22.5 Or 24.5

bobo

hey I have e9 with 8LL, 442's on 22.5.(67mph) heavy haul on and off road. Im changing from open center to to hub pilot. What do you think would be better, change wheel size to 24.5 to gain some speed, or 18spd with 417 and 22.5 wheels? for shits and giggles money is no object! what would you do? is there any truth that a 8LL can be convered to a 18 spd? Just looking for input to sway my mind! bobo

for the 8LL i dont know about that you can convert it to a 18 speed but mabey a 15 speed sence they have the same back box. i might be wrong but i think its the 13 speed that you can convert being that they use the same back box. i dont know about the front boxes on any of these trans but with the back boxes being the same on the ones that i listed mabey its poss but ive not seen anyone do it. joe

hey I have e9 with 8LL, 442's on 22.5.(67mph) heavy haul on and off road. Im changing from open center to to hub pilot. What do you think would be better, change wheel size to 24.5 to gain some speed, or 18spd with 417 and 22.5 wheels? for shits and giggles money is no object! what would you do? is there any truth that a 8LL can be convered to a 18 spd? Just looking for input to sway my mind! bobo

Hard to figure a road speed gain, without knowing the Engine RPM range. It might be possible on the calculator to increase road speed 8 or 9 mph by changing to the larger tires. The Fuller 8LL is a .73 overdrive, so is the Fuller 18. An 8LL is my favorite for a road truck, I like to have the truck geared to loaf along at 65 to 70, at about 1600, and be able to accelerate hard, with just a little more throttle. An E9 can pull a lot of gear, but at some point you will have to trade something you really like for something that isn't so neat. You can go really fast, or you can make it really last.

The vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way. Go big or go home. :thumb:

...not to mention, the taller the tires, the more clearance you have to get under the truck when you need to work on it. :banana:

But the bridge is a little lower

Success is only a stones throw away.................................................................for a Palestinian

B0B0,

I thing the 8LL with the E9 V8 up front & 11R24.5's to the pavement is A good combo. Now years back I had a couple of trucks with 5x4's I pulled them an put in the fuller RTOO 13's these trucks pulled great & I got a good top end out of them with I think 5:23 rears. SO I think if your lookin for the best of both worlds ? I think the double over drive 13 is the way to go.

GOOD LUCK,

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Hey BoBO,

What did ya wind up doin with the truck ??

Bullhusk

I got a T2180 complete with shifter! 1500$! I think it will work out great with the O/D of .71, gives me a bit more road speed even if I use 22.5 rubber. I hope it will mount up no problem? BOBO

I got a T2180 complete with bell housing! cheap! I think it will work out great with the O/D of .71, gives me a bit more road speed even if I use 22.5 rubber. I hope it will mount up no problem? BOBO

I have an E7-460 mated to a T2180B with 4.17's riding on 11R24.5...I tach out around 83 mph (give or take...). 70 mph is around 1700 (if the tach is correct...the speedometer isn't. :pat: )

While it would probably be a good fit with tall 24.5's, I'm not sure I'd want 4.42's with 22.5's of any size on any truck that would see highway miles...the RPM's would just be too high for my liking. Local work around town, it would be aight....just stay off the big road.

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
:SMOKIE-LFT: 10 alcoas for $650 thats not bad I need to find 8 for the back of my superliner. If you come across any Bobo give me a call (519)-999- 4706 I'm still using the library computer to go on the forum, I can't get on it on mine for some unknown reason. I need to get down to york some saturday to get that bumper bracket from the wrecker there. Thats close to you so we should meet up for coffee.

:SMOKIE-LFT: 10 alcoas for $650 thats not bad I need to find 8 for the back of my superliner. If you come across any Bobo give me a call (519)-999- 4706 I'm still using the library computer to go on the forum, I can't get on it on mine for some unknown reason. I need to get down to york some saturday to get that bumper bracket from the wrecker there. Thats close to you so we should meet up for coffee.

hey hey where in york, K&R auto? its 25 min from my place. He's a pretty good guy to deal with. what size rims you want? I get them from Paillings. its luck of the draw as to how shinny they are, but I do get to pick which rims I want. BOb0

:SMOKIE-LFT: Yeh Bobo K&R had the skeleton of a superliner in the summer when I talked to him about it. I'm looking for 22.5 hub pilot rims for drives on my superliner I'm in need of all 8. I just have 4 old stud pilots on now so I can move it around the yard. I wouldn't mind at least 4 aluminum for the outside, I can always put 4 steel on the inside, thanks Dan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Those DMs with 58K rears and 24.5 rubber sure are good for hauling loads but not so friendly on the checkbook when it's time to buy new shoes lol :)

I just paid $377.41 for two boxes of blocks and a box of bolts. That will do one set of drive axles.

They don't make a super single in 24.5,only 22.5.

American Force Wheels makes them for pickup trucks. They sell 4 wheels and 4 adapters (from 8 lug to 10 lug) for like $2500. I'm almost positive they have 24.5's I know they have 24's. I'll probably just get whatever used ones Watts Mack will give me cheap.

Ben

post-10909-0-78145100-1332278883_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

i did the swap from 22.5 daytons to 24.5 hub piloted and it picked up 3 mph, i was pissed because everyone told me 7-10 mph,but if i would have done my homework i would have know it was a waist of money. here is a link to the Eaton road speed calculator.

hope the link works.

http://www.roadranger.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@roadranger/documents/content/ct_062746.swf