Need To Buy Some Tools:

Rob

I need to purchase a 3/4" socket set for the shop. I've seen several sets on ebay, (and the like) but the sizes vary all over the place. Most start at 3/4", or 7/8" and go to either 2", or 2-1/8". I seen one set that went to 3" and was EXPENSIVE!!

My question is how large do I need to go with a 3/4" drive set without going overkill? I've got wheel nut sockets in 1" drive so those are not a concern.

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I need to purchase a 3/4" socket set for the shop. I've seen several sets on ebay, (and the like) but the sizes vary all over the place. Most start at 3/4", or 7/8" and go to either 2", or 2-1/8". I seen one set that went to 3" and was EXPENSIVE!!

My question is how large do I need to go with a 3/4" drive set without going overkill? I've got wheel nut sockets in 1" drive so those are not a concern.

Thanks,

Rob

Have you tried SEAR's.....CRAFTSMAN TOOLS.....if they break, you can return them without question......can't do that from an internet buy.....And they are made in USA......Chicago, Illinois. :thumb: And bigger is always better no matter what they say. :D You can relate to that. :)

mike

I've got a Sears Craftsman 3/4 drive set. Runs from 7/8 thru 2", plus breaker bar, ratchet, & extension.

No complaints, I've broken 2 breaker bars & 1 ratchet over the years and just exchanged them at Sears for free replacements.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

I've got a Sears Craftsman 3/4 drive set. Runs from 7/8 thru 2", plus breaker bar, ratchet, & extension.

No complaints, I've broken 2 breaker bars & 1 ratchet over the years and just exchanged them at Sears for free replacements.

Is there not much call for greater than 2", and up to 3"?

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Is there not much call for greater than 2", and up to 3"?

Rob

7/8 to 2" is what was in that particular set when I bought it about 25 years ago.

Over the years I've added a few sockets on an "as needed" basis for particular jobs I was doing.

Where I work now the shop also has a full selection of 3/4 and 1" drive sockets, breaker bars & ratchets, so if I ain't got what I need in my set, I use one of theirs.

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

When I bought the B, I went to Sears and bought the 3/4" socket set, and picked up the breaker bar too. I keep it in the toolbox of truck. Cheaper then most, does the job, and free replacement when broken.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Rob

I bought Grey Pneumatic brand sockets, they work well and not hard on the budget, I highly recommend them I havent broke one or rounded one out yet!!

Fred

Both of the heavy truck parts stores I deal with carry that brand and although made in Taiwan, they seem to hold up well.

Rob

Both of the heavy truck parts stores I deal with carry that brand and although made in Taiwan, they seem to hold up well.

Rob

I bought a nice set of Grey Pneumatic six point impact sockets that range from 3/4" to 2.5". They were originally sold by my favorite truck parts supplier, and I got them less than 1/2 price with 75% of the sockets never being out of the carrying case. On the plus side is either place I use for a vendor will honor the warranty. Now have to purchase an impact gun, ratchet, and a few extensions to round out the set. Thinking about going with one of those new IR brand "XD" type.

Thanks for all the help.

Rob

I'm very disapointed because i've been looking for a Mexican set of wrenches and can't seem to find any. Tonight I was looking for a pipe wrench and went to Home Depot and found them to be only China made. I thought to myself that I had been taking care of the Chinese workers too long so I wanted to find an Irwin brand of wrench. I thought I was happy to find that old name brand so I bought it. I paid a big price for it but I knew that I would be satisfied. I get to my g/f's house to eat and brought in the IRWIN pipe wrench to brag on it alittle. Only to read on the packaging " MADE IN CHINA "......now how do you think I feel? I should have gone to SEARS.

mike

I'm very disapointed because i've been looking for a Mexican set of wrenches and can't seem to find any. Tonight I was looking for a pipe wrench and went to Home Depot and found them to be only China made. I thought to myself that I had been taking care of the Chinese workers too long so I wanted to find an Irwin brand of wrench. I thought I was happy to find that old name brand so I bought it. I paid a big price for it but I knew that I would be satisfied. I get to my g/f's house to eat and brought in the IRWIN pipe wrench to brag on it alittle. Only to read on the packaging " MADE IN CHINA "......now how do you think I feel? I should have gone to SEARS.

mike

A lot of the shit Sears sells is also made in China. It is still branded "Craftsman" too. When Cooper bought or took over Crescent and several others, they went to hell also.

I really don't do Craftsman tools. I've got scarred knuckles to attest to it. I was always able to bust their ratchet teeth with my hands. What Sears marketed 30+ years ago is a different calibre than they sell these days.

Rob

At work i had a good set of Mac shockets that went to 2 5/8 impack short and some deep was bought as needed and a 2 3/4 for eaton yoke nuts.But here at home i had same size but a china made shocket.They will work when ever one alround ant using them ever day.For wheel lug nuts good with 1".Here we have two tool sales stores that sell elcheapo tools that i used at home and got by with them but when using them on the job i want somthing that will be replaced with out having to mdrive across town ever week and then find out they dont have any in stock.

glenn akers

At work i had a good set of Mac shockets that went to 2 5/8 impack short and some deep was bought as needed and a 2 3/4 for eaton yoke nuts.But here at home i had same size but a china made shocket.They will work when ever one alround ant using them ever day.For wheel lug nuts good with 1".Here we have two tool sales stores that sell elcheapo tools that i used at home and got by with them but when using them on the job i want somthing that will be replaced with out having to mdrive across town ever week and then find out they dont have any in stock.

I agree with you on the need for good tools when you make a living with them. Fortunately Momma agrees with my philosophy and doesn't really care what I buy, (until I bring something home with a dog on the hood); Then it's a different story altogether......

This company, (Grey Pneumatic) has sockets up to 3" in the 3/4" drive and they are on the rack should I need something bigger than I have with this set.

I really got the Christmas list going now cause I really want a 3/4" impact wrench and don't have any money to buy it. Momma says I done spent my allowance with this socket purchase and I ain't even going to think about asking her for money!!

Good thing I got kids right???

Rob

I was wandering around Agmart in Sikeston the other day and found an 11 piece deep well impact socket set, 3/4" drive for $39. It has reasonable sizes for most applications...I'd have to go out to the garage to see the exact sizes...but it goes from slightly smaller than an inch (prolly 7/8 if I'm remembering right) up to a little bigger than 1-1/2".

...and a 3/4" drive impact rated for 1000 ft lb can be had at NAPA for $350 or so :thumb:

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

mike

When I renewed my NRA membership a while back they sent me an NRA cap. I was surprised to see the "made in China" tag in it.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

When I renewed my NRA membership a while back they sent me an NRA cap. I was surprised to see the "made in China" tag in it.

Hey Tom!

Just discovered tonight after the ballgame that my WATTS MACK teeshirt is made in NICARAGUA....I hope Barry realizes it and will make some adjustments. :pat:

mike

• 2 weeks later...

My socket set came in this afternoon and I'm impressed. It is the Grey Pneumatic brand and all are six point impact sockets in a really nice form fitted plastic case that latches securely. These things rival what Mac, and Snap-on market in quality.

The set goes from 3/4" to 2.5".

I'm happy. Now I am going to purchase an IR-2161XP impact wrench, and manual ratchet/extension set, (next months allowance) to round out the set.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

:SMOKIE-LFT:

I've really had good service with MAC and CORNWELL tools. The only thing I don't like is that if I need something I have to chase down their truck,and these guys cover much of northern Nevada-that's a lot of places to hide! Haven't managed to break anything yet,but they don't seem to be hard to deal with on replacements. CORNWELL did refuse to replace a breaker bar when I was still mechanic'n in the shop,because it had the handle broken off and welded back on. The guy said "Dammit-ya shoulda just left alone,then I could've replaced it!" Next time he came through,though,he brought a replacement in anyway. He said he'd have to buy that one,but it's okay,he gets a good deal on tools...

Speed

:SMOKIE-RT:

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

SMOKIE-LFT.gif

I've really had good service with MAC and CORNWELL tools. The only thing I don't like is that if I need something I have to chase down their truck,and these guys cover much of northern Nevada-that's a lot of places to hide! Haven't managed to break anything yet,but they don't seem to be hard to deal with on replacements. CORNWELL did refuse to replace a breaker bar when I was still mechanic'n in the shop,because it had the handle broken off and welded back on. The guy said "Dammit-ya shoulda just left alone,then I could've replaced it!" Next time he came through,though,he brought a replacement in anyway. He said he'd have to buy that one,but it's okay,he gets a good deal on tools...

Speed

SMOKIE-RT.gif

We don't have any representation of Cornwell tools in this area and the Mac truck is outrageous in prices although the warranty is great. I've used Mac, and Snap-on for many years but the Snap man is an ass, (in these parts) so I don't use him.

Rob

We don't have any representation of Cornwell tools in this area and the Mac truck is outrageous in prices although the warranty is great. I've used Mac, and Snap-on for many years but the Snap man is an ass, (in these parts) so I don't use him.

Rob

:D Being an ass must be part of the Snap-On job description. Aside from two Snap-On dealers I dealt with back in the 70's they've all been jerks;arguing over warranty replacement,won't order a replacement until their next stock order,etc. But,at least they are expensive enough to make me really,REALLY think about how badly do I need that special tool...

"Remember-ANY Gun Control is Unconstitutional!"
<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><i><b>MACK-E Model Registry # 36</b></i><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<a href="http://www.nvabatetravel.com/"target="_blank">http://www.nvabatetravel.com/</a>

I have an el cheapo (mexican) socket set that is my home set.

BUT - - - I have a long Snap-on ratchet, about three feet, that will bust loose anything I tied onto with it.

It came with two handles.

one short and one long.

My 1/2 inch will break loose most stuff but when it won't work, the 3/4 will!!

My 3/4 gun is old but keeping it oiled, it will still pull BIG head bolts that were torqued at 800#.

Packer

Keep a clutchin'

I have an el cheapo (mexican) socket set that is my home set.

BUT - - - I have a long Snap-on ratchet, about three feet, that will bust loose anything I tied onto with it.

It came with two handles.

one short and one long.

My 1/2 inch will break loose most stuff but when it won't work, the 3/4 will!!

My 3/4 gun is old but keeping it oiled, it will still pull BIG head bolts that were torqued at 800#.

Packer

I have a 1" CP wrench but it is so heavy I don't like to use it except for tires. My good 1/2" and the new 3/4 inch should take care of anything I'll come across.

Rob

Been thinking, (dangerous thing you know) and I really need to get this impact thing finished up. You guys that do a lot more wrenching on trucks than I do can prolly answer this unbiased:

I'm going to purchase one of the impacts in the link below. I don't know if I should get the extended drive anvil or not. I have a 1" CP drive wrench for taking the tires and wheels off a truck, but this new wrench would probably do the same thing. I've never used a 3/4" extension on an impact with this much torque available, and even a 1/2" wrench when used through an extension can get wobbly with a loss of torque.

My question is pretty straightforward: Do I need to purchase the extended anvil or not and what are the pros and cons besides the length?

Thanks,

Rob

http://www.maxtool.com/product/search.asp?mdb=\tools.mdb,tbl=IC_ITEMS,template=/3_ir.htm,DBCOMP=ABS,dbsort=retail,ReturnMax=25,DB_CAT2=IRImpTQt

Wrenches I'm interested in are the last two at bottom.