Dorn Trucking ran out out of their main terminal south of Albany, NY from the 1960's to the 1980's before the business was shut down. According to my sources, they ran local deliveries and doubles in that area. We need information on that trucking company including pictures of trucks, trailers etc if available. Thanks in advance.

John

i remember them,,i grew up in the boston area,,and they were every where,,mostly red macks.sorry dont have any other information,,but im sure deregulation killed them,like the rest of the good company,s..now were all workin for peanuts,,and no more pentions..good luck bud.im trying to find photo,s of beacon fast freight,cant find anything but hats,and patches..bought them from a guy in florida,,but i think he died,dont see his ads anymore...keep trying bubba

• Like 1

I apologize for the multiple posts. I kept coming up with sever errors so I had to try more than once to get the system to acknowledge the post. Next thing I know, there are 3 posts. The web site was also very slow when I was attempting to post this request for info. Maybe Barry has skipped town for the weekend and who would blame him.

John

quote name='mowerman' timestamp='1305905841' post='78092']

i remember them,,i grew up in the boston area,,and they were every where,,mostly red macks.sorry dont have any other information,,but im sure deregulation killed them,like the rest of the good company,s..now were all workin for peanuts,,and no more pentions..good luck bud.im trying to find photo,s of beacon fast freight,cant find anything but hats,and patches..bought them from a guy in florida,,but i think he died,dont see his ads anymore...keep trying bubba

I remember them too, but I don't have any pictures. There is an article about them and a few photos in the "Trucking Pioneers" book 5, that I have. If you don't have those books I could send it to you to look at and copy,and you could send it back. My scanner doesn't work anymore,I can only take pictures of pictures :pat:

I'll take a picture of the article if you want,and if you want the book i'll be glad to loan it to you.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

If you are going to South Bend for the ATHS National, perhaps you could bring the book. I will scan photos etc when I get home and then send the book back to you. How about this?

Best regards,

John

I'd be glad to, but I probably won't make it to South Bend. It's still a possibility, but not likely.

Thank you very much for the photos and pages from the book. They came out really well. I definitely owe you a few adult beverages! If that is Book 5, how many books are there in that series? It might be best for me to buy the complete series if I can find it. Once again, many thanks.

Best regards,

John

Thank you very much for the photos and pages from the book. They came out really well. I definitely owe you a few adult beverages! If that is Book 5, how many books are there in that series? It might be best for me to buy the complete series if I can find it. Once again, many thanks.

Best regards,

John

John,to the best of my knowledge,there are 9 volumes in the vanishing trucking pioneer series,they are still available on the ATHS website,just go to the store section..........hope this is of some help, Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

John,to the best of my knowledge,there are 9 volumes in the vanishing trucking pioneer series,they are still available on the ATHS website,just go to the store section..........hope this is of some help, Mark

That is correct Mark. I bought the whole set a few years ago and there was 8 volumes at the time, but I know there's at least one new volume since then.

Mark:

Just bought Vol 5 at Amazon but maybe I should purchase the entire set? Thanks for the advice. Looking at the history of Dorn Trucking, it was sad to see that they were purchased by Oneida Trucking which subsequently went out of business. I am sure Mr. Fred was turning in his grave at that moment. By the way, I just purchased a Mack B-77 but I don't know much about this particular model except that it is ultra-rare-only 133 units were made between 1958-1964. B-73's were Cummins powered and B-75's were Mack powered but what about B-77's? I will call the Mack Museum on Monday to see what they may have but any info that you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

John

Here is what I have, there are still a few trailers around being used for storage. The two top ones are mine from the Albany area, and the other Fred Gruin Photo is borrowed from Hank's. Try using Dorn's Transportation in your search.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/fgruin/d/fg_dorns_transportation_1a.jpg

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/fgruin/d/fg_dorns_transportation_1b.jpg

post-3857-0-06781600-1361917553_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Mark:

Just bought Vol 5 at Amazon but maybe I should purchase the entire set? Thanks for the advice. Looking at the history of Dorn Trucking, it was sad to see that they were purchased by Oneida Trucking which subsequently went out of business. I am sure Mr. Fred was turning in his grave at that moment. By the way, I just purchased a Mack B-77 but I don't know much about this particular model except that it is ultra-rare-only 133 units were made between 1958-1964. B-73's were Cummins powered and B-75's were Mack powered but what about B-77's? I will call the Mack Museum on Monday to see what they may have but any info that you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.

John

No problem John,allthough i don't own the entire series,i have checked them out from the library,i found them all very informative,lots of good info and pictures of some of the by-gone carriers,and an overall good read for anyone interested in trucks/trucking (probably look into getting the set myself at some point).I was suprized at the amount of info on the smaller,mid-size companies. BTW congrats on the B-77! a rare bird indeed! i do have some info regarding B-77's somewhere amongst my junk,will have to see if i can locate it and post some pictures..............Mark

Mark:

Thanks for the info. BTW, are you going to South Bend? If not, what about Macungie? Any plans?

John

I wish i could! but with my current schedule,its hard to plan anything in advance being as i am the only one doing what i'm doing right now. The last (and only) national convention i was able to attend was Baltimore back in 06,and believe it or not,i have never been to Macungie! but i will be done with my current contract later this year,and am going to make a concerted effort to set aside some time so i can get up to Macungie next year.............Mark

Mark:

With the price of fuel as high as it is, these national shows may just turn into a kind of regional show. The weather forecast for South Bend is calling for showers all four days-best take some rain gear. I will take lots of photos for you and I am happy to share those with you.

Best regards,

John

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Dorns Transportation operated from 1934-1981 when it was sold to Oneida Trucking who then quickly went out of business. There first terminal was in Renselaer NY, when they moved to their Albany terminal in the 1950's. Fred Dorn was CEO and my Grandfather Walter Dorn was the president/owner from 1950- 1981, his brother fred was the owner before that, he was 16 years older. I have many pictures of Dorn's Trucks that I can post. Other Dorns terminals whee in Philadelphia, Secaucus NJ, Buffalo, Massachusetts and, their were 9 terminals in all, he employed over 500 people.

• Like 1