Don't know the year? Just pull a number out of your ass

I think the "door dog" started with 1st U's & R's and ended with the start of the passenger door washer bottle,if I remember right (around '77-'78).Early MB's and RS/RL & FL/FS used B series side dogs first before switching to the "half dogs".Bendix must have lost the contract for their dual trumpet "ZephAIRtone" in the mid '80's (replaced by the Hadley version).Single Grovers were an available option since the '50's that I know of. The "deep" bumpers started showing up around '76 ( on R's,U's F's but earlier on the Cruise-Liner) & round fuel tanks as standard equipment had to be around '78.The bumper/tow hook arrangements were many, as you say Matt. I had the channel bumper (std.) on my '90 RD.I could have gotten the deep bumper,but I thought I'd let the CAT's push the gravel,seeing I brought it there!! :loldude:

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I have too,Matt.They always seemed to have an extended version of the bumper.Personally,I like the extended bumper better (for dump work).It meant the fiberglass was further away! (less damage)

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I think the "door dog" started with 1st U's & R's and ended with the start of the passenger door washer bottle,if I remember right (around '77-'78).Early MB's and RS/RL & FL/FS used B series side dogs first before switching to the "half dogs".Bendix must have lost the contract for their dual trumpet "ZephAIRtone" in the mid '80's (replaced by the Hadley version).Single Grovers were an available option since the '50's that I know of. The "deep" bumpers started showing up around '76 ( on R's,U's F's but earlier on the Cruise-Liner) & round fuel tanks as standard equipment had to be around '78.The bumper/tow hook arrangements were many, as you say Matt. I had the channel bumper (std.) on my '90 RD.I could have gotten the deep bumper,but I thought I'd let the CAT's push the gravel,seeing I brought it there!! :loldude:

I came close to having a nervous breakdown the first time I went looking for it when I started at Shuster's. I had never seen that before, it looks as if your just pouring the fluid into the bottom of the door.

Jim

I have too,Matt.They always seemed to have an extended version of the bumper.Personally,I like the extended bumper better (for dump work).It meant the fiberglass was further away! (less damage)

The truck in my avatar had the extende bumper and a grill guard. This is a lousy phonecam shot, but it was really a beautiful tractor.

212.gif?t=1241810463

• Like 1

Jim

wow, thats another version of the R model bumper? looks like a modern R model bumper with a top plate on it. the ones i have seen were the old square channel style bumpers from the late 60's with the flat diamond plate on top. i came across a brand new R model bumper from a plow shop. (they threw in jumk pile when the truck was new to put a plow frame on) it has the holes for you to put the chain on the tow hooks but had the holes to mount the bumper straight up and down. maybe it came off a DM? does not have the triangle bolt pattern like most R models. i was gonna weld up the holes and redrill it to fit my 66 R model as the original bumper is junk. also the channel on this one is deeper and the original.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I had a 76 R685, and a 77 R686. The 76 had the dogs, the 77 did not and neither truck had been painted on at the time, and both were known original.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Wow,good thing truth in advertising laws doesn't apply to truck paper ads or this guy would be in the pokey for sure.300 hp 237 engine???,18,000 lb front axle and 38,000lb.rear end?????Yep,sure.

How about the 1978 steel dash cab, and old style front spokes? I like the 38,000lb single rear myself.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The R600 at the top of this thread looks to me like B4 1972 say. I have to be careful because in Australia we were about 6 to 12 months behind the USA in what was available, and we did'nt have all options. But the old style spoke, small letters MACK and the small grab handle all point to about pre 72 in my opinion. Bearing in mind that anything can be changed or modified, i.e. the bumper in my opinion is post 75/76 clearly not the bumper for an R that looks like this one. In saying that, those smaller grab handles are'nt easy to fit to a cab that was built with the longer grab handle. The chassis # might be the real indicator, the number looks like an early 70's number. However the truck does'nt look like an RS600 to me. Then again it could've had a rail change. so going on appearances I say a pre 72 R600.

In regards to the 1/2 Dogs on the doors, In Australia we did'nt see them till about 1968. These trucks that hit the road in 1968 could've been built 12 months earlier.

These are my observations.