Pictures of the Week

other dog

I've seen brush piles around here burn for months. You wouldn't see any signs of a fire or any smoke but on ththe right day the mound underneath he snow starts steaming and smoking. My grandpa told me Champion Logging Company used to have military surplus airplane engines mounted on flatbed trailers and they would use them to literally can the fire so it would burn up fast. 

• Like 2

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

There is a town up in the hard coal region of northeast Pennsylvaia (Think it is Centralia???) that has had a fire in the mine under town burning for the last 30+ YEARS.. FWD or Quadbox can maybe add some more details?

Brocky

I took some pipes up on some mountain near Westernport, Md. I had to wait on the other two trucks to get unloaded because we were all going to Galv-Tech in Pittsburgh to load, and they had never been there before.

DSCN7224.JPG

DSCN7227.JPG

We were way less than a mile away from where we turned onto rt. 36 from rt. 135 when we got to the job site, but we had to go about 15 miles around the mountain to get there because there was no way to get there through Westernport. I was in third gear I think, in the low side getting up one of the hills getting in there.

DSCN7231.JPG

• Like 2

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

4 hours ago, other dog said:

I took some pipes up on some mountain near Westernport, Md. I had to wait on the other two trucks to get unloaded because we were all going to Galv-Tech in Pittsburgh to load, and they had never been there before.

DSCN7224.JPG

DSCN7227.JPG

We were way less than a mile away from where we turned onto rt. 36 from rt. 135 when we got to the job site, but we had to go about 15 miles around the mountain to get there because there was no way to get there through Westernport. I was in third gear I think, in the low side getting up one of the hills getting in there.

DSCN7231.JPG

wellll           not only do you have to look good I guess ya have to know how to find your way around to    damnB)

• Like 1

There is a paper mill in rural Maryland with a 90 degree turn and right after the turn there are 14 tombstones to memorialize the truckers who died there! I forget the rte number  but I've been to that mill! I suspect 0D has been there as he runs a lot in that general area! Like that old country song" a tombstone every mile " that song is based on a downgrade in Maine where drivers used to haul loads of potatoes out! What part of Pittsburgh is Galvtech in ,never been there?

On 1/23/2017 at 10:19 AM, BillyT said:

There is a paper mill in rural Maryland with a 90 degree turn and right after the turn there are 14 tombstones to memorialize the truckers who died there! I forget the rte number  but I've been to that mill! I suspect 0D has been there as he runs a lot in that general area! Like that old country song" a tombstone every mile " that song is based on a downgrade in Maine where drivers used to haul loads of potatoes out! What part of Pittsburgh is Galvtech in ,never been there?

Luke, Maryland- hauled pulpwood there many times. There's a bad hill on rt. 135 coming into Luke, because it's pretty much straight- no 20 mile an hour turns to slow down for, and folks would tend to go too fast. Then they'd get to the bottom and there was a 90 degree turn, or slam into the side of the mountain. There was lots of pictures of truck crashes that happened there in the scale house at Westvaco. You had to go past 135 to get to the scales, then past it again and make a right into the paper mill. The scale man warned us every time "whatever you do, do not turn on 135!" -Looks like a lot more crosses since you were there Billy.

I never went that way, I always said that after I got unloaded at the paper mill I was going to go up that hill just to check it out, but I never did. Greendash said he's been down it a few times.

Luke.jpg

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Yep OD, Luke is the place I was trying to remember! Figured you'd been there! Just saw an article in the Tampa paper that said there are a couple of coal mines on fire in West Virginia like the one in Centralia PA, the state is trying to get some federal money to put them out! Your mention of Harrisonburg brought back some memories! In the late 70s I delivered a new Ford cab and chassis to the Ford dealer there, missed my bus back to the terminal in Pittsburgh,so I decided to hitchhike! Got a ride with a young kid in a pickup to In wood Wva,he had six pack, so of course I had a couple!, gave him my copy of Overdrive,as he was interested in trucking. Got another ride with an older fella to Snyder's Gateway in Breezewood.He had a fifth of Jack Daniels,so by the time I got there I was " feelin' no pain"😁 Got a ride in a KW  pulling a dump trailer to about 1/4 of a mile from my terminal! Fortunately he had no "adult beverages" so I was in good shape to drive home!

• Like 1