New member, and a few questions.

Hello all,

I just acquired my first Mack a few weeks ago. Its a 1964 B53, formerly a mixer. Over all in pretty restorable shape, but has a fair bit of rust, having spent its life in upstate NY.

On to the questions. Its an air start, which seems like quite a hassle. Will a new 12v. starter bolt on in its place, and where can I find one?

Next, while it starts and runs well, the oil pressure gauge doesn't come up. I assume its a mechanical gauge? Where does the line connect to the block? I assume this is the END-673.

Pics to come soon!

Thanks!

Kevin

Hello all,

I just acquired my first Mack a few weeks ago. Its a 1964 B53, formerly a mixer. Over all in pretty restorable shape, but has a fair bit of rust, having spent its life in upstate NY.

On to the questions. Its an air start, which seems like quite a hassle. Will a new 12v. starter bolt on in its place, and where can I find one?

Next, while it starts and runs well, the oil pressure gauge doesn't come up. I assume its a mechanical gauge? Where does the line connect to the block? I assume this is the END-673.

Pics to come soon!

Thanks!

Kevin

Welcome Kevin,

As for the 12 volt starter. You can use a 12 volt if you have changed out and omitted the series paralell switch from under the seat. And you can find a thread on this site talking about these questions in the electrical section. A heavy duty truck electrical company can help you find the starter like a Delco M42 etc. is one of the examples. On the END 673 engines, the oil pressure line goes to the pressure block on the drivers side of the engine block. This is under the big oil filter where the oil lines enter the block. Someone else will soon try and steer you in the direction you will want to go. The WIKI SECTION on this site will further help you if you need it.

Hope I helped some.

mike

Your oil pressure line could be pinched off or plugged,seen both happen.If you truck has always been air start,you'll just have to replace starter and wire it up,there will be no series parallel switch to eliminate since it was air to begin with.

I have a pair of '64 B53's myself,B53S1893 & 1894.Good luck with yours.

Hi B53. Welcome aboard! I have been a member of the site for a while and the guys on here are great. Tons of info.

Is Callahan the company that worked out of the Auburn, NY area? I was born there (many moons ago, well not too many) and I think I remember seeing this companies Dump and Mixer trucks.

welcome to the site,,that truck dousnt look bad at all,,,rather than change all your starter setup,,mount a small air compresser pump,on a plate,and a small mower engine to push the pump,,that way u got all the air you need if you run out...would be allot cheaper,than changing everything...choice is yours..good luck.bob

Thanks for all the kind words! And Callahan concrete was a big outfit here for many years.

In regards to the air starter, a full tank of air, approx 50gallons at 120 psi, will turn the engine over for only 2-3 seconds. Is that normal?

that sound like your starter is wore out,,should crank a little longer,the paddles may be woreout,,and a new starter is around $800 should get like 15 seconds,but that should be plenty,you dont get much more,,but it spins real fast,,gotta shoot a little eather in it,when its cold,,will fire right up,in around 2 seconds,,when mine starts,i still have 90 pounds left,i put all new parts in mine,and it holds air for months,,they are a good system,,especially if your not going to drive it much,,dont have to mess with all those battery,s and electric parts,,but they can be a real nightmare if you get a little leak in the system,that you cant find..bob

Welcome. I'd soak the starter unit in kerosene or diesel. After years of use the vanes (paddles) gum up. What did you do with the mixer unit? My mixer was parked in the late 60's early 70's with a full load.... Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The quest continues...............

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE