - What if I find the truck at 12:30 in the morning and want to bid? I don't want to have to call a person for further details in the middle of the night. Whatever you think someone should know about it, that's what you put in the ad. Rule of thumb is if you need to know something as a buyer, then you as the seller should disclose the same information.

Anytime I see ads like this I think to myself "If he didn't put any effort into trying to sell it, why should I put any effort into buying it"

I guess its because I list anywhere from 4-10 cars a week on eBay and do this for a living as the Internet Sales dude at a classic car dealership, I know how much I take pride in my auctions because I know what the customer is looking for. I see stuff like this with only 4-5 pictures and minimal info, it boils my spaghetti.

thats one thing that irritates me is towns and fired departments selling off trucks with no miles and spending tax payer money to buy new things that will sit around collecting dust

That's not unusual, many fire departments try to stay one step ahead of a neighboring fire department. Each one has to outdo the others with a newer, bigger truck with all the

lights, sirens, bells and whistles. The firefighting equipment is the same (and secondary), it's the bling that is most important.

Another reason that departments do away with tractor trailer tankers is that they are too big and unwieldy to use on narrow country roads. Several straight tankers can operate

more efficiently than a TTT. And, as hard as it is may be for members of this forum to believe, there are many who cannot operate tractor trailers (me included) so that these

tankers will not respond to calls.

Some departments have bought tractors, stretched the frames, and made them into tankers. This can be a very dangerous practice if not done by someone who knows how to safely

build trucks. Botsford, CT bult a tanker on a used "CH" chassis; it appears that they took the time to correctly build a safe truck.

bulldogboy

thats one thing that irritates me is towns and fired departments selling off trucks with no miles and spending tax payer money to buy new things that will sit around collecting dust

And the new electronic crap has more to go wrong and cost more to maintain and repair.

The ISO provides a rating to every FD and municipality that determines your cost of fire insurance. No matter the condition the department loses points if the apparatus is too old. That's one reason why you see very nice low mileage rigs for sale.

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

That's not unusual, many fire departments try to stay one step ahead of a neighboring fire department. Each one has to outdo the others with a newer, bigger truck with all the

lights, sirens, bells and whistles. The firefighting equipment is the same (and secondary), it's the bling that is most important.

bulldogboy

That is very true - and the cost of the equipment these days is astronomical. But it doesn't matter to them - they get whatever they want.

And the taxpayers suffer.

Yup...because the first parts of the budget that gets "cut" if taxes aren't raised are the schools, police, and fire. The pet projects the politicians might have are NEVER underfunded....but the schools, police, and fire are going to be because they know the taxpayers are more likely to agree to tax increases for schools, police, and fire than they would be for that improvement project that will use taxpayer dollars to boost the value of the politician's rental properties.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!