Monfort The Legend

daveigou

I saw the picture you posted of your service truck; sharp lookin unit. I had a '93 Hino i bought brand new cab and chassis . sat in my garage for a full yr  while I worked round the clock keeping everyone else iron running. finally sent it to a fantastic welder ; he and i (when i could ) built a HD flatbed dump on it. I really liked the little cab over. that FL pictured brings back memories of the Mack days.  a FL  with the (at the time ) experimental 866 V8 showed up. as a youngster I was privileged to work with the Mack engineers on trials and tear downs. sad day in my life when the FL came in on a flat bed totaled beyond usable. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Man I wish I owned a Cabover...   I just think they are awesome..   My little Isuzu is great but.....   Not the real thing..   :) 

that was my first truck as a sub hauler f600 I spent around 8 years in cab overs .. Bob

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

Could you get a FL model with a 1693 cat or 3406A? Or maybe a KT Cummins?

back in the old days, you could order your mack with whatever engine and trans you wanted.

i have seen mack trucks with cat, cummins, detroit, scania, and duetz engines in them, all ordered that way. 

NYC sanitation ordered all their heavy haulers with cat engines and allison automatic transmissions

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

common back in the day were Cummins powered Macks, don't recall too many if any Cats ;not saying they weren't installed. Mack westerns may have had more. east coast  very few, new haven truck rental (no longer in existence) was in the change over process from the B's etc to  R's/F's /DM's. .a number of the F models had cummins power. '71-72 waterbury Mack sold over two hundred trucks . most to NHTR. being a rental co, The F models were specked for distant hauling 

26 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

easy to start tripping down memory lane with topics like this.  SC 350 was "high horsepower back then. such simpler , enjoyable times. no computers, emission crap .  8in stacks maybe on a bulldozer. 

Personally, a Small Cam 350 with two straight 5"  sounded awesome. Even with mufflers, they had a very distinctive combustion clatter.  And YES   at one point they were considered a "big" HP engine.....cause then, they were.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I get the "making time" part but, personally, I would really be concerned about traveling at anything over 75mph on the tires of the day & especially in the summer. Hell most truck tires now are not rated for anything over 75mph.

A very close friend who works at the local KW dealer told me several years ago that they were required to set the speed limiter (governor) no higher than the lowest speed rating on the the tires on new deliveries.

8 hours ago, Terry T said:

I get the "making time" part but, personally, I would really be concerned about traveling at anything over 75mph on the tires of the day & especially in the summer. Hell most truck tires now are not rated for anything over 75mph.

A very close friend who works at the local KW dealer told me several years ago that they were required to set the speed limiter (governor) no higher than the lowest speed rating on the the tires on new deliveries.

Terry, that stems from a lawsuit against paccar in 17 or 18. 

a guy was doing over 85 when a front tire blew out and he wrecked. 

he sued Paccar for putting 65MPH rated tires on the truck , but having the speed limiter set at 85.

fact he was running 20 mph over the speed limit did not matter. paccar lost the suit and next day said screw you and told all dealers speed limiter is to be set at steer tire max speed.

people that bypass the speed limiter loose warranty now.

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I always thought of those little front wheel bearings when a vehicle does speed in excess of common sense. tires also , but when a bearing goes at 80+mph that axle is now a ground bearing spindle. with a tire out possibly a little more control  on rim (and alot of Prayers ). had a R-700st with  V-8 maxi doing 70mph once . didn't know vw bugs went that fast on a two lane road. female driver of bug must have gotten a kick out of idiot in big truck trying to catch her to get  another look at beautiful set of legs in short skirt.😂

• Like 1