Broken axle shaft

Broke the rear rear axle shaft in my RD. What is the procedure just remove the old one and try to fish out any pieces of metal and slide new one in? Does the diff have to come out to be inspected? Is it ok to source a new axle from a salvage yard or should I buy OEM or aftermarket or what? Any advice is much appreciated thank you 

Well, you really need to pull the gear sets out.  There will be chunks laying in the bottom. Where did the shaft snap? Did you drive a long time with it broken? I will post more after you post answers, pics of the axle will help, salvage yard axle just needs to be checked, look for sharp splines..

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Depends where it broke. Out at the hub or in at the differential? If it broke by the hub you should be fine to pull the pieces and shove a new axle in. Note the differential sits off to the right on Camelback suspension so the axle shafts are different lengths left vs right. Also the spline count and axle thickness can vary depending on your specs, so I'd just go to the dealer for one most likely.

My dad used to score the axleshafts a little out by the hub.  Then my older brothers moved on to other careers and now we don't have to score our axles anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Depends where it broke. Out at the hub or in at the differential? If it broke by the hub you should be fine to pull the pieces and shove a new axle in. Note the differential sits off to the right on Camelback suspension so the axle shafts are different lengths left vs right. Also the spline count and axle thickness can vary depending on your specs, so I'd just go to the dealer for one most likely.

My dad used to score the axleshafts a little out by the hub.  Then my older brothers moved on to other careers and now we don't have to score our axles anymore.

Wise ole dad there! 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

WTH! The one and only axle l ever broke (25yrs ago) was scored by the hub. Mechanic popped the hub and lassoed the shaft with a piece of wire. Dragged the bottom of the axle housing with half a large washer wielded on a small rod. Cleaned all the unauthorized pieces out and installed the new axle and l was on my way. Still have the damn axle in my garage as a reminder of what not to do again.

I don't know if they still score their axles or not since l moved along also Joe.  lol      .....Hippy 

My one brother managed to break an axle on our dm686SX!!! Those shafts are thick!! He was starting out on a hill, and decided he would use the parking brake to hold the truck while he got the clutch ready.  Only he misjudged, the parking brake takes about 5 seconds to release on ths truck. He went all in on trying to go and.... Roadside repair.

I reckon it be driven out 

But if you have cross locks ??

I remember a mate had axles out for some reason

His son, maybe only 2 or 3 years of age put sockets in the axle housing to help his daddy

Daddy shoved the axle and the sockets and all ended up im the middle 😄

Gotta love them kids

Paul 

• Haha 1

Well, hopefully no pieces got into the differential inside the bull gear.  Good luck..

14 hours ago, Straydog954 said:

You don’t think it can be driven out after removing the other side ?

I'd expect there's enough room between the differential and the axle tubes that the bits of axle would fall into the oil, but it's been a very long time since I've had a differential out of one of these.

There is some space below the axle. The bull gear is very close to the bottom if the sump, and that thick oil can allow the bullgear to pick up chunks and bring them up to the spur shaft .

I've never seen a clean break in there. Usually to some extent the axle shatters. Even if you do manage to get the broken piece out of the side gear and out the housing, your proud feeling of accomplishment fades fast when you hold it again the other part and realize lots of axle is missing.  This is most often a case of the longest route actually being the shortest.

with both axles removed take two long broom handles or what ever round wooden poles available. TAKES GOOD TEAM WORK !! slowly push the wooden handles in from both sides same time. hoping piece is large enough one pushes on broken piece while other holds just enough tension against it . basically sandwich the broken piece between two handles. if successful , put broken piece in place against axle  determine just how much is missing. I know proper method is removing carrier for flush/ inspect. when on side of road ; not best place to remove carrier. and when owner doesn't want to pay for wrecker. I know been there done that.  challenge is that space ring gear/ spiders to  axle housing.  clean drain pan , remove drain  plug  chunks fall out disregard every thing above ; your screwed.

• Like 1

The old timer that taught me Mack stuff, showed me to clean the oarts with break clean, then use crazy glue to put the puzzle together. Then i was able to determine what was missing.  Sometimes it helped to tell me where it came from.. Mech,, you remind me of him..  Earl Harnden... R.I.P.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:48 PM, 70mackMB said:

WTH! The one and only axle l ever broke (25yrs ago) was scored by the hub. Mechanic popped the hub and lassoed the shaft with a piece of wire. Dragged the bottom of the axle housing with half a large washer wielded on a small rod. Cleaned all the unauthorized pieces out and installed the new axle and l was on my way. Still have the damn axle in my garage as a reminder of what not to do again.

I don't know if they still score their axles or not since l moved along also Joe.  lol      .....Hippy 

Unauthorized pieces...that's hilarious! Why did they score the axles?

1 hour ago, h67st said:

Unauthorized pieces...that's hilarious! Why did they score the axles?

It creates a weak spot out by the hub, so they break there instead of breaking all the way in. A lot easier to replace an axle broken at the hub than deep inside.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You just score a ring around the axle shaft near the hub, and now if it breaks it's guaranteed to break where you scored it. If it breaks deep inside, you have to pull both axles if it's gonna get towed so you don't spin the differential around and pick chunks up and eat a rear.  Just a lot cheaper and faster repair to have the break at the hub.

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

You just score a ring around the axle shaft near the hub, and now if it breaks it's guaranteed to break where you scored it. If it breaks deep inside, you have to pull both axles if it's gonna get towed so you don't spin the differential around and pick chunks up and eat a rear.  Just a lot cheaper and faster repair to have the break at the hub.

another day of learning. can't recall anyone "scoring" axles. makes a lot of sense . never had a fleet/owner do the scoring process. since the number of broken axles is relatively small, is scoring asking for situations?? same as cutting glass= score the glass it breaks on the line. Father was the best at glass cutting=back on topic . 

Scoring it you more or less guarantee it's going to break, unless your driver is smooth. But if you have a problematic driver like my brothers seemed to be you gotta do what you have to do...