Federal Scrapping Program

TGP

This needs some serious action on our part if we want to keep our old rig's.

Urgent Action Alert

Oppose Federal Vehicle Scrappage Program

Washington lawmakers are drafting a large economic stimulus package to help create jobs and rebuild infrastructure. They want to include a nationwide scrappage program which would give U.S. tax dollars to consumers who turn-in older cars to have them crushed, as a misguided attempt to spur new car sales. The lawmakers need to scrap this idea.

The stimulus package is being drafted right now. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) wants to introduce the bill on January 6 and have it approved by Congress by January 20, so that President Obama can sign it into law after he is inaugurated.

Contact House Speaker Nancy Pelosi IMMEDIATELY To Oppose Cash for Clunkers!

Call: 202/225-0100

Click here to send an electronic message: http://speaker.house.gov/contact/

the entire article, plus the talking points can be seen here:

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62498

----

You can also easily find out who your representative is and contact them as well, by going here:

http://www.votesmart.org

TGP

TGP

64 B61S

49 LF

47 WDX

52 M37

I had that info posted at the ATHS website, but it was deleted as the thread turned very political and apparently there was some "mudslinging" among some of the posters. Personally I oppose any "Clunker" legislation as (as has been mentioned) they tend to be misguided attempts to make for a better enviroment.

I remember back in the 70's they were starting "clunker" programs. They didn't work because groups like SEMA were able to curtail or stop most of them. Yes things are better now. I've been behind the old city buses that spewed smoke, cars that looked like skeeter foggers, and trucks that smoked so bad you couldn't see the traffic light that they just went through. We can now eat fish from Lake Erie. The Cuyahoga river hasn't caught fire since then. Fortunately we have learned how to make engines more efficient and cleaner. The big problem lies with people like Nasty Pelosi and Ill Gore who don't think this is good enough and they might have the power to do what they want. Those two people are the biggest hypocrats when it comes to the environment. They can't seem to wrap their brain around the fact that there are more vehicles on the roads now but pollution continues to drop! They just want more, now, and it has gotten to the point of minimal return. I think those two are on a power trip. Carbon credit? Who gets that money? Carbon footprint? How do you measure that one? I'd like to put my size 11 steel toe wrapped in animal hide up Ill Gores methane producer and leave my BOOTPRINT!!!

#1 on A-model registry

If I drink because of work, why can't I drink at work?

I Sent Mis Pelosi my opinion, i know i am just a small voice in this county but you can,t complain if you at least don,t let your voice be heard, More of our Tax payers money going to dumb ideals, i wonder who is behind this really. i am sure you can,t scrap a 91 Jeep and get a good down payment for a new one

• 7 years later...

They tried this b.s once before ended up scrapping a lot of cars and trucks with components that interchange forward! Required the engines to be filled with epoxy so the vehicles couldn't be sold as driving vehicles,but destroyed some engines that were still viable for later model pickups 350 chevys big block Ford's and Gm products that street Rodders like.We should all join SEMA like the street Rodgers do!Heck,almost half antique big truck folks are street Rodders too! Is there any way to disable cotton picking spellchecker lol! Mark my words they're coming after our big trucks next!

A month ago I went To a local Truck salvage yard to get some filter parts and look around I found the yard had been closed I went to see the owner and ask him about some parts and we went to see what we could find on the way over there he said that he had sold all Mack engines and engine parts to some one that was sending them all to Vietnam 3 truck loads old and newer engines and parts . I looked around and nothing Mack remained .

• Like 1

About  6mos. Ago I took some Scrap metal to my local salvage yard,The foreman told me that salvage yards are going out of business right and left! This place is a small auto salvage yard that also takes scrap metal and aluminum cans.Not all salvage yards do. Scrap metal was the lowest in price I've seen in 20 years!There is only one scrap metal (not auto salvage) yard in the whole Tampa bay area to take junk cars and scrap metal to.It is owned by a conglomerate that owns all or most scrap metal yards in the southeast! When the auto and truck salvage yards are gone where will we get our used parts? Answer: we won't,we will have to buy overpriced and possibly unreliable new parts! And when we can no longer maintain our used cars and trucks,we will be forced to buy even more overpriced new cars and big trucks! I'm retired, but I hear all the problems  you guys have with your late model trucks.90percent of which is electronics,sensers,and other emissions related bulls..t!

6 minutes ago, BillyT said:

About  6mos. Ago I took some Scrap metal to my local salvage yard,The foreman told me that salvage yards are going out of business right and left! This place is a small auto salvage yard that also takes scrap metal and aluminum cans.Not all salvage yards do. Scrap metal was the lowest in price I've seen in 20 years!There is only one scrap metal (not auto salvage) yard in the whole Tampa bay area to take junk cars and scrap metal to.It is owned by a conglomerate that owns all or most scrap metal yards in the southeast! When the auto and truck salvage yards are gone where will we get our used parts? Answer: we won't,we will have to buy overpriced and possibly unreliable new parts! And when we can no longer maintain our used cars and trucks,we will be forced to buy even more overpriced new cars and big trucks! I'm retired, but I hear all the problems  you guys have with your late model trucks.90percent of which is electronics,sensers,and other emissions related bulls..t!

Should've gone on & spelt it out 

BULLSHIT!!

• Like 1

Take an honest look at the situation: America buys 15 million new cars a year, about 50,000 a day. Thus around the same number of old cars are scrapped, and most scrapyards don't have space to store them for long. And while we're looking for a part to keep our valuable Macks or classic cars running, most of the cars getting scrapped are plain old F-150s and Camrys with no enduring value... Thus little market for their parts. Unfortunately most scrapyards give classic Macks and restorable collector cars the same path to the crusher... All they care about is scrap metal prices!

15 hours ago, TeamsterGrrrl said:

Take an honest look at the situation: America buys 15 million new cars a year, about 50,000 a day. Thus around the same number of old cars are scrapped, and most scrapyards don't have space to store them for long. And while we're looking for a part to keep our valuable Macks or classic cars running, most of the cars getting scrapped are plain old F-150s and Camrys with no enduring value... Thus little market for their parts. Unfortunately most scrapyards give classic Macks and restorable collector cars the same path to the crusher... All they care about is scrap metal prices!

ive seen that myself,,,generally they will keep them for 6 or so months,,and if no parts are moving off them they crush them...bob