Due to us being behind the US in emission standards here in oz the 685 mp10 and 535 mp8 are SCR only.So unfortunately I dont think you'll be seeing a 685 there any time soon. Having just returned from the US I was impressed by Macungie and Hagerstown plants. Can see no reason why you can't put a mp10 in a highway truck over there or a decent bed on a Titan. Not politics I hope.

Politics is probably the key. As I said it is not rocket science v#$%o. I think with a few simple additions at Mack they would outsell

V---- in the US. V---- get over it, you outsell Mack almost every where else. Take the shackles of of Mack product development and let the competion begin. :clock_logo:

• Like 1

Mack has made some good attempts to gain sales but only in the fleet markets. A moder day superliner would be the ticket... just like a some of the retro cars we see today camero, charger etc..I ave said it for years that mack needs a large truck for the otr and HD market. the Titan is a flop in my opinion. To big of a truck for a standard big hp OTR...just look at price tag. oh and no sleeper options? FAIL!

Mack just needs to bring out a long flat hood big 500-600HP truck that can fit in with the crowd. start there and build from it. Bigger is not always better.

Mack has made some good attempts to gain sales but only in the fleet markets. A moder day superliner would be the ticket... just like a some of the retro cars we see today camero, charger etc..I ave said it for years that mack needs a large truck for the otr and HD market. the Titan is a flop in my opinion. To big of a truck for a standard big hp OTR...just look at price tag. oh and no sleeper options? FAIL!

Mack just needs to bring out a long flat hood big 500-600HP truck that can fit in with the crowd. start there and build from it. Bigger is not always better.

Gotta have a hood! Not one o' them there slippery truck things

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

it does have a hood if you see one next to a w900 or a 389 pete the paccar trucks look like toys. the problem is they dont put them on the lots. i live up here in vermont and the dealers around me mcdevitt, vermont mack, or albany mack have yet to stock a mack titan that would be a tri or quad axle log truck. albany mack in albany ny should have 2 or 3 ready to go . they sit only 40 miles from a big paper mill in glens falls ny. it just doesnt make sense to me. heck they dont even stock a loaded out granite with the 505 for a log chassis. the same thing goes for vermont mack and mcdevitt they dont stock mack log truck chassis. if you call mcdevitt looking for a log truck they they tell you to buy a western star. its frustrating

it does have a hood if you see one next to a w900 or a 389 pete the paccar trucks look like toys. the problem is they dont put them on the lots. i live up here in vermont and the dealers around me mcdevitt, vermont mack, or albany mack have yet to stock a mack titan that would be a tri or quad axle log truck. albany mack in albany ny should have 2 or 3 ready to go . they sit only 40 miles from a big paper mill in glens falls ny. it just doesnt make sense to me. heck they dont even stock a loaded out granite with the 505 for a log chassis. the same thing goes for vermont mack and mcdevitt they dont stock mack log truck chassis. if you call mcdevitt looking for a log truck they they tell you to buy a western star. its frustrating

If I were Mack or Volvo and I heard that I would flip shit. Why sit idly by watching the competition make money when you could be offering a product to compete?

I want to know who is holding back Mack. Is it Volvo or Mack management? I would hazard a guess that its Volvo, I imagine its a combination of arrogance and cold corporate culture. The Titan is not a bad truck, its been a workhorse in Australia and other RHD country's for years. But how they released it in the US was brain dead. I understand they are trying to synchronize the product lines to cut down engineering and manufacturing costs. But they could have done a much better job. A Superliner would have been the ticket. Why? Because everyone knows what a Superliner is! It is an already known truck and has a great reputation. Very few people knew the Titan ever existed for over a decade in Australia before it was introduced in North America. So to many its a brand new unproven product. And what is worse is the asinine decision to never make mention of the Titans history outside of North America. They should have had pictures of the Titan working down under pulling road trains and mining road trains hauling 200+ tons of raw material. Go to Drake Trailers website and they have a picture of Three titans pulling a hydraulic trailer: http://www.draketrailers.com/ . Mack should have shown that the Titan has been around the block a few times and its design isn't green behind the ears. Big BIG mistake.

Mack made a few brain dead mistakes and I want to know who was stupid enough to make them:

-Releasing the Titan with no sleeper options and giving no history of the design

-No MP10 options for the Pinnacle line

-Renaming both the Vision and the CH to Pinnacle, WTF!

I do think that the Titan release was a bad idea, not bad in the sense that they should have never released it but bad in the sense that it feels like a design stuck in limbo. Its too damn big for the highway, has no sleeper option and is the only Mack truck with an MP10. Where does it fit in besides a portion the really heavy duty market?

Here is what I would have done if I were a Mack big shot:

-The CH/CL be merged into one product, the new Superliner. Give it a full range of specs: sleepers, MP8/MP10, heavy frames, Axle forward and back, up to 20/23K front, and rears up to 65k/70k, tri-drive and even euro style planetary axles.

-Sneak a small sleeper option or two on the granite, for those who need a small sleeper on their vocational truck. (how hard can that be to engineer?)

-Put an MP10 into the Vision and give it some special order heavy haul options such as double frames, 20k fronts and rears up to 52k and possibly euro planetary axles beyond that.

-Bring over the Titan only after the new Superliner and Vision prove themselves in terms of sales. Then Give it sleeper options and super heavy duty axle options to top off the Mack line.

-If there are enough resources, bring over the Metroliner or make a short (108" bbc or less) Granite and put a small Cummins in there (isb/isc/isl/ng). Offer it as a light vocational or pick up and delivery truck. 20k front, 46/52 rears max. Give Paccar some competition in the premium class 6/7 market (Pete 330/340, Kenworth T300 series.) Also make sure it has the full range of sleeper options as well as an extended cab for a rear bench seat or even a 4 door crew cab. Would be a great expediter strait truck.

So now you have a line of trucks that makes sense:

Granite - universal vocational truck, handles any job thrown at it (dump, mixer, block, roll-off, trash, crane, twin steer etc.)

Superliner - Covers everything from premium highway to heavy haul as well as vocational, a swiss army knife (just like the original Superliner.)

Vision - Versatile aerodynamic truck for Regional/Highway/City and heavy haul.

Titan - Handles the really big jobs such as cost effective off highway dump, heavy haul, super haul, logging and oil field. big axles to 110+k and steer axles over 23k. For GVW's well over 100k and GCW's well over 200k. (a modern LR/M replacement)

Metroliner - Small truck for those who don't need big engines, high ground clearance and extra heavy duty options (city/beverage tractor, small dumps, roll off, small mixer, roll back tow truck, light wrecker, box truck, flat bed, etc)

Terrapro - stays the same, it already does what it needs to do, nuff said.

Just look at how Kenworth covers everything from class 5 through class 8 as well as their super heavy duty and highly configurable C500. they even offer small class 6&7 cabovers. Hell they even offer three different aerodynamic models.

Mack has two highway trucks with no big power options, one aerodynamic and one axle forward. A great vocational offering and an excellent LCF offering. And a heavy haul truck that is too big with no sleeper option. Its all screwy.

• Like 1

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

I was just at our local Mack dealer spending more money, so I asked them about the Titan and why they don't have one. He said they had one and it sold and another is coming. So I asked why no sleepers on a Titan, and he said you can get what you want for a sleeper through their custom shop. So you can get one. Now if this one will make money instead of spending it, maybe I could afford one.

• 3 weeks later...

I think a big part of the problem with most ALL of the manufacturers is the lack of understanding what the people that use the product really need. Volvo and Pacar seem to base their decisions on Euro trends, not the diverse markets in North America. Maybe not depending on computer projections and models and going out to job sites, truck stops and people are actually in the business would put the product we want on the street. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Hi, that sleeper looks more like 42 inch? the triples are an interesting ride. cant do much movement with the steering wheel and the third sways a bit. there 173 feet long and get lots of freight moved through out the north west quickly. this truck averaged 1.47 kms to 1 litre of fuel so thats 3.6 mpg and this one has that ad blue stuff that is added into the system for emissions and only went back with 2 trailers the worst I have seen fuel wise is just under 1 litre of fuel per km so this did quite well on fuel.

Grant

I think a big part of the problem with most ALL of the manufacturers is the lack of understanding what the people that use the product really need. Volvo and Pacar seem to base their decisions on Euro trends, not the diverse markets in North America. Maybe not depending on computer projections and models and going out to job sites, truck stops and people are actually in the business would put the product we want on the street. Paul

You are 100% correct, here's proof:

Screen_shot_2011-02-07_at_7.48.49_PM__43423_zoom.png

Jim