Little Mack On The Beach

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spent a little time in corpus christy not too long ago, pretty dreary place!....not much to look at, cept' the big ol' aircraft carrier (forget which one it is)..............Mark

USS Lexington.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

My brother and i got to tour the battleship NEW JERSEY when they brought it home a few years ago, this thing is enormous! philadelphia was not laughing at NJ so much anymore with those 18 inch guns pointed at them! this was one of the most decorated warships of all time, served in WWII,korea,vietnam,the gulf etc. never a single life was lost in combat on this ship, ONE of the good things to come out of jersey!!LOL!.........Mark

post-5836-003299000 1280700167_thumb.jpg

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

My brother and i got to tour the battleship NEW JERSEY when they brought it home a few years ago, this thing is enormous! philadelphia was not laughing at NJ so much anymore with those 18 inch guns pointed at them! this was one of the most decorated warships of all time, served in WWII,korea,vietnam,the gulf etc. never a single life was lost in combat on this ship, ONE of the good things to come out of jersey!!LOL!.........Mark

16 inch, 54 caliber, (I think on caliber). Number 2 of the four produced. Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, Wisconsin.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

16 inch, 54 caliber, (I think on caliber). Number 2 of the four produced. Iowa, New Jersey, Missouri, Wisconsin.

Rob

According to the ships history, the treaty to end WWII was supposed to be signed on the new jersey,as it was the admiraltys flagship in the pacific at the time,it was changed to the missouri, because thats where harry s. truman was from. could be right on the guns displacement, my memorys not what it used to be!.....Mark

Mack Truck literate. Computer illiterate.

• 3 weeks later...

According to the ships history, the treaty to end WWII was supposed to be signed on the new jersey,as it was the admiraltys flagship in the pacific at the time,it was changed to the missouri, because thats where harry s. truman was from. could be right on the guns displacement, my memorys not what it used to be!.....Mark

He's right, only the WW II Jap Yamato Class had 18'

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

:SMOKIE-LFT:

16 inch,18 inch-once the barrel gets past a foot in diameter,it's all kinda academic,innit? :idunno:

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

:SMOKIE-LFT:

16 inch,18 inch-once the barrel gets past a foot in diameter,it's all kinda academic,innit? :idunno:

:SMOKIE-RT:

It would certainly seem so however the reason for the main batteries to be large was further distance effectiveness. If I remember correctly the 18" guns of the "Yamato" class of Japanese battleships had an effective range of over 33,000 yards where the 15", and 16" guns of the British, and American battleships were 25,-27,000 yards.

Size really doesn't matter if you don't hit what you're aiming at.

Rob

It would certainly seem so however the main for the main batteries to be large was further distance effectiveness. If I remember correctly the 18" guns of the "Yamato" class of Japanese battleships had an effective range of over 33,000 yards where the 15", and 16" guns of the British, and American battleships were 25,-27,000 yards.

Size really doesn't matter if you don't hit what you're aiming at.

Rob

that's what I like to think- size doesn't matter.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

I used to be a Federal (Civilian) Firefighter at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard Fire Department a while back. I was (still am!) a big Naval Ship Buff, so working there was great. Here are some shots of the USS Iowa BB61 that I got when she was tied up there when assigned to the Inactive Fleet. Last I heard the Iowa was at the Suisun Bay, California inactive fleet storage site. Seen here tied up on the Delware River, along what was called "The Battleship Quaywall." The carrier USS Forrestal (which had been shipped up to Newport RI, but came back down to Philly about a month ago) is on the outboard (river) side of the Iowa.

post-1729-037276600 1282486659_thumb.jpg

post-1729-013620000 1282486679_thumb.jpg

post-1729-058933400 1282486692_thumb.jpg

post-1729-004176600 1282486706_thumb.jpg

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Part of our responsibilities (of course) as Firefighters was shipboard firefighting. We constantly boarded the inactive ships in order to familiarize ourselves with firefighting systems, layouts, etc. My engine company Captain, who was also somewhat of a ship buff, would take us out to drill often. He loved to just go aboard a ship and "sight see." Got to spend a memorable several hours one time aboard the Iowa, where we explored for what seemed like all day. Got to see President Truman's cabin, and (what was rumored) to be the only bathtub aboard a Naval vessel, which was installed for him. They never removed it, in case if another high-profile politician ever chose to transit aboard the Iowa. We also toured the inside of the Number 2 Turret, which suffered a catastrophic explosion on April 19, 1989 which killed 47 crewmen. There is a plaque inside the turret, with all of the crewmembers names. The bulkheads inside are all visibly blown outwards. Unfortunately on this particular day, I did not have my camera with me, but photography inside the ships was verboten anyways. Technically I probably could have gotten in trouble for taking these outside shots, but the PNSY was pretty much shut down by then anyways.

post-1729-039763500 1282487208_thumb.jpg

post-1729-031348400 1282487222_thumb.jpg

post-1729-075791700 1282487237_thumb.jpg

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

Part of our responsibilities (of course) as Firefighters was shipboard firefighting. We constantly boarded the inactive ships in order to familiarize ourselves with firefighting systems, layouts, etc. My engine company Captain, who was also somewhat of a ship buff, would take us out to drill often. He loved to just go aboard a ship and "sight see." Got to spend a memorable several hours one time aboard the Iowa, where we explored for what seemed like all day. Got to see President Truman's cabin, and (what was rumored) to be the only bathtub aboard a Naval vessel, which was installed for him. They never removed it, in case if another high-profile politician ever chose to transit aboard the Iowa. We also toured the inside of the Number 2 Turret, which suffered a catastrophic explosion on April 19, 1989 which killed 47 crewmen. There is a plaque inside the turret, with all of the crewmembers names. The bulkheads inside are all visibly blown outwards. Unfortunately on this particular day, I did not have my camera with me, but photography inside the ships was verboten anyways. Technically I probably could have gotten in trouble for taking these outside shots, but the PNSY was pretty much shut down by then anyways.

I had "sailed" with both of those ships in the 80's when I was in the NAVY. The Iowa was very, very LOUD when firing a salvo with the 16" guns. Aircraft carriers are just plain loud anyways you looked at it.

In 1985 when the battleship battle group was being thought up with the modernization of the Iowa class battleships I started training to be stationed on the Iowa in the radar area. I however decided the long range search capability of aviation spectrum would be more conducive to my future growth upon discharge; I went that route.

Two guys I went through with first string training, and one a neighbor three doors down in the base housing I lived in, did not survive that turrent explosion. I had however been discharged for five months when this event happened and only learned the names of the deceased much later. I found it disgusting the Navy placed blame for the explosion on a sailor with questionable sexual orientation which was later changed.

Rob