Winter is back

mowerman

I remember watching a Sunoco tanker, trying to get out of a gas station and all he was doing was spinning and spinning. That was 40 years ago. I don’t even know how i remember that.

Speaking of chains reminds me of being in the mountains of Germany when in the Army many years ago. They did not plow and the snow built up. We ran the deuce and a half's with all wheels chained. The tandems had double chains. Definitely a rough ride if not in loose snow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brocky said:

In 70 when I worked for the predecessor of Matlack hauling petroleum nights, from Syracuse NY to the St Lawrence River Valley, with tag axle White coupe cab with a 220 and 10 speed, I had to chain up several times to get from the main road into the distributor and back out of his tank farm. Also learned to leave an S curve in the discharge hose so when I was still half loaded I could move the drives out of the ice pockets made by the warm tires!!!! 

(lol)  I had to read that several times before I understood what you meant.  Now I get it.... pretty clever .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HarryS said:

Speaking of chains reminds me of being in the mountains of Germany when in the Army many years ago. They did not plow and the snow built up. We ran the deuce and a half's with all wheels chained. The tandems had double chains. Definitely a rough ride if not in loose snow.

yes, I’m quite familiar with the three railers I used to have to use them on donner pass… bob

1 hour ago, mechohaulic said:

now as we all sit in the senior citizen homes :: look at all the memories WE have . LOL if lucky enough the  younger generations that feel sorry for US old folk  will think::"they lost their memory =what are tire chains"

That’s just about the size of it bud….. now our central dispatch allows our bottom feeders to drive back to Reno if they feel donner pass is too dangerous…. You gotta be shitten me?????? 

• Haha 1

Well, since we are reminiscing..  The coldest I have experienced was in Rangley Maine, back in '94-'95.. For 1 week it was -45, and warmed up to -40..  I had an '87 Camaro at the time,  and it froze shut and I couldnt open the doors for days.. I actually went to town on a snowmobile. I had been living in Maine since '81, so harsh winters were nothing new..  We had a heavy snow with squall's, and when it was over, the snow drift on the front of our house was so high, that when we opened the front door, the snow was piled up to 6 inches short of the top of the door frame. There was even an impression of the front door in the snow..   When I tell folks here in Central N.C., they think i'm crazy or full of crap..   It was real..   Jojo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 67RModel said:

Before my time but wasn't the Blizzard of 1978 some big deal?

Blizzard of '78 l was driving a ten wheel GMC 9500 dump truck in Manchester NH. l lived ten miles from the city and didn't see home for five days. We would do snow removal for ten hours of our own parking lots starting in the morning. Dumping the snow over the granite wall into the river at the end of a local street. Then get a two-three hour nap and start hauling snow for the city being loaded by a snow blower. That snow we dumped thru two holes in the Granite St bridge. They had the two sections made to be removed so we could straddle them. City of Boston had guys in Manchester trying to recruit trucks to go to Boston. lt was fun you know...Back when it was fun. lol  Here are two videos on the storm.    .....Hippy 

• Like 2

Look at the still picture of that first video with the man sitting on the hood of his car. In the background there looks to be a bobtail Brockway and a White 9000 pulling a van trailer. I'm not sure if its a 9000 or a Road Boss but its definitely a White cab. I don't recognize the grille. 

• Like 1

In the blizzard of '78 the water lines in our high school froze and flooded the building, we had to have split sessions in the junior high until they fixed it. Our house was all electric and we didn't have any alternate heat so we stayed with the neighbors for a few days until the power came back on. We didn't have school for a couple of weeks I think. A farmer friend had to use his loader to clear out our driveway--I think the drift was several feet high.

• Like 1

Not sure if I remember the Blizzard of ‘78, but I know that I’ve heard a lot about it over the years. My Dad was a Ford truck salesman and plowed for one of his customers, Don Caliacco, in a 2wd Dynahoe at the Braintree Mall. They couldn’t leave the mall so they ended up sleeping on store shelves at Jordan Marsh. 

He said that they sent a loader ahead of the fuel truck plowing their own way to the fuel depot (or maybe the yard?). First loader ran out of fuel and they had to send another!

• Like 1

Oh my God Braintree I haven’t even heard that name in years. Yes, the storm was horrible. People were crippled for weeks running out of milk and bread eggs nobody could even go anywhere they were stuck in the house. They were lucky and they could even get out of their house the snow is so deep And certain areas 

Mowerman,you talked about seeing a Sunoco tanker spinning his wheels trying get out of the station.The problem they had was that the back rear was dead.They had problems even when they weren’t in snow the back rears were dead.Here in PA they would send them tractors to Florida for the winters,one of their drivers were telling me.

Sounds like somebody was thinking you could even get stuck with one of those coming out of a parking lot onto the road where it drops down a bit. I’m sure that’s happened before. Yes as I mentioned I don’t even know how I remember that it was 40 years or so ago when I lived back there it was right there in my small town gas station, just up the road and we only had a few inches of snow, but that guy was going back-and-forth trying to get that rig out of there out here we carry what we call cheater chains we use for situations like that just a little length of chain you stick it around the tire and through the rim and hook it has a hook on the end just enough to get you out of the yard or we use them sometimes to hook up our trailers. Also if the yard is full of snow in the road is fine…. Bob

• 3 weeks later...