What Was Your Favorite Dozer

WOW Rob you sure know how too excite a motor head like me, i just flipped over my computer table now i got pick all this stuff up !!!!! Ernie

That 343/1693TA engine is actually rated at 620hp, (interrmittent) by OshKosh motor trucks from which I pulled it from. Don't quite know what I'm gonna stuff it into yet. I've quite buying trucks until something is a little further along in the shop.

Here is my 78 RL755LST with a factory 1693TA. This one I swear I'll get to one of these days.

Rob

post-78-054398700 1279592665_thumb.jpg

post-78-036519300 1279592671_thumb.jpg

post-78-022373300 1279592676_thumb.jpg

post-78-048834100 1279592678_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW Rob you sure know how too excite a motor head like me, i just flipped over my computer table now i got pick all this stuff up !!!!! Ernie

I'm still partial to this one. It's also a little over 600hp but has never been dyno'd.

Rob

post-78-054995900 1279593255_thumb.jpg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

rob where did you find that truck i would kill for that thing next time im up your way ill have to stop by and see some of your toys

I actually purchased that truck to install the V12 Detroit into; until I discovered it was one of only three ever built!! I went in 1/2's with a gent in Arkansas as he wanted the engine for a Kenworth and I wanted the long hood for the Detroit. When Snowey, (RIP) from the Mack museum revealed the rarity of the truck, I quickly acquired the balance. I've not had a lot of time so haven't worked much with it but have real plans to. My wife is an accountant for Caterpillar and did research revealing that Mack trucks only purchased four 1693TA engines from them. I don't know what happened to the first engine, but assume it was used for test fitment as everything is tight due to the engines physical size. Besides having an oil leak, it runs very well.

I'm always in the shop during the evenings and am thinking of restarting the body shop. I've recently been reassigned at the federal job leaving me with more free time than I've had the past few years.

Give me a call before showing up as I wouldn't want to miss anyone. This is the truck for the V12 install that was purchased once the 1693TA powered one was ruled out.

Rob

post-78-043013300 1279594994_thumb.jpg

post-78-026180000 1279595014_thumb.jpg

Have any of you guys owned or operated any Volvo Construction Equipment?

Volvo makes the finest articulated truck hands down. They are smoother, quieter, and more powerful than anything else on the market today. The loaders are pretty good too. I haven't had any experiance with any of their other equipment.

Volvo makes the finest articulated truck hands down. They are smoother, quieter, and more powerful than anything else on the market today. The loaders are pretty good too. I haven't had any experiance with any of their other equipment.

That's what I had always heard about them. I wasn't sure of the cost on their equipment though. It seems like the majority of the equipment used around here on local projects is Volvo.

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

That's what I had always heard about them. I wasn't sure of the cost on their equipment though. It seems like the majority of the equipment used around here on local projects is Volvo.

As far as the trucks go you are paying for what you get. They usually price out higher than Cat (Is that possible?:) ) but are well worth the difference.

As far as the trucks go you are paying for what you get. They usually price out higher than Cat (Is that possible?:) ) but are well worth the difference.

Do any of you guys know if the durability of the engines in the equipment is better than the truck engines?

"Mebbe I'm too ugly and stupid to give up!"

Do any of you guys know if the durability of the engines in the equipment is better than the truck engines?

Volvo D16 series engines have been "rock solid" in generator applications for me.

Rob

The engines in the trucks are very reliable especially the older mechanical ones. They are fairly easy to work on with individual heads. I bought an A35 not to long ago from a major local corp. The truck had 11,000hrs on it and looked like new. The head "mechanic" said it was missing due to piston problems and because of its age, 1992, they weren't going to spend any more money on it. They had just put 4 new tires on it! So I bought the truck for a little less than the cost of tires brought it home found the missing cyl. and had the injector tested. The injector was stopped up. I put an injector in it and the truck ran perfect. I sold it soon after, this is why you only trust half of what you see and none of what you hear.