Looking For Info On L T Macks

I was wondering if some one could provide some information on the L T model. I went back through the forum but didn't find much on them. I have a chance to buy one that is Cummins powered but I don't know much about them. Many years ago I drove an L J but this truck is much bigger. Were they built in California instead of Pa? Thanks. Jakebrake

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but I can say that I would love to have an LT sitting beside my B.

Sorry to all but had to "fix that post"!!

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I'm not sure which plant the LT was built,but it was eastcoast built for the westcoast market.2009 were built from 1947 to 1956.You could get them with either a Cummins diesel,Mack EN707 gas engine or Hall-Scott engines.LTL's had lightweight aluminum chassis components,LTH's used steel.

LT's were built in Allentown, I believe 5C, but I am not entirely sure. I know G's were built in 5C and that may be what is sticking in my head. The Hayward plant didn't open until around 1965. You can check out my gallery for some LT's we rescued last year. There is one more that came home after these, I think I am going to keep it. Doug

Interested in Old Trucks? Check out:

www.antiquetruckclubofamerica.org

Pat McPhail (sp?), (aka MackLTH) is pretty knowledgeable on these trucks. He has had a couple of related columns published in the Wheels of Time.

I have a couple B models with L model cabs, but I haven't been able to glean too much information from the internet on this series. Good luck in your quest!

Scott

I've got one. A 1952 LTL. I've also had trouble finding information about them so I'll be paying attention to this thread.

I know that mine came with a Cummins Diesel engine in it, and was built on the east coast then delivered to the west coast.

I can post more specific details when I get back home from college in May. I'm in Boston right now and the build sheet is in NH.

We can start to compile what options were available from build sheet data.

Doug Maney is probably correct when he stated that the LT's were built in Allentown. I have an LT brochure that at the very end of the specifications lists factories at Allentown, PA, Plainfield, NJ, and Long Island City, NY. I believe Plainfield was where power train components were built, and after the war I believe fire apparatus production moved to NY. That would only leave 5C in Allentown as the only possibility. Hayward California did not open until 1965 or 66.

Dave

post-2383-1239147423.jpg

See my Flickr photostream page

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96692978@N05/

• 1 month later...

This week the L T was deliverd that I bought and to my suprise it was an LTL. I bought it from a picture and from the looks I thouht it was an LTH. I didn't even know what year it was but the title says '53. It has a 335 Cummins which is not original but it runs like a top. Now my B61 has a big brother in the shed.post-770-1243087383_thumb.jpg

Thanks Superdog. That's the plan to leave it just as is. I may get rid of the headache rack. that thing is ugly. Other than that it needs the belt tightener on the Cummins fixed and one spring leaf replaced in the camel back Also it needs both door glass replaced along with new channel. It's really fun to drive. It has air assist stearing, 5x4 tranny, and a jake. Also has a pto with awet kit. I was told the guy that bought it new drove it until 1994. She came from Montana. Wish she could talk. Jakebrake

Thanks Superdog. That's the plan to leave it just as is. I may get rid of the headache rack. that thing is ugly. Other than that it needs the belt tightener on the Cummins fixed and one spring leaf replaced in the camel back Also it needs both door glass replaced along with new channel. It's really fun to drive. It has air assist stearing, 5x4 tranny, and a jake. Also has a pto with awet kit. I was told the guy that bought it new drove it until 1994. She came from Montana. Wish she could talk. Jakebrake

Truck looks interesting!! I can see it has at least one aluminum fuel tank. Any more pics and history on it? Here is a shot of my LTL and LTH. The LTL was restored 10yrs ago and the LTH is a one owner that was parked and garaged in 1974 after nearly 20 yrs of logging in the PNW.

I'll get more pictures on here when (if) we get back. We're leaving for Huntsville this morning with the B61. I'm still looking for information on the L T model or if some one knows of a book on them I would like to find one. I plan on contacting the Mack Museum too when we get back. They was a big help with the B model. Thanks. Jakebrake

post-770-1243251543_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My LT was built in Allentown PA. Delivered to Denver CO

Specs from the original are as follows:

6 wheel - changed to 10 wheel in Plainfield NJ Mack Plant. Changes made by San Francisco Branch. July 30, 1952

Weight, total: 18,325

Engine: Cummins NHB

Aux. Trans: B&L 8Q31G

Tires: Firestone AT

Chassis sold to: K&S Equipment Co. 1880 Oro Vista, Oroville, CA

Most of the build sheet contains option and serial no's for each part down to the gaskets, I don't know what the option codes mean; and don't want to

spend hours typing the 9 pages of numbers

I hope you find this helpful and/or interesting.

Anyone interested in starting an L Model Registry, or rather is a registry beneficial/ pro's con's of such a thing? Privacy issues maybe?

6 wheel - changed to 10 wheel in Plainfield NJ Mack Plant. Changes made by San Francisco Branch. July 30, 1952

Most of the build sheet contains option and serial no's for each part down to the gaskets, I don't know what the option codes mean; and don't want to

Anyone interested in starting an L Model Registry, or rather is a registry beneficial/ pro's con's of such a thing? Privacy issues maybe?

Well we made it back from Huntsville without to much trouble but I haven't had much time to do anything with the L model. Idid get some parts ordered for the engine fan and am waiting for them. I find your information on your L very interesting and am going to have to contact the museum real soon. Idid take a few more pictures and will try to get them up here if I can remember how I did it! Jakebrake

post-770-1245466510_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 6/14/2009 at 1:45 PM, Orange52Mack said:

A six wheel is a three axle truck whether they are single or dual wheels. It can have 10 individual rims and tires but is considered a six wheeler.

Edited by Phase 1

A six wheel is a three axle truck weather they are single or dual wheels. It can have 10 individual rims and tires but is considered a six wheeler.

Nope. 6 wheel references a two axle truck with duals on the rear. 10 wheel truck refers to a tandem axle.

That is from my BUILD SHEET. Mack may have known what they were talking about.

The term "wheel" references a tire, rim, and center section (be it disc or spoke) and therefore one simply counts the wheels- 6 wheeler, 10 wheeler, 18 wheeler so on and so forth.

That is the origin of those terms, is part of the trucking industry nomenclature, and has been for as far back as I've researched.

Guest 45LMSWM

Nope. 6 wheel references a two axle truck with duals on the rear. 10 wheel truck refers to a tandem axle.

That is from my BUILD SHEET. Mack may have known what they were talking about.

The term "wheel" references a tire, rim, and center section (be it disc or spoke) and therefore one simply counts the wheels- 6 wheeler, 10 wheeler, 18 wheeler so on and so forth.

That is the origin of those terms, is part of the trucking industry nomenclature, and has been for as far back as I've researched.

In "Old School" Mack Nomenclature, the term "six-wheeler" refers to a 3-axle truck, not a 2-axle truck, even though a modern 3-axle truck has 10 wheels and is commonly referred to as a "ten-wheeler", as when speaking about dump-trucks.

Mack referred to 3-axle trucks for many, many years as "six-wheelers", hence the model designation "SW". For example, my 1945 Mack LMSWM is a Mack LM, "Six Wheel" chassis, Mining variant. My 1955 Mack LJSWX is an LJ, "Six-wheeler", "X" for severe/heavy duty application(cant remember the correct term for the "X" but heavy duty is what it refers to).

As far as serial numbers go, serial numbers from @ 1937 to the somewhere around the advent of the B model, were as follows with this example:

LM2DM2163D The first (2) charachters are clearly the model "LM", the "2" is driving axles or tandem, The first "D" is for dual reduction(?), then the 4 or 5 digits, and the last character in this case is a "D" for diesel.

Prior to @ 1937, though I am not sure the exact year it started, serial numbers for Mack Chassis started with the number "4" or "6", depending on the number of engine cylinders( can someone tell me if I am correct on this?), followed by the model, then the number of rear driving axles, drive type, and then the "build number". For instance, my brother's 1934 Mack BX "six wheeler"(ten tires on 3-axles) serial number is 6BX2S****. If the truck was factory equipped with a diesel, the s/n would be followed by a "D" at the very end. The "S" following "6BX2" refers to shaft drive.

If anyone out there could shed more light on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I am not 100% correct as to my understanding of these things, but Mack Trucks for years referred to 3-axle, 10 wheeled trucks as "SIX WHEELERS". No Question about that.

John

Edited by 45LMSWM

John,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will concede to your argument.

It is interesting that they would refer to the number of wheels/axles by that system.

Why would they mention the "conversion" and two different plants on my built sheet? I too would like to know if anyone can shed more light on the subject.

Model T-esque quality control issues perhaps? A clerical error? Very intriguing nonetheless.

In "Old School" Mack Nomenclature, the term "six-wheeler" refers to a 3-axle truck, not a 2-axle truck, even though a modern 3-axle truck has 10 wheels and is commonly referred to as a "ten-wheeler", as when speaking about dump-trucks.

Mack referred to 3-axle trucks for many, many years as "six-wheelers", hence the model designation "SW". For example, my 1945 Mack LMSWM is a Mack LM, "Six Wheel" chassis, Mining variant. My 1955 Mack LJSWX is an LJ, "Six-wheeler", "X" for severe/heavy duty application(cant remember the correct term for the "X" but heavy duty is what it refers to).

As far as serial numbers go, serial numbers from @ 1937 to the somewhere around the advent of the B model, were as follows with this example:

LM2DM2163D The first (2) charachters are clearly the model "LM", the "2" is driving axles or tandem, The first "D" is for dual reduction(?), then the 4 or 5 digits, and the last character in this case is a "D" for diesel.

Prior to @ 1937, though I am not sure the exact year it started, serial numbers for Mack Chassis started with the number "4" or "6", depending on the number of engine cylinders( can someone tell me if I am correct on this?), followed by the model, then the number of rear driving axles, drive type, and then the "build number". For instance, my brother's 1934 Mack BX "six wheeler"(ten tires on 3-axles) serial number is 6BX2S****. If the truck was factory equipped with a diesel, the s/n would be followed by a "D" at the very end. The "S" following "6BX2" refers to shaft drive.

If anyone out there could shed more light on this topic, I would greatly appreciate it. I know I am not 100% correct as to my understanding of these things, but Mack Trucks for years referred to 3-axle, 10 wheeled trucks as "SIX WHEELERS". No Question about that.

John

John,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will concede to your argument.

It is interesting that they would refer to the number of wheels/axles by that system.

Why would they mention the "conversion" and two different plants on my built sheet? I too would like to know if anyone can shed more light on the subject.

Model T-esque quality control issues perhaps? A clerical error? Very intriguing nonetheless.

I have three trucks that have more than one plant, or dealer doing conversions prior to the owner taking possession: My A-40H was sold new in Los Angeles, but configured in both San Diego, and Portland. As built this truck was a single axle, single axle straight truck with a five speed transmission and air brakes. It was shipped to Portland for installation of another five speed, brownie, and tandem axle with a full outside fishplate added. The truck was originall double frame. All of this is documented on Mack stationary before the first owner, (Cora Stone), took possession.

I purchased the truck from the original owner's estate, and the son stated it had always been a dump truck.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Guest 45LMSWM

Hello, in regards to 6 wheeler, 10 wheeler etc, I think a 6 wheeler refers to a 3 axled vehicle, dual rear or not, its just that some wheels are dual and some are single. e.g. 6x6, 4x4, 6x4, 6x2 & 8x4. Just my opinion, regards jeffro

Many of the early Mack AC six-wheelers I have seen, both in person and in photos, had single tires on the drives, not duals. In fact, many of the 2-axle trucks built in the US up until that point only ran single tires on the drive. Two of the most noted restored dual chain drive ACs are this way, one even has single solid rubber tires on the rear. I would "think" that Mack was referring to the number of "wheel hubs" when they decided to call them "six-wheelers", in stead of referring to the quantity of tires/rims. But there I go "thinking" again! I don't think we'll ever figure some of this stuff out.

Reagards,

John