What Was Your Favorite Dozer

For fine grading i perfer a D4 Cat, for Pushing Scrapers i perfered the ole TD 25 I.H. although it would push a Cat it wouldnt outlast a Cat Liked the "Push Cat" D8 For longivity ;)

For Land Clearing round here a D6D & D6E LGP W/ Winch Screens & Sweeps & also help us build a Many of Lakes, ponds , & Duck Leeves

The 750B & 850B J.D. Were good machines but wasnt crazy bout that hydrostat Wine :rolleyes:

What bout yall what was your favorite?

Later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a "classic" dozer, I'd pick a TD25 B or C. Those had the hi/lo for each track individually so you could keep power on both tracks when steering. That feature wasn't available on a Cat dozer back then. Also the UT817 International engine sounded awesome with a straight pipe!

The weak link in those TD25's was the transmission, however.

For a modern dozer, I would pick any of the "hi sprocket" Cats. We've got a D6, 2 D7's and a D8 where I work, and those things will push some serious dirt. The "little" hydrostat Cats ain't bad either (D3 &D5).

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

My only "real" experience is with a Cat D5B, (1982 year), a Deer 450C, (1983 year), and a Komatsu D21P, (1989 model year) when I was building my shop. I actually liked all of them and they performed as they should. Can't really say which I would lend precedence to as they all did what they needed to do. When I need to work on my shop property I grab either the Deere, or the Komatsu as I haul either behind the trusy, yet crusty Dodge on my skid steer trailer.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

For a "classic" dozer, I'd pick a TD25 B or C. Those had the hi/lo for each track individually so you could keep power on both tracks when steering. That feature wasn't available on a Cat dozer back then. Also the UT817 International engine sounded awesome with a straight pipe!

The weak link in those TD25's was the transmission, however.

For a modern dozer, I would pick any of the "hi sprocket" Cats. We've got a D6, 2 D7's and a D8 where I work, and those things will push some serious dirt. The "little" hydrostat Cats ain't bad either (D3 &D5).

the first dozer i ran as a kid was a 310 Case. it had a clutch with a 3 speed transmission.

remember when backhoes had 2 seats? one for driving and one for digging?

& ya jocko those ole D8 Cat's esp w/ a pony starter sure sound good esp in a hard push that's 1 sound that will never be duplicated ;)

Herb that's hitting the nail on the head that's what pop's (granddad ) had was a TD25C I miss the sound of the ole I.H. TD25C ours had a stright pipe on it & sounded sweet in a hard push also the other reason why pop's his brother & my dad liked the I.H. TD25C WAS the track speed on each track pop & bud (1 of his brothers) claimed thats what help I.H. outpush a Cat @ the time was the hi/lo in each track (guess thats why i like a 850G Case ;)) & ya i rememer they had tranny problems w/ the TD25C A couple of times my self

& ya 1 of my buddy's (who was pop's right hand man for 35 yrs ) i help from time to time & he has a D6R LGP W/ cab screens ,sweeps , Winch & i like operating it it is 1 sweet operating machine

Ya i remeber the 310 Case ajt friend of pop's has still got one bought it new w/ the backhoe attachment it's 1 good little machine but he got a 750H Case now also & the little 750H Has spoiled me along w/ the D6R Cat Little bit more creature comforts ;)

Other :tonka ? aw now i left mine in the sand box long time ago (although i think my youngest nephew has em now ) 30 yrs later & still not destoryed yet :loldude:

just like the big boy toys the dont make to last like they used to ;)

Rob : We had a D5B W/ screens, sweeps & winch & straight blade w/ tilt 1 of the 1st dozer i ran i thought i was in high cotton after 1st learning a 450C Deere (didnt like the air filter right @ my feet <_< ) as for a D21 Never operated a D21 Komatsu but have seen them seem like a good lil dozer in a tight spot smalled Komatsu ive operated was a D31 Wide track (show how old it was it had the Komatsu logo of a SIDEWAYS Divison symbol on it ;))

later yall

:mack1:

You Cant Fix Stupid. But You Can Numb It With A Sledgehammer. :loldude:

i prefer a D6k. Ran a brand new one last week man those things are sweet. I just cant justafie buying one for 200k, when works slow and you probly be able to buy one a year from know with a 1000hrs for less then half

2008 Ford F-250 6.4l Crew Cab short Bet lifted on 20s

2007 Mack Granite ( Still waiting to put a Dump box on)

2005 Cat 257B Track skid Steer

1997 Cat 312B

1993 Ford L8000 15' heil dump box

1990 Mack CH set back axle

1988 Cat 953

Not Bad for a only being 22

i have ran Dozers and other heavy equitment for yrs, everything from a D2 to a D 10 and everything in between, i always wanted to run the big iron, but the big iron usally had a ripper on the back for the big rock that you worked in Do that for a few yrs and your back will be destored like mine is, I ran a Komatsu 65 P wide track for a long time that i really liked and for a all alround dozer it was hard to beat, John Deere 450,s was a nice little dozer for messing around with, Hell i like them all even the old cable ones, Has anyone used a old pull pan that used cable,s from the dozer like the old cat 60 pan, thats what i got started on, you learned not to get the pan upside down with the cable warp around the hitch a few times :SMOKIE-LFT:

That little D21P is great for all around use. It has the pyramid tracks that are 24" in width and at 40 gross engine horsepower, well suited to it's weight, 10,000#, (or so). I like it cause I don't have to permit to move and with a tight six way blade that is eight feet wide, is great for finish work.

The only thing that we really were not totally fond of was that the pyramid tracks did not grab into soft ground as well as grouser bars. We welded 1/2"X1" tall stock to the top of the track points and that worked great, but it is soft material so they wear fast.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That little D21P is great for all around use. It has the pyramid tracks that are 24" in width and at 40 gross engine horsepower, well suited to it's weight, 10,000#, (or so). I like it cause I don't have to permit to move and with a tight six way blade that is eight feet wide, is great for finish work.

The only thing that we really were not totally fond of was that the pyramid tracks did not grab into soft ground as well as grouser bars. We welded 1/2"X1" tall stock to the top of the track points and that worked great, but it is soft material so they wear fast.

Rob

We had a few D21 ps, i liked them, The company that i was with for years use to cover alot of surry ponds, so they had alot of wide track dozers, The pyramid pads worked good in real soft spots but that was about it, you sure didn,t want to get them on frozen ground, but like i said we was covering surry with about 3 ft of dirt so that worked fine, We either did 2 thing, either mud or rocks as big as a dump truck

We had a few D21 ps, i liked them, The company that i was with for years use to cover alot of surry ponds, so they had alot of wide track dozers, The pyramid pads worked good in real soft spots but that was about it, you sure didn,t want to get them on frozen ground, but like i said we was covering surry with about 3 ft of dirt so that worked fine, We either did 2 thing, either mud or rocks as big as a dump truck

You're right about those pyramid tracks on a hard surface. You can't even push a pile of sand on concrete before the grousers were welded on. The tops of the tracks are rounded over and they are like "skates". You also had to be carefull when loading onto a trailer in the rain. They are great when spreading/leveling fill sand on a job as they don't tend to sink.

Rob

My favorite dozer that i wish i had back was a old Case 350 I completely repainted it , recovered seat, new stainless steel exhaust pipe, new hydraulic hoses, cutting edges , and other engine work. It was a awesome small dozer.

Heres a pic of my current dozer D3G . Sorry cant get resized .

I like the old Euclid TC-12's. Two dozers tied together that pivot with two screaming detroit's and cable blade lift. I know....they weren't real great, in some respects, but what looked cooler than those? And nothing sounds like them. I like all the old Euclids and Terex's for that matter.

I like the old Euclid TC-12's. Two dozers tied together that pivot with two screaming detroit's and cable blade lift. I know....they weren't real great, in some respects, but what looked cooler than those? And nothing sounds like them. I like all the old Euclids and Terex's for that matter.

Yeah, nothin' like running an old TS 14 with that 4-71 and it's exhaust stack about 3' from your right ear!!!!!

"If You Can't Shift It Smoothly, You Shouldn't Be Driving It"

Yeah, nothin' like running an old TS 14 with that 4-71 and it's exhaust stack about 3' from your right ear!!!!!

That's when men were men! Now, even myself........"what, no air conditioning, cupholders or sattelite radio......I'm not running that!" :D:lol:

That's when men were men! Now, even myself........"what, no air conditioning, cupholders or sattelite radio......I'm not running that!" :D:lol:

I sure would. I still remember what it is like to operate a manual spade, (shovel). Really don't want to do that no more neither.

Rob

• 4 weeks later...

I love the old pony start d8s nothing like hearing that pony bog down then that diesel starts up and that black smoke MAn cant get enough of it also that stright pipes sound when you rev that bastard up and start pushing there is no stoping that dozer

real trucks have to sticks

• 6 months later...

Hey guys just adding my 2 cents.I personally have owned and operated the line from td-6 to td-20s other than the heads giving a guy grief they were a great line of dozers.Also own a d6 9u catrpillar from 1963 and it is a great cat,sounds awesome with straight pipe and a real good push.Sure be nice to see more cat's restored instead of just looking at them as by the pound.Farewell talk to u soon

• 2 weeks later...