Got my tit in the wringer again today:

Rob

I get a call from a gentleman this afternoon and he is liquidating his father's estate and complying with the will in which I was named in, (for some reason). I don't immediately recognize the caller's name but when he tells me his deceased father's name, I immediately recoginize him and am saddened with news of the passing. His father is the person that gave the B67 to me. The reason for the call is the 1988 R model tractor that was a replacement for the B67 has specifically been left to me. Not having much to do in the shop today I grabbed up my shop helper, drove up, conversed for a bit, then drove the tractor home.

This runs like a top but is underpowered bobtail. I think it needs a turbo replaced due to smoke and lack of power. Seems like it hasn't seen a shot of grease in eons either. Something seems to be going bad in the 10 speed Mack trans also. It is damned hard to pull out of 7th, and 8th gear on the upshift but the power band is smooth. My helper was driving almost 75 mph to keep up with me when I had the speedo pegged on 55 mph. I know the truck was built with a Mack five speed and he had the 10 speed installed. It is a triple countershaft trans but must be a newer series than my old ones as it looks different and has casting letters denoting a "wet clutch". Never have seen something like this before but I'll prolly get a look at the guts to see what is up. The shift pattern is tight and the shift handle is solid through the power band. A very quiet truck with rear taperleaf springs, and air ride cab that bounces like a basketball, (needs shocks). Hell this thing rides so good I'm going to follow Trent's lead and call Phil for parts to convert one of mine.

Here are some photos.

Rob

post-78-0-36803400-1315704024_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-90096000-1315704038_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-26006100-1315704050_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-11195200-1315704062_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-27823700-1315704071_thumb.jpg

post-78-0-22488900-1315704081_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Un fortunate that the gentleman has passed away. BUT, amazing that he made sure you got that truck.

At least momma can't say much as you paid nothing for it.

looks like the $$$ not spent on the truck will have to be spent to add on to the shop

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

Nice gift. Something strange with the trans. The five speed would have been a T2050 (.6 OD) and the ten speed T2010 (.78 OT) should be slower, not faster.

I say it looks like a Mack trans but I can't be certain. It does have an eight bolt PTO on the left side, and a six bolt cover on the right side. There are definately 10 gears as sixth gear is to the seat and down just after you pull the range selector up, and it has three countershafts.

The trans is dirty and can't be investigated for numbers until it is cleaned. The truck was used for private low boy hauling, and farm harvest. I also don't see any rust as it's always been stored inside.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Nice looking ride Rob! My dump truck is an 86, has the air bags under the cab. They were out when i bought it, put new ones under it and didnt adjust them right the first time. That thing bounced so bad and was so squishy, I couldnt even hold on to shifter to shift. I adjusted it so they are pretty stiff now and all goes better. That valve is kinda tricky to get adjusted properly. Good Luck with new project,,,,randyp

I say it looks like a Mack trans but I can't be certain. It does have an eight bolt PTO on the left side, and a six bolt cover on the right side. There are definately 10 gears as sixth gear is to the seat and down just after you pull the range selector up, and it has three countershafts.

The trans is dirty and can't be investigated for numbers until it is cleaned. The truck was used for private low boy hauling, and farm harvest. I also don't see any rust as it's always been stored inside.

Rob

I drove an International H.H.Moore had for one trip and it just didn't seem to shift right at first. It had a 9 speed in it, and I never bothered to look at the shift pattern on the dash sticker because I already knew everything. Then I happened to glance at it by accident, and what do you know- this transmission was altogether different than any 9 speed i'd ever driven, it had 4 in the low side and 5 in the high side, exactly opposite of all the 9 speeds i'd driven before. Never knew they made such an animal before then. So, even being as smart as i'm is, I still learn something new every now and then.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I drove an International H.H.Moore had for one trip and it just didn't seem to shift right at first. It had a 9 speed in it, and I never bothered to look at the shift pattern on the dash sticker because I already knew everything. Then I happened to glance at it by accident, and what do you know- this transmission was altogether different than any 9 speed i'd ever driven, it had 4 in the low side and 5 in the high side, exactly opposite of all the 9 speeds i'd driven before. Never knew they made such an animal before then. So, even being as smart as i'm is, I still learn something new every now and then.

The sticker on the dash still denoted a five speed "Maxitorque" transmission pattern. When I first took off I tried shifting like a nine speed but the spread was much too wide for this. Quickly grabbing what I assumed would be sixth, (it was) the gear selection was much more in line with expectations.

I am dissapointed to discover you don't know everything. I've always looked up to you for knowlege abundance and now feel the bottom has dropped out of my world.

Rob

Nice unit, I'm curious about the tranny, keep us posted. How exactly do you adjust the cab air ride valve? I got the new bags for mine and haven't put them in yet. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The sticker on the dash still denoted a five speed "Maxitorque" transmission pattern. When I first took off I tried shifting like a nine speed but the spread was much too wide for this. Quickly grabbing what I assumed would be sixth, (it was) the gear selection was much more in line with expectations.

I am dissapointed to discover you don't know everything. I've always looked up to you for knowlege abundance and now feel the bottom has dropped out of my world.

Rob

That is a nice lookin UNIT. Looks like tha garage space has finally gotten too full with no room to walk around. Tom does know everything. He just likes to test you, to see if you are still in tha game.

mike

That is a nice lookin UNIT. Looks like tha garage space has finally gotten too full with no room to walk around. Tom does know everything. He just likes to test you, to see if you are still in tha game.

mike

So sorry to disappoint you both. See my fuel filter post to see just how little I know.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Nice lil tractor. Sure you'll find all kinds of uses for it!

Only thing anyone ever left me was a '55 Rolls Royce back in the early ninties. I knew the history of the car and it was going to be quite the project. I auctioned it off when they sold the property. Woulda been cool, but back then I had even less room to keep stuff.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Nice unit, I'm curious about the tranny, keep us posted. How exactly do you adjust the cab air ride valve? I got the new bags for mine and haven't put them in yet. Paul

Paul, the first time I attempted it, my ignorant adjusting caused me to have to go back to mack and buy a new replacement air valve because the way I had it, when truck was shut down and all air bled off overnight, cab sagged down so much that rod overextended air valve and actually snapped it off. The adjusting rod from bottom of cab to air valve is threaded. This time I had all air bled, adjusted rod with threads until it had air valve extended to its max point without overextending, then tightened it all in there. Most likely I need to replace the 2 small shocks on it also, cause I think they are completely shot and not helping much. when I start truck now, it hits bout 50 psi on air pressure and cab starts to rise. Heh, if you dont get it stiff enough, its like riding a roller coaster every time you shift. There are prolly a lot more on here that know more bout it than me, but thats the way i went bout it. i really dont think cabs are posed to sag much as mine when no air pressure, but, like I said, my 2 lil shocks under there may not be doing their part. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes. randyp

Scraped off some of the dried "goo" on the left side of the transmission and it is stampedT2100. It also has a dry clutch but the aluminum casting has raised letters stating to use ATF as the fluid for one of these things. The round, raised boss would be bored and threaded with a plug if it were a wet clutch.

Found a busted tube on the CAC and several tubes that are bent shut. Looks like impact from following a tractor or combine too closely during harvest. The radiator core while complete, is weak although it doesn't leak. The engine really smokes black when accelerating and shifting gears and makes almost the same power as my 58 B61 with a 170hp engine, LOL.

Also discovered the rears are 4.17's and it's on 11RX22.5 radial rubber.

Rob

I drove a 9 like that. It was definatley odd. I thik there are 3 different 9 speeds out there.

Paul, the first time I attempted it, my ignorant adjusting caused me to have to go back to mack and buy a new replacement air valve because the way I had it, when truck was shut down and all air bled off overnight, cab sagged down so much that rod overextended air valve and actually snapped it off. The adjusting rod from bottom of cab to air valve is threaded. This time I had all air bled, adjusted rod with threads until it had air valve extended to its max point without overextending, then tightened it all in there. Most likely I need to replace the 2 small shocks on it also, cause I think they are completely shot and not helping much. when I start truck now, it hits bout 50 psi on air pressure and cab starts to rise. Heh, if you dont get it stiff enough, its like riding a roller coaster every time you shift. There are prolly a lot more on here that know more bout it than me, but thats the way i went bout it. i really dont think cabs are posed to sag much as mine when no air pressure, but, like I said, my 2 lil shocks under there may not be doing their part. Good Luck, and let me know how it goes. randyp

I'll be doing the bags at the end of the month when I'm off again. Mine beleeds completly down when it sits and both bagsleak from dry rot. I'll let ypu know how it goes. Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Nice lil tractor. Sure you'll find all kinds of uses for it!

Only thing anyone ever left me was a '55 Rolls Royce back in the early ninties. I knew the history of the car and it was going to be quite the project. I auctioned it off when they sold the property. Woulda been cool, but back then I had even less room to keep stuff.

Was that a "ghost", or "cloud"? I've worked on both through the years. Quite impressive in the fit and finish of those cars.

Rob

rolls3.jpg

(dam, look at that THICK, DARK hair LOL!!!!!)

Readers digest version. Retired friend bought car in Florida(late 80's). Blown motor, apparent issue with recent rebuild, wrist pin locked up and threw piston out the side of block(6cyl). Three of us run down and haul it home. Fellow in picture is another friend where we stayed overnight in Stewart, Fla.

Friend gets motor back in one piece and running. He then burns up rearend due to lack of grease. With some finesse, I bolt a 9" ford under it and get it back to driveable(sorta). You don't want to know what it would have cost to buy another Rolls gearset. It has a early Ford banjo style housing that bolts together. It had crazy mechanical brake linkage all hooked up around it. No way to make it work with the 9"(well, at least at that time in my life).

Friend takes ill and passes. He left the car to me(about 1994).

Motor ran, and likely enough to move it around, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. Body was rough underneath. Everything was crusty/rusty. Brakes were nill and all the gobbly gook mechanical crap I had to leave off the rear to make the Ford axle work. Heater core started leaking. It was RH steering, leather interior was "ok". I had the original Rolls manual(really cool piece), but had to give it up to buyer(dammit-shoulda kept my mouth shut--note to self).

I kept a copy of the original title with my name on it. Just a lil keepsake. I also have a Franklin mint model too. Looking back, it would have been really cool to have it now, but 20 yrs have come/gone and all the work/money it would have taken to make it right.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

rolls3.jpg

(dam, look at that THICK, DARK hair LOL!!!!!)

Readers digest version. Retired friend bought car in Florida(late 80's). Blown motor, apparent issue with recent rebuild, wrist pin locked up and threw piston out the side of block(6cyl). Three of us run down and haul it home. Fellow in picture is another friend where we stayed overnight in Stewart, Fla.

Friend gets motor back in one piece and running. He then burns up rearend due to lack of grease. With some finesse, I bolt a 9" ford under it and get it back to driveable(sorta). You don't want to know what it would have cost to buy another Rolls gearset. It has a early Ford banjo style housing that bolts together. It had crazy mechanical brake linkage all hooked up around it. No way to make it work with the 9"(well, at least at that time in my life).

Friend takes ill and passes. He left the car to me(about 1994).

Motor ran, and likely enough to move it around, but I wouldn't say it was perfect. Body was rough underneath. Everything was crusty/rusty. Brakes were nill and all the gobbly gook mechanical crap I had to leave off the rear to make the Ford axle work. Heater core started leaking. It was RH steering, leather interior was "ok". I had the original Rolls manual(really cool piece), but had to give it up to buyer(dammit-shoulda kept my mouth shut--note to self).

I kept a copy of the original title with my name on it. Just a lil keepsake. I also have a Franklin mint model too. Looking back, it would have been really cool to have it now, but 20 yrs have come/gone and all the work/money it would have taken to make it right.

I kinda liked them myself. I replaced a hood, left fender, left front door, and straightened the rear on the left side and what a joy it was!! People that owned it were assholes from the word GO! Beautiful car that was always gargage kept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolls-Royce_Silver_Cloud

Rob