Don't know the year? Just pull a number out of your ass

looks more like a 67 or so, small letters on the hood, old stlye oil bath air cleaner and fuel tanks and looks like the narrower front axle to me.doubt its a 685 either, probably more like a R607 or 609 with a 711. could have a 237 tho, looks like one shifter, Matt

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

looks more like a 67 or so, small letters on the hood, old stlye oil bath air cleaner and fuel tanks and looks like the narrower front axle to me.doubt its a 685 either, probably more like a R607 or 609 with a 711. could have a 237 tho, looks like one shifter, Matt

I missed the small letters and the narrow axle. The tall intake got my attention, I see it has the 2 pipes but I'm not sure of what difference, if any, there is between that and the one used on the tip-turbine engines, appearance wise. I thought that style of fuel tank were used into the mid-70s

Jim

I say '70-'72 R685 because of the 5 speed,dark green METAL dash,small letters on hood,etc. "Good Title" doesn't always mean its for THAT truck! Although it looks fairly staight and unmolested,though! I think the bumper is a '76,but thats it!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I say '70-'72 R685 because of the 5 speed,dark green METAL dash,small letters on hood,etc. "Good Title" doesn't always mean its for THAT truck! Although it looks fairly staight and unmolested,though! I think the bumper is a '76,but thats it!

My thoughts on the bumper,too. I prefer that shade of green to others shades found in R and even the B models.

Jim

i thought that was the easiest way to drive an old b or r that wasnt registered? just change the door tag and plates and your ready to roll haha. my grandfather said back in the day they would take the plates off some of the dumptrucks in the winter and just run the tractors haulin coal. if they needed a dumptruck they would just switch the plates. he goes sometimes it would take halfway thru the summer to get all the plates back on the right truck again. was good when they ran all green b models. little tricky when they had a few diamond junk reos and fords mixed in the fleet hahaalso seen some old pics of pretty new dumptrucks sittin in the winter in the snow with no tires on them. times were tough back then. they would take the new tires off for the tractors for the winter driving as they didnt need the dumptrucks unless they were haulin logs. Matt

i thought that was the easiest way to drive an old b or r that wasnt registered? just change the door tag and plates and your ready to roll haha. my grandfather said back in the day they would take the plates off some of the dumptrucks in the winter and just run the tractors haulin coal. if they needed a dumptruck they would just switch the plates. he goes sometimes it would take halfway thru the summer to get all the plates back on the right truck again. was good when they ran all green b models. little tricky when they had a few diamond junk reos and fords mixed in the fleet hahaalso seen some old pics of pretty new dumptrucks sittin in the winter in the snow with no tires on them. times were tough back then. they would take the new tires off for the tractors for the winter driving as they didnt need the dumptrucks unless they were haulin logs. Matt

Doug had a plate on my U model when he had it and when Papa got it home he asked Doug if he wanted it back. Doug said No!!! That truck all ready for the road!!! He also had a registration sticker on the widsheild from his 65' B model.

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

did any notice the VIN listed for the truck?1976 would be about right ,only problem is this truck isn't a RS685LST.

I did notice that Mike,just forgot to mention it.Just didn't think the year matched the truck right off the bat!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

We had a local gravel hauler around here that would go so far as to switch doors on trucks (that used a rivited serial # plate) and windshields that carried the Illinois safety sticker on them when trucks would break down.Sounds like a lot of B.S. to me,but they did it!

yea i recall Doug the outlaw Fetterly having a registration sticker from his 65 B on a 70 something R model tractor last time i was up there course i have been known to swtich a few plates in my day. bought an old 53 Fruehauf flatbe trailer last fall and brought it home with two barely inflated tires and the plate off my snowmobile trailer on it with no air lines to the back and no lights whatsoever. haha

• Like 1

We never do stuff like that around here! LOL :whistling: Everything is by the book.Our state is too busy putting crooked politicians in jail to bother with us!!!!! :loldude:

yea i recall Doug the outlaw Fetterly having a registration sticker from his 65 B on a 70 something R model tractor last time i was up there course i have been known to swtich a few plates in my day. bought an old 53 Fruehauf flatbe trailer last fall and brought it home with two barely inflated tires and the plate off my snowmobile trailer on it with no air lines to the back and no lights whatsoever. haha

Yep, antuiqe plates on some trucks and he drove them every day. He has a 65 B model registration a a few of them trucks up there.

maybe that single axle was Re-cabbed backwards and someone put a steel dash on a 78? haha. i have seen it done. also saw a nice all orange Dm with a steel box on it today with a black insert in the hood and i know it was newer but had the old small letters on the front. gonna try to get a pic of it tomorrow. its workin in town, they are tearing all the old cobblestones out of downtown and there is the old DM with steel box workin. god forbid those Peterworth guys put any broken concrete or cobblestones in their shiny trucks haha Matt

http://www.truckpape...x?OHID=3617147

Heres one. Its definetly not a 78'.

Would Uncle MOE AZAB mislead you ......

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

was there a certain year they swtiched from the bendix dual air horn on the r models to the single bugle? or was either an option like the b models? was also wonderin when the door dog started and ended? also when did they swtich from the channel iron bumper on the older r models to the flat ones? some 60's r models also had the channel iron one with flat diamond plate on top also. kinda like a little extended bumper. seen alot of variations, like the tow loops that were cast into the front spring hanger and other had different hangers with regular tow hooks and holes in bumper for them. Matt

was there a certain year they swtiched from the bendix dual air horn on the r models to the single bugle? or was either an option like the b models? was also wonderin when the door dog started and ended? also when did they swtich from the channel iron bumper on the older r models to the flat ones? some 60's r models also had the channel iron one with flat diamond plate on top also. kinda like a little extended bumper. seen alot of variations, like the tow loops that were cast into the front spring hanger and other had different hangers with regular tow hooks and holes in bumper for them. Matt

I was wondering about the horns too, because my U model has the dual air horns.