What Was Your Favorite Dozer

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 KINDS OF INTERNATIONAL TD 24'S ONE WITH CRACKED HEADS & ONE THATS GONA HAVE CRACKED HEADS!! Still my favorite dozer out push any Cat machine! 2 speed steering way ahead of it's time to bad you couldn't squeeeezzzzz a KT Cummins under the hood ?

2 KINDS OF INTERNATIONAL TD 24'S ONE WITH CRACKED HEADS & ONE THATS GONA HAVE CRACKED HEADS!! Still my favorite dozer out push any Cat machine! 2 speed steering way ahead of it's time to bad you couldn't squeeeezzzzz a KT Cummins under the hood ?

BULL HUSK, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD WITH THAT ONE. THAY WOULD BE THE ALL TIME BEST MACHINE, DOES HAVE TO BE CABLE OPERATED. THE UD 1091CID ENGINE WAS VERY LARGE SO I THINK YOU MAY BE ABLE TO SQUEEZE THAT KT UNDER THE HOOD. REALLY ANY OLD INTERNATIONAL DOZER WOULD BE MY FAV.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

GG2 my uncle had a garbage dump here in Jersey 50's thru late 60's had 6 TD 24's one TD14 all cable except for the 14 as a kid i used to love starting those 24's now lets see if i remember? pull rack rod out (lower left) open gas ped cock right side some times under hood or on right of dash, throttle up 1-2 notch start up on gas let run (depending on how cold) turn gas ped cock off just as she started too sputter you pulled up throttle and pushed in rackrod and the 1091 cam to life !! Now my cousin Tony said the reason the heads used to crack was because the rad. was too low and when the water would go below the head thus starving the upper part of the motor. So he made a res. tank under the hood held about 8 extra gal.put a 8 blade fan on it and it NEVER cracked a head !!! but buy then the TD25c came out and the rest is history. oh by the way near the end he had a TD30 could not run @ full throttle when pulled the steering back it would throw you out of the seat!! what a time it was BULLHUSK

GG2 my uncle had a garbage dump here in Jersey 50's thru late 60's had 6 TD 24's one TD14 all cable except for the 14 as a kid i used to love starting those 24's now lets see if i remember? pull rack rod out (lower left) open gas ped cock right side some times under hood or on right of dash, throttle up 1-2 notch start up on gas let run (depending on how cold) turn gas ped cock off just as she started too sputter you pulled up throttle and pushed in rackrod and the 1091 cam to life !! Now my cousin Tony said the reason the heads used to crack was because the rad. was too low and when the water would go below the head thus starving the upper part of the motor. So he made a res. tank under the hood held about 8 extra gal.put a 8 blade fan on it and it NEVER cracked a head !!! but buy then the TD25c came out and the rest is history. oh by the way near the end he had a TD30 could not run @ full throttle when pulled the steering back it would throw you out of the seat!! what a time it was BULLHUSK

I GREW UP ON THOSE OLD TOYS, DAD HAD A TD-6 AND A TD-14. BOTH WERE BASKET CASE MACHINES WHEN HE GOT THEM. SOLD THE 14 IN 1981 AND SOLD THE 6 IN 1990. WE ALSO HAD A TD-9 SERIES 92 , YOU HAD TO KNOW HOW TO DANCE IF YOU WANTED TO RUN IT, CAUSE YOUR FEET WERE ALWAYS ON THE MOVE. WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A 24 TO PLAY WITH.

GG2

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.

• 2 months later...

the first dozer i ran as a kid was a 310 Case. it had a clutch with a 3 speed transmission.

remember when backhoes had 2 seats? one for driving and one for digging?

Remember when backhoes had a seperate cab and you sat out in the open to run the hoe - truck mounted?

I remember watching one work when I was about 5 years old. The bucket was I think less than 12 inches wide. Years later I saw the truck without the hoe and remember it as a 1940's Chevrolet, maybe a 1 or 1-1/2 ton.

I saw one a few years ago out in a field. A 1950's Diamond T chassis and had a six cylinder OHV engine sitting right out in the open on back to run the hoe. There were also truck mounted hoes that had a house like a crane.

Hey guys just adding my 2 cents.I personally have owned and operated the line from td-6 to td-20s other than the heads giving a guy grief they were a great line of dozers.Also own a d6 9u catrpillar from 1963 and it is a great cat,sounds awesome with straight pipe and a real good push.Sure be nice to see more cat's restored instead of just looking at them as by the pound.Farewell talk to u soon

I used to run all the big cats, but when I struck out on my own, I like Komatsu,,parts cheaper,,easy to work on and stout as an elephant,,,just my 2 cents. In the past few years, cat has had a real problem with electronics and computer programs on their equipment,,,causing lots of shop time,,,randy

post-4330-064528300 1279558053_thumb.jpg

I used to run all the big cats, but when I struck out on my own, I like Komatsu,,parts cheaper,,easy to work on and stout as an elephant,,,just my 2 cents. In the past few years, cat has had a real problem with electronics and computer programs on their equipment,,,causing lots of shop time,,,randy

Randy, for some reason it looked to me like you have a handlebar mustache in this picture (until I clicked on it to make it bigger). Might be a good look for you, so keep that in mind if you need to change the facial follicles in the future. One of my neighbors has an old dozer sitting behind the house, one of these days I'll see if I can find out what it is. Seems like it's been sitting for years

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Here are a couple of shots of my favorite dozer, a mid 50's LGP D8 14A. The new LGP D8R's are faster, push more snow, and are definitely more user friendly, but when it comes to pulling heavy loads over soft snow, nothing beats the old cats.

Three remain out of the 50 or so built. Most were abandoned on the ice by the Seabees when the Navy operated the US Antarctic Research Program for the National Science Foundation. The Navy was notorious for leaving equipment where it sat when they were finished with it or when it broke down. Almost all of the tractors shipped back for disposal were scrapped, though there is one at the Seabees museum at Port Hueneme near Oxnard, Cal.

post-5728-093044000 1279564453_thumb.jpg

post-5728-045065900 1279564483_thumb.jpg

Randy, for some reason it looked to me like you have a handlebar mustache in this picture (until I clicked on it to make it bigger). Might be a good look for you, so keep that in mind if you need to change the facial follicles in the future. One of my neighbors has an old dozer sitting behind the house, one of these days I'll see if I can find out what it is. Seems like it's been sitting for years

hey, wassup rhasler,,,naw,,thas just remains of goatee, i bout worried so much i rubbed it all out. When they plugged leak in gulf, and my newfound fortune went belly up, just set me to worrying too much. randy

Here are a couple of shots of my favorite dozer, a mid 50's LGP D8 14A. The new LGP D8R's are faster, push more snow, and are definitely more user friendly, but when it comes to pulling heavy loads over soft snow, nothing beats the old cats.

Three remain out of the 50 or so built. Most were abandoned on the ice by the Seabees when the Navy operated the US Antarctic Research Program for the National Science Foundation. The Navy was notorious for leaving equipment where it sat when they were finished with it or when it broke down. Almost all of the tractors shipped back for disposal were scrapped, though there is one at the Seabees museum at Port Hueneme near Oxnard, Cal.

Well, I do believe thas the first one of those long rascals i ever saw! interesting cab arrangement,,,randy

The D8K I had was still the sweetest operating machine I have ever ran. I tried many times to stall the tracks in 2nd gear, but unless you had a stump or a log under them they either spun or it PUSHED! It had a twin tilt angle blade and I had a KG blade for it. I still miss that tractor.

The D8K I had was still the sweetest operating machine I have ever ran. I tried many times to stall the tracks in 2nd gear, but unless you had a stump or a log under them they either spun or it PUSHED! It had a twin tilt angle blade and I had a KG blade for it. I still miss that tractor.

yes, the D8K was a most excellent tractor,,,very strong runner,,randy

I can jump in here, My favorite dozer is my D8K I have had it for 22 years, 12K hrs on the meter, it runs and works just like the day after it was built. The best sounding machine is the 17A series D7.

When I first got going in the 70's an old time dirt guy said if you got Macks and Cats you got the best, I have to agree.`

FW

I can jump in here, My favorite dozer is my D8K I have had it for 22 years, 12K hrs on the meter, it runs and works just like the day after it was built. The best sounding machine is the 17A series D7.

When I first got going in the 70's an old time dirt guy said if you got Macks and Cats you got the best, I have to agree.`

FW

I bet you misunderheard him FW, he must have been eating corn bread while he was talking, am almost sure he said "Macks and Koooommmaaatttsssuuusss,,,chomp,,chomp,,(ummm,,,good corn bread),,heh heh,,,randyp

Still one of the best machines around today! D342 engine good stufffff

I still like this one.

Rob

post-78-049406200 1279591067_thumb.jpg

post-78-017371400 1279591078_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Have any of you guys owned or operated any Volvo Construction Equipment?

I have run some of the offroad dump trucks rhasler, thats all, have never owned any volvo equipment. The Volvo excavators have a really good reputation around here, but they are also very pricey. The dump trucks were very tough and powerful, I liked em,,,randy