Triplex in a N61

Wow....that's cool. Didn't think both handles were air shifted? Very unique set up. Bet you had to be very "ginger" with it to get it to shift smoothly? Wonder how much "feel" you have in the controls?

Wonder if you could bolt that onto any Triplex? If it still worked right, wonder if you could transplant it into a B Model or something like that. Make up a console to hold the controls. That would be really different!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

That is simply awesome. Goes to show you there was plenty of interesting truck technology way back when. I like how you have to wait for the neutral light before letting go of the clutch. I would assume if the light blew it would leave the driver hanging with his foot on the clutch for quite some time before they decided to let go and see what happens. They should have reversed the logic and designed it so the light goes out when in neutral.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Here's a pic of the whole truck.I bought it out of a junkyard in IL that was being crushed out back in '95.40 acres of nothing but trucks,teens to the '70's,lotta neat stuff was crushed.Anyway,the N61 had 1966 plates and was showing 381k.It had been there a long time.never could get any of the wheels to roll,steering column is froze tight.It'd take a fortune to restore,but I'd never seen another in person at the time and couldn't let it go away forever.post-61-0-85746000-1333578337_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I know Aetna had an office next to my buddies machine shop for years. It closed some time ago and the little building torn down. I remember the sign. Looks like sign says Warren, Ohio which is about 45 minutes east of me.

Would be neat to tinker with. Even if to not restore, but just make it run again.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Nice Mike, was there any U models in that junkyard that N model came out of?

There was some of everything, a chain drive AC,E models,A models,L models,H models,G models,F models,B models,U models,R models.i need to find someone that has pictures as it was a once in a lifetime deal.All my film got ruined,unfortunately.Had I been a rich man I would have bought them all,but I was only able to save a few,this N61,a G753,a B20,a EGU,and 2 truck loads of misc.parts.

Nice Mike, was there any U models in that junkyard that N model came out of?

All crushed flatter than day old beer in the sun.

Uncle Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

There was some of everything, a chain drive AC,E models,A models,L models,H models,G models,F models,B models,U models,R models.i need to find someone that has pictures as it was a once in a lifetime deal.All my film got ruined,unfortunately.Had I been a rich man I would have bought them all,but I was only able to save a few,this N61,a G753,a B20,a EGU,and 2 truck loads of misc.parts.

Its not your falt Mike, but im seriously ready to cry, im not kidding. Do you remember if they were early U's with oil bath breathers, or younger ones like mine. Also whats your estimate on how many were there? sob sob sniffle sniffle. :icon_bs::blush::icon_bs::blush::thumbsdown:

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Thanks for posting those photos,Mike.When we talked about that truck on the phone,I had a hard time imagining the set-up.That certainly is a rare one.Tough to float the gears in on that one,I bet! And thanks Green Dash for posting the brochure link.You just can't get this kind of knowledge anywhere else but BMT,can you? Makes me want to turn my C-8000 FORD into an N,even if its only cosmetically!

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

Hyrdo-pnumatic clutch??? Was that an air operated hydraulic clutch??? Or a straight air clutch???

Have never seen or even heard of a lever operated air shift system before..Sure would like to look one over as it looks like the clutch could be plumbed into the shift lever with no problem..

I have driven a pusher type school bus with a straight air clutch, took a while to get used to but worked fine.. Just do NOT park it in gear!! This was prior to spring lock brakes so if the air leaked down you were on the move when it started!!

Brocky

Brocky