Long Time Lurker, Current Parts guy

i know not mack related, but parts related. 

my ford dealer had two old timers in the parts department that ran the "off the street" counter.

the dealership got complaints about them being slow, why dont you put younger guys on the counter.

but you could go in there and get anything you wanted for any year vehicle if it was available. 

one day Ed was out sick and one of the kids was at his station. i needed a suspension part for my 7 litre. the kid was useless ." 7 litre? ford never made one" because it was not listed in the computer menue. 

chuck overheard the conversation and told the kid to get lost, walked over the the "broken TV they won't get rid of" opened the drawer under it, put a slide under it, turned the "TV" on, and within 1 minute had the part number for the bushing i needed. 30 seconds later he had the revised part number and ordered it. 

i was informed when i went to pick up the part two days later that a message came from dealer owner that all parts men required to know how to use the microfiche machine.

and it was still in use at the front counter until two years ago. 

unfortunately both Ed and Chuck retired end of last year. Ed is 81, and Chuck is 78

the microfiche machine and files now lives in the parts managers office.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 minutes ago, tjc transport said:

i know not mack related, but parts related. 

my ford dealer had two old timers in the parts department that ran the "off the street" counter.

the dealership got complaints about them being slow, why dont you put younger guys on the counter.

but you could go in there and get anything you wanted for any year vehicle if it was available. 

one day Ed was out sick and one of the kids was at his station. i needed a suspension part for my 7 litre. the kid was useless ." 7 litre? ford never made one" because it was not listed in the computer menue. 

chuck overheard the conversation and told the kid to get lost, walked over the the "broken TV they won't get rid of" opened the drawer under it, put a slide under it, turned the "TV" on, and within 1 minute had the part number for the bushing i needed. 30 seconds later he had the revised part number and ordered it. 

i was informed when i went to pick up the part two days later that a message came from dealer owner that all parts men required to know how to use the microfiche machine.

and it was still in use at the front counter until two years ago. 

it now lives in the parts managers office.

Like Heinz  was saying the Japanese trucks are the worst! We had a Hino line for a few years they were in the dark ages as far as parts look up  when computers were well under way here they used the micro fic for years after! must be a translation thing don't know! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fjh said:

Like Heinz  was saying the Japanese trucks are the worst! We had a Hino line for a few years they were in the dark ages as far as parts look up  when computers were well under way here they used the micro fic for years after! must be a translation thing don't know! 

opinion only ; the hino line may be in the dark ages for parts . as a privately owned = not a fleet truck , I had a  '93 FA hino which I bought  C&C brand new to  replace a tired /worn '77 F-350flat bed. did serious studies checking ford 350/ GMC /UD / and others. dual wheel ford with box between cab and flat bed dump was so long it needed 16 acres to turn. company I worked for had a fleet of them. the FA with  large "toolbox"  ( I could/did climb in to sleep) behind cab in front of flatbed  dump and exhaust brake could /did spin in tight circle. it worked well for me .owned it from '93 to 2011. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Quite Honestly and this is ( My opinion)  The Best parts training in my mind is for the parts guy to spend six Months in the Shop with a good Mechanic! See what Parts  he has to change AND Why ! 😪  A younger parts guy with the computer  savy is best for that Impact program as its so user unfriendly😡 !  I observed when we change from Real Mack To Volvo Mack The older parts guys struggled more with the Impact Program! How ever Experience second to none when it it comes to finding stuff really helps,  just like the shop end Experience is A big important  portion  of both jobs ! I was fortunate I worked in a shop I was allowed to follow the parts guy to parts locations so new where  to get stuff ! It got harder when Volvo screwed with things as the numbers had no meaning Just an assigned number!

saw the same thing when Mack was bought out by another dealership. old timers that had volumes of knowledge in their brain cells  couldn't keep up or deal with the computer systems that came in. two mechanics and a parts guy quit . I learned sooo much from these people. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 3:37 PM, The Heinz said:

Hey ya'll, I've been lurking long enough I figured it was time to make an account. I've been a parts salesman at a Mack dealer for 3 years now with 3 years of Mack fleet technician experience prior. For the past 3 years I've been working as the shop parts salesman here, which flowed nicely with my previous experience, and has enhanced my knowledge and love for old Macks. Sadly, the oldest truck we've had so far has been in the early 90's, but my love for the days of semis long past keeps me invested in the field. That and my ever-increasing hatred of Volvo and the bastardization of the Mack name. Yes, a 26 year old is allowed to have good taste. 

I'll try to browse the Parts Wanted section to see if there's anything I can help with, but unfortunately my resources only cover trucks that are so old. Anything to help the cause! 

Would like to know what the deepest youve gone into the 90s with mack parts availability. I have been creeping around on marketplace and thinking about buying a truck with an E6 in it, does mack still have rebuild kits for them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Mack said:

Have you searched for the kits from PAI?

Yes, I have. They are super low cost! Is that what you guys here are using nowadays? My thought process is I can't afford to be cheap because it costs more typically.

well i have 10+ engines out there with PAI kits.  All doing good.  do you have Macks part numbers for what you want?  what engine series are you specifically looing for? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Big Mack Truck said:

Yes, I have. They are super low cost! Is that what you guys here are using nowadays? My thought process is I can't afford to be cheap because it costs more typically.

You can't go far wrong with pai parts ! 

Buddy of mine is going through a Ford engine right now. He was just telling me his piston rings 3/4 of them are off. That just sucks… he was saying he was sorry he didn’t just go for a rebuilt short block instead of trying to do it all himself 69 Mustang. Bob

I also use PAI for transmission repairs as well,  Rear ends got rebuilt at another shop, also with PAI parts.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I also use PAI for transmission repairs as well,  Rear ends got rebuilt at another shop, also with PAI parts.  

That is something I find quite comforting. 10 trucks using those kits is quite the level of field testing and confidence 

• Like 1

yes sir, it is..  and those are full re-builds,  not including other engine repairs ive done like oil pumps, water pumps, heads, gasket kits, etc. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yes sir, it is..  and those are full re-builds,  not including other engine repairs ive done like oil pumps, water pumps, heads, gasket kits, etc. 

We would use the synchro kit from PAI over Mack solely  for the price for 13/18 sp mack trans! Every bit as good ! we  Never used PAI for Gears How ever I wouldn't hesitate if given a choice! We have a place local here quicker to deal with for gears  as down time is important to most guys  as well! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I'll 

On 3/8/2024 at 6:43 PM, Big Mack Truck said:

Would like to know what the deepest youve gone into the 90s with mack parts availability. I have been creeping around on marketplace and thinking about buying a truck with an E6 in it, does mack still have rebuild kits for them?

I'd have to find a VIN or part number for one, we don't see ANY E6's here. I know from past research that Mack still makes E7 rebuild kits/short blocks, usually per order. I've used PAI for smaller parts a little bit, Lippert as well. Automann has been the most helpful for me lately. 

E-7's ? short blocks from Mack???  Hell,  I tried to get an E-Tech re-man and was told to  send my engine to the re-man center and IF they can rebuild it it would be 6-9 months...  because they didnt have that engine in stock...  Its no mystery why I use PAI parts,, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

E-7's ? short blocks from Mack???  Hell,  I tried to get an E-Tech re-man and was told to  send my engine to the re-man center and IF they can rebuild it it would be 6-9 months...  because they didnt have that engine in stock...  Its no mystery why I use PAI parts,, 

In the last 2 years I was quoted between 18,000 ans 19,000 for a rebuild in the Salt Lake city area. You think it could have different answers based on location?

13 hours ago, mowerman said:

Buddy of mine is going through a Ford engine right now. He was just telling me his piston rings 3/4 of them are off. That just sucks… he was saying he was sorry he didn’t just go for a rebuilt short block instead of trying to do it all himself 69 Mustang. Bob

id tell him to keep pushing through, you learn a huge amount of how you motor works and interchangeability by doing and touching it yourself. also he's keeping usable parts out the landfill 

if he shares his knowledge on these forums we all dually benefit from his effort. im also tearing down a ford motor i never knew existed. 6.22l inline 6 diesel, mechanical pump...... elegantly simple.  came in farm trators, road trators, dollies and trucks overseas. alot of commonlly available parts that no literature mentions that would be compatible. would not know unless i held part in my hand and seen this might fit such-n-such.  this is how you become one of the guys with a wealth of knowledge..... by doing.

Edited by glenbjackson
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

Parts search may be real adventure sometimes with big respect from a customer if the turnout is good. Not big matter you supply needs of the shop guys or work at the desk. And even no matter you work at a particular brand dealership. Parts sales experience gives you universal skill to be able to sell parts for anything:) Just keep an open mind paying attention to nuances and especially to complicated cases. Experience grows up not when you grap a marked part from a shelf and give it into customrer's hands but when you also point in your mind what that part was for and the case it became needed. At least in general. Make your brain working while other folks just play their smartphones and you will find out yourself standing out pretty soon!

Vlad

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

9 hours ago, glenbjackson said:

id tell him to keep pushing through, you learn a huge amount of how you motor works and interchangeability by doing and touching it yourself. also he's keeping usable parts out the landfill 

if he shares his knowledge on these forums we all dually benefit from his effort. im also tearing down a ford motor i never knew existed. 6.22l inline 6 diesel, mechanical pump...... elegantly simple.  came in farm trators, road trators, dollies and trucks overseas. alot of commonlly available parts that no literature mentions that would be compatible. would not know unless i held part in my hand and seen this might fit such-n-such.  this is how you become one of the guys with a wealth of knowledge..... by doing.

that would be a Ford Lehman diesel.. 120 HP at 2500 RPM. 

very popular in europe . not so much here. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..