What Kind Of Freight Is Hauled In A Curtainside Trailer?

I've seen these things on the road but don't really understand the viability to them. Is there much benefit over a tarped load? They certainly don't appear very "secure" to me, and water intrusion looks to be a detriment.

Other than ease of loading/unloading what would some useful hauling applications be?

Thanks,

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

A company I use to work for had a customer that required dock loading in northern Indiana, but their customer required side unloading in Texas so we utilized taught-liners (curtain sides) for this customer. The driver swung the doors, backed into the dock and customer loaded trailer, Driver would then pull out, loosen the curtains at the bottom and secured the load with 4 inch straps just as you would a flat bed, then re-secure the bottom of the curtains. These trailers keep water out just as well as a very good tarp job. Many lumber operations used the taught-liners (still do) but the Conastogas have been utilized now with lumber operations as well as a lot of steel haulers using them too.

T.

We used to get these trailers come in at our paper warehouse. They would bring us roll, flat stock paper and cartons for making cardboard boxes. I was a second shift truck driver for a printing company. I would use a roll clamp or a fork lift depending on the requirement. Most of our paper was coming out of Canada. I was alittle skeptical at first going inside of these walless trailers. Just sitting backed up to the dock, the walls would be moving cause of the winds outside. I guess the weight was a concern and that reason is why these trailers were used. Our new trucks were very used and abused from the weight of paper hauled. Our trucks would have to have their front-ends re-aligned twice a year.

mike

We used to get these trailers come in at our paper warehouse. They would bring us roll, flat stock paper and cartons for making cardboard boxes. I was a second shift truck driver for a printing company. I would use a roll clamp or a fork lift depending on the requirement. Most of our paper was coming out of Canada. I was alittle skeptical at first going inside of these walless trailers. Just sitting backed up to the dock, the walls would be moving cause of the winds outside. I guess the weight was a concern and that reason is why these trailers were used. Our new trucks were very used and abused from the weight of paper hauled. Our trucks would have to have their front-ends re-aligned twice a year.

mike

Your mentioning of paper rolls brings back fond memories as I worked for the Illinois State Journal-Register, (Copley Press) when we were a young family starting out, (long time ago). I used to deliver newpaper bundles to the rural communities in central, and western IL. These were literally "Hot off the press". They printed the paper there and trucks would come in with either two giant, or four smaller rolls on them. They were shrink wrapped very tightly and were always tarped, hauled on flatbeds with three axles. There was an extension to the building that had an overhead bridge crane and all four rolls of paper could be unloaded, and placed onto a conveyor for routing within 10 minutes. Really smooth operation and nobody even got wet. It took the driver more time to unhook the tarp and roll it up on the roller at the front of the trailer than to unload the deck.

Man that was a good job while it lasted. In 1981, they went to contract hauling and the job I was offered as replacement of cleaning presses did not interest me at all. It did however, pay well.

I left for "greener" pastures.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Rob,

Curtainsides indeed do haul a pretty wide variety of products.

They tend to be a little hard to pull with all of the parasite drag

of a relatively loose curtain. And the curtains frequently require attention.

But, as mentioned, almost anything that goes on a flat trailer can

go in a curtainside. And the ability to secure the load then lower and

secure the curtain is a real benefit.

In fact, a step deck with a curtain kit makes a pretty good antique truck hauler.

We have used them to take delivery of all sorts of building products. We see them

loaded with metal products and steel stock as well.

All of our hardwood comes to us in soft-sides from people like Rex Lumber and

Thruway Hardwoods.

Siding products from Erie Materials often come on a curtainside with a truck mounted

forklift on the tail.

If you look around, I think there are a lot of soft-sided trailers on the road.

They really are pretty handy.

Paul VS

Alot of the local steel hauling companies are converting over to curtains. Don't have to worry about a guy falling off a load while throwing tarps. Doesn't take but a minute to slide it forward/back and lock it down. No bows/side kits to mess with either.

I'm sure there are downsides, like wear/tear, but think it's a pretty good set up from what I've seen. Had a few deliver here at work and got to see it first hand. Usually the rookies get tarps, the vets get curtains.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I've seen these things on the road but don't really understand the viability to them. Is there much benefit over a tarped load? They certainly don't appear very "secure" to me, and water intrusion looks to be a detriment.

Other than ease of loading/unloading what would some useful hauling applications be?

Thanks,

Rob

They are pretty much a flat bed with a roof and curtains that either slide open or roll up. You secure the cargo like you would on a flat deck and it stays dry like in a van trailer. They are much stronger due to them being a flatbed using beams for the frame rather than using the multiple smaller beams as in a dry van trailer. Buy they are also heavier then a typical dry van trailer.

You see plenty down under where the ability to load from the side is a must.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

They are pretty much a flat bed with a roof and curtains that either slide open or roll up. You secure the cargo like you would on a flat deck and it stays dry like in a van trailer. They are much stronger due to them being a flatbed using beams for the frame rather than using the multiple smaller beams as in a dry van trailer. Buy they are also heavier then a typical dry van trailer.

You see plenty down under where the ability to load from the side is a must.

The only bad thing that I've heard about curtains is if you have to back into a very narrow dock, The curtain can get bunched up on the sides when it is slid up. Other than that, they look like they are quick and easy.

Doesn't take but a minute to slide it forward/back and lock it down. No bows/side kits to mess with either.

Larry,

That would be a conestoga wagon. The "curtain sides" have a solid roof, front and swing rear doors with soft sides and a removable support on each side. You can load and unload with an overhead crane on a conestoga, but not on a "curtain side".

These are taughtliners or "curtain sides". I couldn't find any pics on line of conestogas.

T.

post-45-1236643884.jpg

post-45-1236643894.jpg

Here's a "conestoga" with a twist.. drop deck with a hydraulic tail. IIRC, George Tackaberry was so impressed with the trailer that brought his Highbinder to Macungie he bought the trailer along with the trucks.

post-2411-1236644920_thumb.jpg

post-2411-1236644941_thumb.jpg

Larry,

That would be a conestoga wagon. The "curtain sides" have a solid roof, front and swing rear doors with soft sides and a removable support on each side. You can load and unload with an overhead crane on a conestoga, but not on a "curtain side".

These are taughtliners or "curtain sides". I couldn't find any pics on line of conestogas.

T.

Hello, we have lots of Tautliners down here, we load every thing from the wool bales in pic to amonium nitrate bulka bags for the minesites to just general freight! they normaly have gates inside the curtains however in this pic I have no gates up as the wool bales are like hauling a beached whale and dont fit inside the gates! I hate the things, the curtain rails are never maintained properly and they stick.

in this pic there is 220 bales of wool on this load, I was heading to Melbourne from Perth with a GCM of 62tons I was leaving perth around 9 to 10 pm on tuesday nite and ariving in melbourne midnite thursday nite to unload friday morning, melbourne is 3600kms away from perth. the wool allways shifts and moves and your forever retensioning straps.

Grant

post-2194-1236690985_thumb.jpg

Larry,

T.

:unsure:

Oops. Ya got me. I've seen the "true curtainside" too, but wasn't thinking of them.

Larry

Alot of the local steel hauling companies are converting over to curtains. Don't have to worry about a guy falling off a load while throwing tarps. Doesn't take but a minute to slide it forward/back and lock it down. No bows/side kits to mess with either.

I'm sure there are downsides, like wear/tear, but think it's a pretty good set up from what I've seen. Had a few deliver here at work and got to see it first hand. Usually the rookies get tarps, the vets get curtains.

Larry, I'm sure you've seen Baker Highway Express trucks in your area. They're out of Dover, and shut down in December. Todd just got a couple of their Conestogas, we already had a couple, but I haven't pulled one yet. A lot of the the big time steel haulers use them now-I'd go to IDS in Macedonia to load and there'd be a Conestoga in the next bay and he'd be loaded, chained down, slid the sides back, and out the door while I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get started. That's the best feature, I think anyway, it might take me 30 minutes to tarp a load and it might take 3 minutes to slide the sides back on a Conestoga and fasten them. They are a bit wider though because of the rails at the bottom.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Ya, Baker is just an empty lot now.

Logan is using alot more conestogas, as their lot is next to my buddy's machine shop.

I can imagine the time savings, and insurance claims from falls will drop.

Larry

Conestoga at Fairplain, W.V. Go-Mart. Another Conestoga at our yard. Same conestoga being loaded with Mullite- the forklift was too tall so I had to open the sides. They are also wider because of the rails the sides roll on, 106". You can see the edge of the 96 wide trailer at the corner marker light in the mirror, they stick out this much on both sides. I've got a load of steel coils loaded on it now.

Mornin Tom,

I have not seen this kind of set-up. All the ones I saw had frames and regular doors, but the curtains were on the sides. I've been away from trucks since Sept. 1989 when the printing co. I worked for layed 203 of us off. I was in the warehouse division at that time. There were guys that had 32 years with that co. been their since teenagers, knew no other job and let go. I have seen only one of these guys since the permanant layoff. The boss that I worked for lived on a farm all of his life. Was bushhogging to help someone he knew. They were just starting their first pass around the edge of the field when my boss hit a log that was covered by weeds. The front of the tractor jumped up and threw him off between the bushhogg and tractor. It got him, the tractor kept on going until it crossed a major hwy. and hit a dirt bank. Vanderbilt Life Flight came and picked him up, but he died on the way. He was in his early 60's when this happened to him. Had been exposed to farming all of his life and was a very level headed person. I sometimes feel like the mouse and the hawk is always looking.

mike

Mornin Tom,

I have not seen this kind of set-up. All the ones I saw had frames and regular doors, but the curtains were on the sides. I've been away from trucks since Sept. 1989 when the printing co. I worked for layed 203 of us off. I was in the warehouse division at that time. There were guys that had 32 years with that co. been their since teenagers, knew no other job and let go. I have seen only one of these guys since the permanant layoff. The boss that I worked for lived on a farm all of his life. Was bushhogging to help someone he knew. They were just starting their first pass around the edge of the field when my boss hit a log that was covered by weeds. The front of the tractor jumped up and threw him off between the bushhogg and tractor. It got him, the tractor kept on going until it crossed a major hwy. and hit a dirt bank. Vanderbilt Life Flight came and picked him up, but he died on the way. He was in his early 60's when this happened to him. Had been exposed to farming all of his life and was a very level headed person. I sometimes feel like the mouse and the hawk is always looking.

mike

The time to exit comes suddenly sometimes. Truly a sad story, and tragic.

Those conestoga wagon type trailers do not look inexpensive to acquire, or maintain but I have no experience.

Rob

Larry, I'm sure you've seen Baker Highway Express trucks in your area. They're out of Dover, and shut down in December. Todd just got a couple of their Conestogas, we already had a couple, but I haven't pulled one yet. A lot of the the big time steel haulers use them now-I'd go to IDS in Macedonia to load and there'd be a Conestoga in the next bay and he'd be loaded, chained down, slid the sides back, and out the door while I was scratching my head trying to figure out how to get started. That's the best feature, I think anyway, it might take me 30 minutes to tarp a load and it might take 3 minutes to slide the sides back on a Conestoga and fasten them. They are a bit wider though because of the rails at the bottom.

Why did Baker close? I remember that all their trucks were ultra-light units. Aluminum frames, fuel tanks, air tanks, wheels, and on and on. They even had air start so the truck only had one battery instead of four. They spec'd their East flatbeds light. Fewer crossmembers in some areas, super single tires, no spare, you get the idea. Sad to not see the green Baker Highway trucks on the road.

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

Why did Baker close? I remember that all their trucks were ultra-light units. Aluminum frames, fuel tanks, air tanks, wheels, and on and on. They even had air start so the truck only had one battery instead of four. They spec'd their East flatbeds light. Fewer crossmembers in some areas, super single tires, no spare, you get the idea. Sad to not see the green Baker Highway trucks on the road.

I don't know why they shut down. Jeff and Todd went to the sale when they auctioned their equipment and Jeff said it sold really cheap. They bought 2 of the Conestogas for less than they paid for one when they bought it new.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Rob I still do it the good ole fashion way. However I would love to do it the conastoga way. No matter the the fellas with the side kits only have me beat by about 20 minutes unless the load is seriously ugly in that case there is lots of cursing and thinking going on under that little black hat.

matt

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

Well Rob I still do it the good ole fashion way. However I would love to do it the conastoga way. No matter the fellas with the side kits only have me beat by about 20 minutes unless the load is seriously ugly in that case there is lots of cursing and thinking going on under that little black hat.

matt

post-2321-1238268693_thumb.jpg

post-2321-1238268797_thumb.jpg

THE GREATEST NAME IN TRUCKS

MACK TRUCKS

In New Zealand 75% of the rigs on the road are curtainsiders, and many versions of it as well, some step decks have alloy ramps at the rear hinged behind the doors, so you can drive in with cargo or forklifts, raised by air rams, some have the support poles on the outside and are used as tipping units full of woodchips etc, then backload general freight., another variation has the slide rails extend pass the body towards the cab, so that the curtains can be pulled clear of the body while loading etc.

50% of the curtainsiders are 8x4 truck towing 4 axle trailers, the rest is Btrain units and semi trailers, and round town delivery on 4x2 or 6x4 trucks.