Been trying to piece together some history on another RL-series truck that i always liked,this one has some "movie star" background,as it was in the movie "Moonfire" back in the sixties,on TV in "Movin-on" and was on the cover of Overdrive magazine about 6 or 7 times! just wondered if anyone could add some details to the story,what happened to it? who owned it? etc. It was painted several times,pretty much the same scheme,just diff.colors,and was pinstriped by a guy well known to the hot-rod crowd in the 50's and 60's "Von-Dutch"..................Mark

post-5836-0-18154900-1307804104_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-71469300-1307804114_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-12917800-1307804135_thumb.jp

post-5836-0-08964500-1307804182_thumb.jp

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

it for sure western model,probably san jose plant,,but whats up with the spoke rears,,makes u wonder,,sorry mark,,cant help ya,,bob

Most RL 700 series trucks I've seen have spokes on the drives and Budd style on the steer. I have one of each. Both of my trucks were built in Hayward, CA, not San Jose.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Most RL 700 series trucks I've seen have spokes on the drives and Budd style on the steer. I have one of each. Both of my trucks were built in Hayward, CA, not San Jose.

Rob

Rob,i agree,its hard to see in these pictures,but the "spiders" on the drive axles are actually chromed! and the wheels are painted with a "pinwheel" effect kinda reminds me of a barber pole............Mark

You wouldn't happen to have the Feb. 1973 issue would you? This looks like boobage to me, but I can't tell for sure- I think half her tee-shirt is missing!

note both guys have their hands in their pockets!

Nope! unfortunately not boobage,just a TIGHT t-shirt!...........feb.73's got a mini-skirt and a Brockway on the cover................Mark

post-5836-0-35266900-1307843266_thumb.jp

As you can see from the pictures the early RLs had the low hood, many people say they were never made that way. I never have seen a real one, does anyone know of a low hood that still exists? I was talking about this a few weeks ago with someone, interesting.

FW

Rob

oh,,ok,,i also had one,had aluminum,doors,,budds all around,but i sold it 26 years ago,,thanks for the heads up on hayward,couldnt remember,,was told they had a plant in san jose at one time..bob

oh,,ok,,i also had one,had aluminum,doors,,budds all around,but i sold it 26 years ago,,thanks for the heads up on hayward,couldnt remember,,was told they had a plant in san jose at one time..bob

Mowerman,

If you go to antique and classic Mack truckG/D on page 5 click on RL700Lpics an you can see one with the low hood an alum doors an budds, its a 71 that i bought in March, it was built in Hayward CA. It also has an alum. frame an a V12-71 Detroit I just received the build sheet an paper work from the Mack Museum on Sat. It was built on June 19, 1971, so her birthday is coming up on Sunday Fathers day, orig hp was 475 a lot of ponies for it's time!

BULLHUSK PS I don't have the pic. card with me so I can't post a new one sorry

ahrite,appeciate the info...see if you can find any history on san jose..cant find anything on san jose,or hayward,,also had a u model,with budds,,,dont remember where they built that one either..sold it 21 years ago,,!!!!!!bob

As you can see from the pictures the early RLs had the low hood, many people say they were never made that way. I never have seen a real one, does anyone know of a low hood that still exists? I was talking about this a few weeks ago with someone, interesting.

FW

I ran across a 68' RL 700 out here in CA a couple of months ago. Had the low hood, Budds all around and a 8v detroit in it. Guy wanted $2000 for it not running. It even had the small door in the top of the hood at the front for checking the coolant without tilting the hood.

It's not a "low hood". It was the standard R7 hood mounted higher on the frame. In late '72 they came out with a new hood that dropped the fenders about 4 inches. There were a handful of the Westerns with the new hood and old shallow cab built.

The hoods changed again in summer of 1977 to feature a top rib on the hood that matched the design of the RS600L hood. That hood was short-lived as the Superliners came out for 1978.

As for Phantom 1, It had a 335 Cummins and Page & Page rear suspension.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan I have seen sevral late model rs700l with the standard flat top hoods. Mine was built 10/77' and is flat. Have seen a few 76' with the ribs. I know this has come up a few times and recall Mack did it for added strength?? Seams no ryme or reason to why some trucks had the rib and others did not????

My 74 is flat, the 77 is flat, and the 78 has the rib. The 78 has the truck serial number embedded under the fiberglass layers as built.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 1 month later...

i recently bought a RL688 mack dump truck i discover it gross weight is 21000, why is the RL model light in weight

It should have an aluminum frame.

Rob

Gday everyone. Very interesting reading the posts on this subject, great work. In Australia the R700 came out in late 1970 Im lead to believe. Among the first werew a handful of R715RS'. We never had any variation from the basic model, all had the standard chassis and grille like an F model. Most common engines were the 325 and 375hp V8, a few with the 284hp V8, and a C motor and 237 were the other Mack options. The coolpower became available in the late 70s, and there were a few specially fitted with 14L Cummins and 871V GMs. But as a rule Mack was basically the only engine gearbox and diff option. When did the R700s become available in the USA? They are some pretty flash looking trucks on the front cover of overdrive. Cheers, Skip.

I almost bought a 79' RL700 W/ a E9 V8 Mack & 12spd 14k f/a & 44k w/ camelback & double frame 2 LINE Wetkit, 187" wb frame for a lowboy/ dump trailer i had back bout 12 yrs ago(& up to 6 yrs ago when pop passed) , BUT My granddad JUST HAD TO HAVE THE 81 GMC BRIGADIER W/ 318 Detroit, 9513 tranny , double frame, 14k f/a 44k rockwell rears & knuckle boom crane & 187" wb frame SO. Because he stayed on my ass bout buying the Jimmy i bought it. (told a buddy bout the dog cause i knew he was looking fer 1 fer his farm & grading operations HE BOUGHT IT .)

he said ya saving money son i said ya but ya get what ya pay fer & besides i love the look of a California Bulldog , they look better than the regular R models we have. he said w/ what money we saving is going to a new D41P Komatsu . in a way i still liked the TD7G Dresser we had but we had to have a tax wire off that year, so thats the reason why i didnt get the California Dog. I'm still looking fer 1 though . ;)

Wish i wold had bought the :mack1: a buddy of mine bought it & still runs it on his farm & grading operations . & the ole E9 Sounds good w/ the chrome straight pipes on him pulling that 790 Deere Trackhoe & 850 Deere dozer & HAULING COTTON SEED , Wheat & Soybeans to the mills .

told my buddy if he ever sold it i want 1st shot @ it . he said no problem . so if he ever sells it i got 1st shot @ that beautiful Candy Apple red California dog & i remind him quite often so he doesnt forget . lol

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

they sure do turn heads. every time I pull up to a job site with my RS I find at least one old school operator that jumps off the machine just to chat about the Western Macks. One thing I have noticed is that everyone asks me if it has the big V8. or if it was built with one. Im half glad it is a basic inline 6 but know the V8 would be fun. Im still searcing for a cheep 12 speed that I can swap in. and if the money is right maybe a E7400 mechanical??? may even put some "softer" superliner front springs just to upgrade its ride. I was hauling onsite again yesterday with a v8 superdog and that front end was like butter over the same bumps that my RS700 madeit feet harsh. It could have been the extra weight of the V8 smoothing them out? i know keep dreaming and it may come ture.. then to make the day bad I had to slip seat into a 2001 pete. it rode nice but was like a wet sponge in the dirt. had to bang gears at the slow speeds as the truck was all over the place. sometimes to soft of a truck is worse than a solid firm truck...

ok thats my rant

Trent

• 5 months later...