C-600 hauls it's first load today, but has some new problems.

I finally got my 1964 C-600 Mack repaired enough this afternoon so that I could begin hauling the spoil away from the pond I am digging. The photo is of the very first load I have been able to haul & dump with it since my purchase of the truck back in September. I only had time to haul up four loads with it before it got too dark to fill it up with the excavator.

Unfortunately, after having dumped the last load of the day, it began running rough for several seconds and it then quit running and would not restart (it wouldnt fire at all). It has plenty of fuel in the tank but I suspect water in the fuel. I recall seeing a fuel filter housing mounted in the engine bay, is this something that water can be drained from? Will it be a major chore to get it running again if indeed it has sucked up some water? Any recommendations?

Also, the clutch doesnt engage until the clutch pedal has been completely released. Can the clutch be adjusted or will I need a new clutch?

The truck has what I believe is called a Triplex transmission (3-speed stick and a 5-speed stick to the right of that). I can barely notice any change of gear ratio between the 3 speeds. Is this typical? A lower gear ratio would be nice for initial take-off when loaded down in soft ground. All comments and recommendations are appreciated.

11-9-2012%2520001.JPG

Depending on how much water was in it,shouldn't be too hard to get running.Change filter and clean housing out good.Depending on the condition of your clutch,should be able to adjust it.If you are going to be working alot,you might want toconsider putting in a Quadraplex transmission.Chances are your C was a highway truck and has a little faster rears,the quad would give you a good lo hole.

Depending on how much water was in it,shouldn't be too hard to get running.Change filter and clean housing out good.Depending on the condition of your clutch,should be able to adjust it.If you are going to be working alot,you might want toconsider putting in a Quadraplex transmission.Chances are your C was a highway truck and has a little faster rears,the quad would give you a good lo hole.

I'm buying an old Motor's truck repair manual off of Ebay and I hope it will show me how to adjust the clutch. I'll do some searching here on the forum too for any clutch adjustment info. Other than not having a very low gear, my only other complaint is not having power steering. I may have arms like Popeye by the time this project is completed.

One more thing, the truck is lacking a vertical exhaust stack. In the above photo, you may be able to see the cloud of white exhaust coming from under the truck. Where can I find me a cheap exhaust stack to add to this truck?

I've never adjusted the clutch on a C.Only adjusting I've ever done on a B model clutch was adjusting the linkage.Pulled the shims out of the pressure plate on one B that was slipping,also,but that's a whole 'nuther story,and a job I'd rather not repeat..

I'd think you could find a good used pipe in a junkyard or dealer somewhere,only problem is most of the stuff you'll find nowadays is 5",you'll have to get an adapter if you go that route.

Try this site, can order on line at reasonable prices just get your ID/OD sizes and for not to much can have a decent exahust. http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/ryder/af/ryder/core/nav/srm/type/Browse/erm/programPage.do;jsessionid=8E14441E5D06F4A4094C471EEC7A1527?programId=176930&channelId=-10461

Robert

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

I always liked those Macks, did they put V-8's in those? I think years back a garbage co by me had one with a V-8

BULLHUSK

yes they did,Ernie.They made 208 C615's with the 864 V8.I have the remains(hood & one fender) of a wrecked one that was behind my Mack dealer years ago.There's another close by I've been trying to aquire for some time,also.

I always liked those Macks, did they put V-8's in those? I think years back a garbage co by me had one with a V-8

BULLHUSK

My dad had a 1965 Mack C-600 with the V8 and air-starter back in the mid 1980's. It was a single axle gravel truck with snow plow, and he had it painted red with black fenders. I havent seen the truck in nearly 20 years and don't know what became of it.

Good news, I got my truck running this morning. Turns out I filled-up the wrong fuel tank and ran the one tank empty! I realized my mistake when I was draining the fuel water/sediment bowl and noticed that the inlet line led back to the fuel tank that I had not put fuel in. The fuel that drained out of the bowl smelled like varnish and the tank smelled like it hadnt had fresh fuel in it since the Nixon administration! I opened the fuel tank cross-over valves and let the full tank drain some fuel into the empty tank, where upon I noticed that the cross-over line dribbled fuel. After several minutes of letting fuel flow from one tank to the other, I began pumping the primer pump and after 40 or 50 strokes, I attempted to start the truck. I began to get a lot of white exhaust but no fire, so a squirt of starting-fluid and she popped off and ran great once again. Now if the light rain stops falling today, I will attempt to adjust the clutch linkage.

If you ever need to prime it again oil based WD-40 sprayed in the intake will make it run until the fuel primes. Doesn't cause the potential harm that ether can. Just don't use the water based version!

Money, sex, and fire; everybody thinks everyone else is getting more than they are!

Good deal! Love those easy fixes! A couple of elbows and some clamps & painted 4" pipe shouldn't set you back too much,providing that the bracket on the frame (just behind the cab) and the hanger are still on the cab.If not,a local fabricator should be able to come up with a bracket of some sort.With that short wheelbase though, the box might be too close to the cab to mount a stack(hence the weedburner set-up).

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Good deal! Love those easy fixes! A couple of elbows and some clamps & painted 4" pipe shouldn't set you back too much,providing that the bracket on the frame (just behind the cab) and the hanger are still on the cab.If not,a local fabricator should be able to come up with a bracket of some sort.With that short wheelbase though, the box might be too close to the cab to mount a stack(hence the weedburner set-up).

I purchased exhaust components from Summit Racing and an exhaust stack through Ebay last night. I need to use a 45 degree elbow to sneek through between the dump box and the fuel tank and run the stack up alongside the cab rather than behind it. Even then it will be tight. I'll find out more when I assemble it next weekend.

Edited by Milaca

Mixing up fuel tanks is normal if you're just starting to use a truck.

My both R's have each one operatable tank, of coure I need to remember what of every time I want to start any of them.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Mixing up fuel tanks is normal if you're just starting to use a truck.

My both R's have each one operatable tank, of coure I need to remember what of every time I want to start any of them.

It appears that the only reason for not using the driver-side tank is that the crossover fuel line leaks. I will likely replace the crossover line and then be able to use both tanks...although with the high price of fuel, I can barely afford to fill one tank. I dont know how many gallons each holds, maybe 75 gallons? I suppose I could measure the tanks and calculate the volume but I prefer to guess. :)

yup high price of fuel. took a roadtrip 800+ miles in my B model this weekend, filled both tanks, a 50 and 40 twice or t least a few times in PA where fuel is at least 50 cents cheaper than price gouging Ny state. ouch. on a side note we run a rental yard for equipment and have an R600 ex Ryder truck that someone converted the driver tank to the wet tank for a trailer. everyone has been stealin fuel here lately and came in one morning to see the cap off the tank. must have suprised them to try to suck that hydraulic oil thru a hose haha.

• Like 2

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Likely has a 50 gal on drivers side, and 40 gal on passenger side(if they are like a typical B). The smaller tank on the passenger side gives it room for the exhaust to come up the cab corner. Maybe a C model has two 40's since the cab is moved forward???

I put another 40 gal on the drivers side to make room for my dual exhaust. I have a brand new muffler and heat shield, only ran one summer. Comes with long 90 turn out. Not sure it would fit under your dump bed?? Would love to see it go somewhere.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

My dad had a 1965 Mack C-600 with the V8 and air-starter back in the mid 1980's. It was a single axle gravel truck with snow plow, and he had it painted red with black fenders. I havent seen the truck in nearly 20 years and don't know what became of it.

I talked to a friend of mine yesterday about the 25yd C- Mack, He worked for the co. way back when and gave me some info about the truck. Well after two V-8 blow out's they put a 711 Mack motor in and the truck was sold soon after, he said with the cowboys that worked there, it was almost impossible to keep a motor in anything! Also he said the truck had a trans. (duplux) that you could not shift progressive you could only shift it into direct from low but could not down shift? ever hear of one of these? I know the Maxie's had the mud stick but this truck was before the Maxydyne engine trans combo

BULLHUSK