i remember them,,i grew up in the boston area,,and they were every where,,mostly red macks.sorry dont have any other information,,but im sure deregulation killed them,like the rest of the good company,s..now were all workin for peanuts,,and no more pentions..good luck bud.im trying to find photo,s of beacon fast freight,cant find anything but hats,and patches..bought them from a guy in florida,,but i think he died,dont see his ads anymore...keep trying bubba

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How do you add pictures to this site?

Click on "More Reply Options" in lower righthand corner of the "Reply to this topic" box.

Then in the lower left hand corner you will see "Attach Files". Click the "Browse" button to locate the image. Then click on "Attach This File". Do this for each pic you want to attach. Then click "Preview Post" and see if it is okay. If not make your changes then click "Add Reply" when finished.

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

just think of all that stuff that went in the dumpster over the years. id love a pair of Sears Oil, Rome Ny mudflaps and door stickers for a B model of theirs we have, probably never get any. didn't see any at their auction either. I have an 86 Iroc Z Camaro and am restoring an 84 Z28 now. was lookin for original 80's Z28 mudflaps,. they go for over $100 on ebay! buddy of mine worked for a Chevy dealer in the 80's, they got bought out, he goes we never sold many Camaros but GM would send us all the goodies, you wouldn't believe all the stuff we tossed in the dumpster when we got bought out, UGH!

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

just think of all that stuff that went in the dumpster over the years. id love a pair of Sears Oil, Rome Ny mudflaps and door stickers for a B model of theirs we have, probably never get any. didn't see any at their auction either. I have an 86 Iroc Z Camaro and am restoring an 84 Z28 now. was lookin for original 80's Z28 mudflaps,. they go for over $100 on ebay! buddy of mine worked for a Chevy dealer in the 80's, they got bought out, he goes we never sold many Camaros but GM would send us all the goodies, you wouldn't believe all the stuff we tossed in the dumpster when we got bought out, UGH!

If we could turn back the hands of time.....

Ken

PRR Country and Charter member of the "Mack Pack"

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I worked out of the Chicopee, Massachusetts barn in the early 70's . Our TM was Audrey Snow. You couldn't miss the terminal - it was painted PINK. The terminal had about 9 doors, that's if they all opened without kinking to one side. In the winter, the wind blew across those docks without mercy. The B67's were all on their last leg- but, we managed. The dirt yard blew sand and dust all over the place. We had one mechanic who operated out of his van. The break in the day was listening to the chatter over the company land-line, watching the TTY stream endless reams of paper punch tape of someone lookin for missing freight. The roadmen use to pull in from the Mass Pike, leave the tractor running, get out with the driver's door wide open, come into the terminal office, call a taxi then leave. Unusual bunch, like they had a chip on their shoulder or something. Our terminal was broken into so the TM got this guard dog - named it ...DOG. (figures) One of the dock guys felt sorry for the dog one brisk night and let him sleep in one of the trailers in the makeshift bone yard that we had. Unfortunately the trailer was just used to haul mothballs. The dog was higher than a kite. A cop patrolling the area, heard a strange noise coming from the area, stopped and opened the trailer, only to be greeted by a row of teeth and one spaced out dog. There was a small farm  in back of the terminal and a couple of goats/rams got out and chased a few of us around the gas pumps for a while. Things were tough then, tested the best of us. But, after working there, everything else that followed was really boring.  Damn, that was the best job I ever had. Good people, good trucking.  A man by the name of Lindquist use to visit us. Nice guy.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2014 at 9:53 PM, Maddog13407 said:

Here's  a pic I found  on Pinterest,Matt. Thought  you  might  like the wreckers667892f7a83601578ae5bcb2b8e2f344--semi-trucks.jpg.6e3fbc59727053b997a3a759ec8d9948.jpg in the background. Al  

• Like 2

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

hard to tell in the pic Al cause Bartnicks had two B model wreckers almost identical.  the one we have has the thicker boom and a 10 speed direct while the other had a 9 speed and a thinner boom. I think the second one had a bad demise  I think the one in the pic is ours

• Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

My father, Pete Bange drove for them for decades out of Kearny, NJ right til they closed. I don't recall a sale to Oneida. Owners turned it into a truck leasing outfit, I believe... around 1984.

Beacon straight truck featured in famous hijack scene in 'GoodFellas'.

i saw that movie.....funny thing i was telling the wife,,,on that scene,,,,hey that looks like an old beacon city truck,,,,then it showed the back of it,,,,and i was just about screaming....wow it is an old beacon truck....my pop drove one just like it back around 68.....bob

On 1/3/2018 at 8:01 AM, james j neiweem said:

I remember the red U models. I think they had some White 9000's with the A car cab also.

thats what i remember most,,,,grew up in peobody,,,,,used to see quite a few of them delivering in my town..them and law transportation..bob

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2011 at 11:25 AM, heavyhauler said:

Dorn Trucking ran out out of their main terminal south of Albany, NY from the 1960's to the 1980's before the business was shut down. According to my sources, they ran local deliveries and doubles in that area. We need information on that trucking company including pictures of trucks, trailers etc if available. Thanks in advance.

John

My grandfather Walter Dorn owned Dorn’s Transportation, they had multiple terminals in PA, NJ, CT, etc. Their main terminal was in Rensselaer NY before moving to Albany. He employed almost 800 people and his business was in operation from 1934-1981, when he sold it to Oneida Trucking.  I have a lot of picture that I can post.

Erin Dorn-Lewis

• Like 1

On 5/20/2011 at 6:02 PM, other dog said:

I remember them too, but I don't have any pictures. There is an article about them and a few photos in the "Trucking Pioneers" book 5, that I have. If you don't have those books I could send it to you to look at and copy,and you could send it back. My scanner doesn't work anymore,I can only take pictures of pictures :pat:

I'll take a picture of the article if you want,and if you want the book i'll be glad to loan it to you.

Could you send pictures of Dorns trucks from that book?