Long Time Lurker, Current Parts guy

Welcome to the Dog Pound..  I'm curious where you are a Parts guy..  I'm in Salisbury..   If you dont care to post it, thats ok..  I bet you will be able to help the guys with MP's and MDrives..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Welcome to the Dog Pound..  I'm curious where you are a Parts guy..  I'm in Salisbury..   If you dont care to post it, thats ok..  I bet you will be able to help the guys with MP's and MDrives..

I don't exactly want to make it public, but I'm not super far from you. MP's and mDrives are absolutely my biggest money maker, that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

There absolutely are! I found this forum trying to research parts for an older E7 ETECH one time, and kept coming back since. The forum was extremely helpful in giving me info while researching the Jake assembly on a different ETECH. Lots and lots of amazing information here. 

37 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

I don't exactly want to make it public, but I'm not super far from you. MP's and mDrives are absolutely my biggest money maker, that's for sure. 

Key is money maker! Hate em or not you still have work! And will do for quite awhile 🤣 ! don't forget All the manufacturers are facing the same issues Volvo/Mack are .I respect your statement also ! But  you need to step back in the line thou  some !  us old guys got seniority when it comes to the Volvo trash hatein ! They certainly trashed the parts system ! The old Mack parts system made parts guys look like heroes most of the time! Didn't need a book or computer to find stuff most of the time! Now you get the blank stare when you go to the parts counter! And its not all because the people are totally stupid! Note if you need to cross reference stuff get your self a PAI account There site works well for this if they have the part your looking for! 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fjh said:

Key is money maker! Hate em or not you still have work! And will do for quite awhile 🤣 ! don't forget All the manufacturers are facing the same issues Volvo/Mack are .I respect your statement you need to step back in the line thou  some us old guys got seniority when it comes to the Volvo trash hatein ! They certainly trashed the parts system ! The old Mack parts system made parts guys look like heroes most of the time! Didn't need a book or computer to find stuff most of the time! Now you get the blank stare when you go to the parts counter! And its not all because the people are totally stupid!

Haha, I still respect my elders, I was raised that way. I can't imagine watching a prestigious brand like Mack get dragged into the dirt by a European truck maker. I agree that Impact can be really bad (nowhere near as bad as looking up UD parts, that company is an abomination), and the majority of parts guys are lost most of the time. I like to believe I stand out from them however! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

Haha, I still respect my elders, I was raised that way. I can't imagine watching a prestigious brand like Mack get dragged into the dirt by a European truck maker. I agree that Impact can be really bad (nowhere near as bad as looking up UD parts, that company is an abomination), and the majority of parts guys are lost most of the time. I like to believe I stand out from them however! 

The problem with impact is the search or lack there of in my opinion! Cummins has it all over these guys in the repair and parts area!

I GREATLY prefer Cummins over any other lookup. It actually makes sense and, like you said, actually has a functioning search. The only issue with Cummins is the Aftertreatment Device section, but that's because the OEM never sends them what device was installed at the factory, so Cummins lists all the available parts. At least Impact will show those parts, but Hino/Isuzu couldn't care less.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The Heinz said:

I GREATLY prefer Cummins over any other lookup. It actually makes sense and, like you said, actually has a functioning search. The only issue with Cummins is the Aftertreatment Device section, but that's because the OEM never sends them what device was installed at the factory, so Cummins lists all the available parts. At least Impact will show those parts, but Hino/Isuzu couldn't care less.  

Yup I'm not a Cummins lover by any means But they  Do have a common sense  approach to repair for the most part ! Unlike Volvo ! And if you have a Cummins in a Mack/volvo  you have the politics and finger pointing when shit goes wrong! Your problem , not My  problem bs with the customer caught in the middle! when it should be a TEAM effort! !

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Heinz said:

I like to believe I stand out from them however!

You likely do !!! Or you wouldn't be posting here!  Most guys don't Care!  Just a Job ! Keeping an open mind! Google stuff use what ever at your disposal to find stuff for people is key! Problem is its time consuming ! and you got folks coming at you from every direction mechanics customers ect ! Compounded by an antiquated poorly designed  computer system! Could be so easy if the Impact was set up correctly! Unfortunately they hired the wrong people with the wrong mindset to design it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Careful Jojo.....don't forget keyway guy 🤣

6 hours ago, fjh said:

Key is money maker! Hate em or not you still have work! And will do for quite awhile 🤣 ! don't forget All the manufacturers are facing the same issues Volvo/Mack are .I respect your statement also ! But  you need to step back in the line thou  some !  us old guys got seniority when it comes to the Volvo trash hatein ! They certainly trashed the parts system ! The old Mack parts system made parts guys look like heroes most of the time! Didn't need a book or computer to find stuff most of the time! Now you get the blank stare when you go to the parts counter! And its not all because the people are totally stupid! Note if you need to cross reference stuff get your self a PAI account There site works well for this if they have the part your looking for! 

the old Mack system worked much better many times due to the number/ cross reference area was stored in the parts mans head. wouldn't /couldn't count times  a customer walked in , only had to say "doin brakes on the Mack"= only thing part man said was " same grade block ?" answer was yes; he went back to shelf brought out a box of brake block and 3/8 brass bolts. NO vin number/ serial number (and list goes on ). then things got so screwed up the parts depended on THE MONTH the truck was manufactured NOT just yr / vin and bul-sh-t. like frank Sinatra sings "OH THE GOOD LIFE " sorry frank it's gone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I dont know the keyway guy..  should I ??  :) 

Yup you bitched about him a week or two ago!
😂or maybe it was someone else!?

yes,,  I remember,, I was just reminded on another thread..   wouldnt it be funny if he was the guy?   Karma???  I really dont hate him, just the crappy training..  

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

yes,,  I remember,, I was just reminded on another thread..   wouldnt it be funny if he was the guy?   Karma???  I really dont hate him, just the crappy training..  

don’t lie you hate his guts! 😂

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Yeah I'd say so. Bad parts counter service is almost entirely the fault of the company's system and training not the individual employee (although sometimes the guy might just be an a hole). And to be fair, getting yelled at by old farts all day ought to get old when its the system that's at fault.

Welcome to the site as well! Hope we can get a scoop as to what's going on behind the counter! 

Yup agree with that ! I found my self getting grumpy with our parts guys at time’s waiting for parts not taking in to consideration they get busy with customers and other folks! Go get the stuff you self and get shit for that ! They get pissed cause you did so! Happy to be away from it truthfully!Worse is when the bring in the wrong parts pretending they know what you need! Used to piss me off too!

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, BOBWhite said:

Yeah I'd say so. Bad parts counter service is almost entirely the fault of the company's system and training not the individual employee (although sometimes the guy might just be an a hole). And to be fair, getting yelled at by old farts all day ought to get old when its the system that's at fault.

Welcome to the site as well! Hope we can get a scoop as to what's going on behind the counter! 

My job is usually pretty boring, as I'm a shop parts salesman. I exclusively handle parts for our shop "technicians," so I thankfully never have to deal with customers on the front counter. We still have our own frustrations don't get me wrong...

We've seen some crazy failures before, from a previous owner running exhaust manifold studs too far into the block, destroying two pushrods, to a roadside service (that Volvo uptime called for the driver) botching a wheel seal job and ruining both spindles, hubs, and brakes. Fun stuff. 

EDIT: I somehow skipped the part about bad parts people: It can go both ways, but usually leans to bad training on the company's end. My training was being put next to the older guy that was a wealth of knowledge, no actual company training at all. If I didn't have a brain for it, I wouldn't have been able to keep up.

Edited by The Heinz
  • Like 2