Bulldog Removal

farmer52

Some of you may not like what I am thinking of doing but...

I want to replace the chrome Bulldog with a gold Bulldog. The chrome is the correct one but I thought about a gold one since my MH is 100% Mack.

Now for the question...how in the blue blazes do I get the old one off? It has security torx screws (T25). I have the correct bit and using a battery powered driver. The screws will not loosen. I am afraid to use alot of torque for fear of breaking the dog's legs. I thought about removing the base and drilling out the screws but the screws holding the base on are also not coming loose.

Any suggestions other than "don't do it"?

P.S. I am checking on the base availability from my dealer but that still does not help since I can't remove the old base.

Thanks!!

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

Ken,

I don't see any problem in changing the Dog over to Gold. It's your Mack build it your way. Besides does it have an E7 or an EM7? If has an EM7 then your in good shape because it's got a Maxidyne.

As for the removal good luck. Things like that don't usually go in my favor.

Thanks, Josh :clock_logo:

Ken,

I don't see any problem in changing the Dog over to Gold. It's your Mack build it your way. Besides does it have an E7 or an EM7? If has an EM7 then your in good shape because it's got a Maxidyne.

As for the removal good luck. Things like that don't usually go in my favor.

Thanks, Josh :clock_logo:

Yes...EM7-300

Ken

yup, take bracket off, some good pb blaster for a few days and let it soak. brand new pair of vise grips helps to with those theft proof bolts. may even have to heat the head of the bolt a few times and let it cool so it works it way down in the threads but dont try to loosen it! everyone knows when you heat something it expands and you will probably pull the threads right out of the dog. just heat and cool a few times to let it expand and contract the bolt, let good, juice it up again and try it. usually works but i have broken many bolts off in an old dogs leg before and had to drill them out, never broke the leg off yet tho knock on wood. the older dogs like on the EQ's and stuff were the tits cause they had the studs and nuts.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Haha the only bulldog I ever had to remove was one my dad was saving for me when I was little. It was an an R model in our local scrapyard. How they got it off was they grabbed it with the big grapple machine and tore it off along with a big chunk of the hood :whistling:

But when my dad gave it to me, I just grabbed a cresent wrench and unskrewed the bolts and it came right off. I guess it just wasn't really that rusty haha.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

There is a special socket that has two carbide prongs that grip the theft proof screws for removal. The MH mount does not offer much clearance to get vice grips on the heads to get them out that way. Your best bet would be getting another mount, put the dog you want on it and mount it. Good Luck

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Your best bet would be getting another mount, put the dog you want on it and mount it.

But I can't get the mounting bolts loose either. banghead.gif The mounting bolts use encapulated nuts that are bonded in the cab. I will try Blaster but heat may be an issue. I don't want the fiberglas cab to go up in smoke.

Ken

Farmer

my 93 MH came with a gold bulldog... sworn affidavit from last owner who saw it being removed by a nefarious character... his co-worker with a Cat powered MH whose logic was... yellow engine = yellow dog, and the boss agreed!!!! :o:pat:

the captive nuts for the base... can they be viewed from behind by removing the dash top by the windshield??? or is it a box section..?

cannot offer you any other removal hints other than general practices, patience, gentle love taps and let lots of PB Blaster wick in..

I have yet to do what you are, put back a gold dog!!! so keep us appraised of how you get on..

BC Mack

I lubed it up (the Bulldog) tonight with PB Blaster. I will leave it (the Bulldog) soak over the weekend and try again next week. smoking.gif

Just for clarification...I am talking about the Bulldog! I am afraid the "lady" might break more than the Bulldog's leg and it might hurt.

Ken

I lubed it up (the Bulldog) tonight with PB Blaster. I will leave it (the Bulldog) soak over the weekend and try again next week. smoking.gif

Just for clarification...I am talking about the Bulldog! I am afraid the "lady" might break more than the Bulldog's leg and it might hurt.

She does have a mighty big tool- especially for a girl...

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

BTW where are you getting all those sweet emoticons? I'd like to have some of them.

Ben

yeah the dogs and bases can be a pain to get loose, as for a gold dog, well I put one on my 04 granite it was all Mack drivetrain but they didnt put gold on the granites then so I fixed a factory defect in my mind, the 85 I have now has an eaton trans so i am sticking with chrome till I get a good trtxl 1070 to put in it then Im goin gold dog on it too.

"Any Society that would give up a little LIBERTY to gain a little SECURITY will Deserve Neither and LOSE BOTH" -Benjamin Franklin

"If your gonna be STUPID, you gotta be TOUGH"

"You cant always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you need"

Some of you may not like what I am thinking of doing but...

I want to replace the chrome Bulldog with a gold Bulldog. The chrome is the correct one but I thought about a gold one since my MH is 100% Mack.

Any suggestions ?

thanks!!

just a thought...(Paul Van Scott)

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Watch EBay...

Doug - never saw a MH base on Fleabay but there is always a chance.

Ben - the MH uses a different mounting base then most other trucks (see pic).

I might just put my 1/2" impact wrench on the Bulldog screws and go for it. :angry: I will start with my HF POS and work my way up to the the BIG one! Something is going to give. giggle.gif

Afterall a chrome replacement "dog" is less then $50 on Fleabay.

post-3289-0-61063600-1351944846.jpg

Ken

Doug - never saw a MH base on Fleabay but there is always a chance.

Ben - the MH uses a different mounting base then most other trucks (see pic).

I might just put my 1/2" impact wrench on the Bulldog screws and go for it. :angry: I will start with my HF POS and work my way up to the the BIG one! Something is going to give. giggle.gif

Afterall a chrome replacement "dog" is less then $50 on Fleabay.

Oh I see. If you still end up needing one, I'd give them a call (1-800-304-6225) cuz they can get them. It's at least worth a shot if you can save a buck.

Ben