This is our 1956 Mack B60T project truck. It has a 130HP Mack-Scania END-475 diesel with a Duplex twin-stick in it. We bought it at our local salvage yard. Apperently, somebody was in the process of restoring it, when his son backed another truck into it, and they gave up on the project. So, it is missing some stuff, but what is there is very nice and not rusty at all.

When we got it in the shop, we started it, and found out the rack was stuck from sitting. Luckily, we before even tried to start it, we had taken the air intake pipe off, and had a piece of ceramic tile handy. We took the Injector pump off, and broke the rack loose and let it soak for a while. We put it back on, and it now runs just fine.

The next thing is the brakes. Because it was in the junkyard, one of the air tanks got smashed by the fork machine they moved it with. It may still hold air, but we need to go over it to make sure. Also, a friend told us to change the brake cylinders to "Maxi" ones which apperently have springs in them to hold the brakes locked if no air pressure is in them.

Then comes the body. What's missing are the filler panels between the hood and the fenders, one headlight panel, the grille shell and grille, the windshield, and all the lights and trim. What is there is mostly in primer, and there is no rust at all. We are trying to get a parts truck to have all the parts we need. We're looking for a B model thats rusty, yet complete, so we can take parts off at our liesure, not spend a whole lot of money, and also see how things fit together.

All in all, this is a great father-and-son project for us. We hope for it to be done in time for us to drive it to Allentown this June. Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated. :D

post-10909-0-08376900-1331248223_thumb.j

post-10909-0-19247200-1331248256_thumb.j

This is what it's going to look like:

post-10909-0-06232900-1331248685_thumb.j

Edited by JumperAndSon
  • Like 1
post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

nice truck!!! im sure someone on here can find you some parts or help ya. i would but i dont dont know much about b models. i know a little bit but not alot about em. thats cool that its a grandpa and grandson project, because thats what my u model project is. im 12 years old and have loved macks since i was a baby. so my grandpa bought me this u model for christmas 2 years ago and we are restoring it. we also put a single axle rear in it.

• Like 1

tumblr_l9s7ezxJxI1qcke4q.jpg

Nice project (s) the B looks solid. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

nice truck!!! im sure someone on here can find you some parts or help ya. i would but i dont dont know much about b models. i know a little bit but not alot about em. thats cool that its a grandpa and grandson project, because thats what my u model project is. im 12 years old and have loved macks since i was a baby. so my grandpa bought me this u model for christmas 2 years ago and we are restoring it. we also put a single axle rear in it.

Yours is cool too. You should register it as 26,000GVW or less so you can drive it when you're 16. Our truck has a twin-stick transmission, so it will be cool for me to be one of the few teenagers that can drive one. By the way, it's actually my Dad and I doing ours, not my Pap. Good luck on you project, maybe we'll se you at a show someday.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

Welcome to the forum. Your B60 looks like a great project. I have a parts truck that might work for you. Where are you located? I'm southeastern PA near Reading. Never heard of Delmont. If you are close you could come and look at the truck. I also have some front end parts that could be bought by the piece(radiator shell, fender filler panels...).

Mike

610 764 8283

post-7810-0-37244000-1331345092_thumb.jp